1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD 64 Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pop_Smith, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hi everyone, i recently built myself a PC for Christmas, the processor i picked out was a AMD 64 3200+, but, when i run CPU-Z it says the L2 is 512 KBytes (or half of what i expected), as i thought AMD 64's had 1MB of L2.
    What is up? Am i just mistaken, or is there something wrong with my processor?

2. Pentium

Pentium Member

Was your cpu Retail, meaning brand new inside it's box. And if so did any of the lables say it has 1mb L2?
    This sometimes gets frustrating. I had this same problem. I bought my Cpu which was NON retail, and the seller clamied the cpu was a 3.2ghz with 800mhz bus and 1mb of L2. When i put into my computer it said it was a 2.4ghz with 533 bus and 512 L2. It was a good thing i bought from Frys electronics. I was able to return it.

When ever you buy something like a Cpu, Always Always but it retail never Open boxed.

To answer your question return the cpu, and get the right one you wanted, some stores even let you test the cpu on their computers to see if it works. SO GO Return your Cpu as soon as you can. I think most stores have a 10 to 15 day return Policy.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly the Newcastle core has 512 L2 and the Clawhammer core is the one with 1MB L2.

I've my eye on an A64 3700+ Clawhammer :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@Pentium, no there was nothing on the box that said "1MB L2 cache" i just thought the newer AMD 64's had 1MB L2s.
    @Neph, your probably right, CPU-Z says my core is Winchester, with 512 KBytes of L2.

is it gonna benefit my gaming very much? Because i just went and upped myself to 1GB of RAM @ the store where i bought the CPU. If its not that much more, and it does TONS for my gaming, i'll upgrade to a 1MB L2 Cache processor.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Not all A64's have 1MB L2 - see my above post ;)

6. soban

soban Member

hi

i have a big problem on my hand. I am getting a new computer and i have to decide cpu should i get. choices are athlon 64 3400 1mb L2 cache socket754 and athlon 3500+ 512 cache socket 939. What do u guys think i should get.

I love to have 1 mb cache but i dont want to get socket 754 and 3500+ problem is 512k cache. So if you guys can tell me which one is faster that would be great help.

thanks
    soban

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go with athlon 3500+ 512 cache socket 939 as other socket is or will be discontinued

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

go with the 939 socket, as it is the newest one and it will be as "Future Proof" as you can currently get (lots of places like my board, its very "future proof" from what a few techs said @ the place where my dad got the parts)

10. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

As you are all aware I have a 64-bit CPU, I was wondering, is there any apps that take advantage of this? Or do i need to get a new OS before i can use 64-bit apps?

11. soban

soban Member

there is a windows longhorn 64bit demo version. you can download from internet. there is 64bit version of computer game far cry. the trial version of windows xp x64 is out there at microsoft web page and you can download it. other than that i have no idea of any game or os that can use the 64 bit cpu.