1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or AMD Opteron 275 Dual-Core?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by BTFan, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I have an Acer T180 (AST180-EA381B) which includes an AMD Athlon 64 3800+. I upgraded to RAM to 2GB and the graphics card is pretty good: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

The only thing bugging me is the processor: it's not a dual-core and it's not very powerful. I am willing to change the processor but my motherboard can only support the AMD Opteron 200 series (which is what I read on Google, please notify me if I am wrong) so I searched eBay for an AMD Opteron 275 Dual-Core 2.2 GHz (which is one of the best in its series) and found one for around $100 CAD with shipping.

Should I change processors? Is the AMD Opteron 275 Dual-Core better than the AMD Athlon 64 3800+?

Thanks!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's socket 939, which means it will support at least the other X2s, 4200,4400,4600,4800.To be fair though, none of these will give anywhere near as much extra performance as a Core 2 Duo based setup. I'd wait until you can afford to upgrade the rest of the system. The graphics card is actually really terrible by modern standards, but if it's sufficient for your purposes then it's best left alone, the system won't have the cooling or power to add a better GPU.
    (For reference, current graphics cards are between 50 and 150 times as powerful as the 6150SE)

3. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I am willing to switch to a dual-core AMD Athlon 64 like the 5200 or the 6000 but I don't think my motherboard will support it so I'm looking for a processor that my motherboard will support. I don't mind changing the motherboard but I read that chaning my motherboard and putting a better one requires changing the PC's case which I don't want to do. Please help me decide what to do and please correct me if needed.

As for my graphics card, it's not terrible. When I bought my PC, it came with Windows Vista Home Basic and 512MB DDR2 RAM so I updated it to 2GB and then some Windows download told me the best OS for my PC is Windows Vista Home Premium. I didn't even touch the graphics card and all the Windows Aero effects work great and smoothly (Glass, Flip3D, live thumbnails etc.). Also, I don't play cutting edge games but all online games I tried work great.

So once again please tell me if I'm right or wrong about the processor issue and please help me decide which processor to buy.

Thanks!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Aero doesn't use any graphical power, it just requires a graphicscard that can actually render 3D. Similarly online games (I'm assuming you're thinking flash-based ones here) aren't even rendered by the graphics card most of the time, so it's never being used. Try and play anything modern on the PC and it wouldn't work - but, it's all down to use, if you don't need to play games like those, then there's no problem in you having the 6150SE. Just don't go spreading rumours the 6150SE is a good card, that's all... :)

As for the CPU, the highest one you're likely to be able to put in is a 4800+ or perhaps an Opteron 175, if you can find one. I don't know about the Opteron 200s as typically they're only used in dual-CPU boards, I wouldn't risk it, personally.

5. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

OK, I'll consider a 4800 X2. But can I change my processor to Intel? or will i have to change the mobo too?

You said the graphics card is terrible. i never said its great..i mean its "decent".

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, but as someone who plays games on their PC (the only thing a graphics card is really used for) I have to state exactly how powerful graphics cards are, and the 6150SE can barely play three year old games at minimum settings.

As for the CPU, you will need a new board and memory to use an Intel chip - but doing so is highly recommended, you'll get far greater performance than with almost any compatible CPU with your existing board.

7. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I would like t change my CPU to an Intel one thus also changing my motherboard but I need to know:

1) Which Intel chip should I get if I don't play hardcore games but I watch a lot of video and love fast computers? I am looking for a combo chip and motherboard for around $100-$120.
    2) If I change my motherboard will I also have to change the computer's case?
    3) Where can I get a combo motherboard and CPU
    4) Which Intel processors series is the best for em and which model.

Thanks a lot.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't want to buy a CPU/Motherboard combo, buy them separately, combos are nasty things, very ill-featured and often low quality - note, CPUs are not preinstalled in them anyway.

I'd recommend something like an E2160 and P35-DS3L, which should set you back in the region of $150.

9. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

OK thank you so much.
    But three last questions:

-If I change the motherboard will I have to change the computer's case?
    -Are you sure my computer which came OEM with AMD will work with Intels?
    -Lastly where can I get the motherboard and processor you suggested?

Thanks so much.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1. If it's a Micro ATX case it won't fit an ATX motherboard. If it's a proper ATX one however it will, easy way to check this is to check what size your current board is (if it's microATX it'll have three or four slots at the bottom, full size ATX will have six or seven). If you have a microATX board but there is another set of screw holes below it your case can also fit a full size board.
    2. No reason why not, as long as you don't have a low rated PSU.
    3. See the links in my signature.

11. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Currently I can't open my PC but it's an Acer ASPT180-EA381B, 14" high and 6.5" wide and:
    [​IMG]
    Will the motherboard you suggested fit?

Also, how do I see what my "PSU" is rated (I have no idea what it is..)?

Lastly do you have direct links to what you suggested (MB and CPU)?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks like a microATX case, so you probably won't be able to put a full size ATX board in it. However, since you're not looking at getting a proper graphics card, that suits as small boards often have integrated graphics.

13. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

OK.

So what motherboard/cpu (brand, model) should I get WITHOUT changing the case and where can I get them?

Thanks.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

OK thanks

but what processor does it have and is it duo (X2)? Also, is it only 1,6GHz? Lastly, what graphics card and sound card does it include?

Thanks an a million thanks for elping me throughout this.
    I hope this MB will fit in my PC without having to change the case.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Does the E2180 include a motherboard? Can I put the e2180 in my pc without having to change the motherboard or the case.
    thanks-

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, and no.
    Sorry.

19. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Do you know a max. 50$ motherboard in which I can install this processor. A motherboard with a graphics adapter and DDR2 slots and a sound card? Also can a barebone MB take the sound card and graphics adapter i already have? like taking everything I have and putting it in the new MB except for the processor? I need a MB that will not require me to change the PC's case.

Thanks.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008