1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD or PENTIUM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tinker1, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Tinker1

Tinker1 Guest

Amd athlon 64, or P4
    i am buying a new cpu and cant decide what to get, either amd athlon 64 3000 or P4 prescott 3 GB

can anyone give me advice as to which one is best ?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

AMD for a gaming machine, all the way!

3. masta420

masta420 Member

i've always stuck with AMD and i'm happy with the results. AMD all the way =P

4. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

AMD is for more of the sharing files processor, it can handle "ONLINE" gaming better then a P4, but the P4 is way better at multitasking and in my opninon is more stable..

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

All of the gaming techies out there will pick an AMD over a pentium most days. Not sure of the technical differences, they just seem to be configured better for gaming purposes. Pentium people will tell you of their advantages.

Never known an AMD chip to be "unstable" though.

Pulsar

PS, I have absolutely NO intention in getting into a technical debate here. I leave that to the others.

@ Tinker1, what is the PC going to be doing? That should influence the choice of chip you use.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

2 ur query about AMD or P4

I have to agree with all above but with one change.

u may already know this.

AMD runs HOTTER than P4 its a reliable cpu i personally have AMD on my comp i am using right now.

All u may need to get is an extra Fan to keep the whole system cooler.

thats bout it on average it really depends on what ur using the pc for??

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am now longing to know what this PC is for, Tinker1 - please put us out of our misery!!

Pulsar

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My 2 AMDs, a 2600XP & a 3200 Barton have proved very reliable in both of my PCs.

9. Tinker1

Tinker1 Guest

well i would like to play games like San Andreas and i would also like to de-code divx to dvd!

and also the internet and thats about all i am needing it for!

also wat ever a pick am gonna put 1024 DDR ram with 120Gig hard disc

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I recommend a MINIMUM of a 3200 64bit Athlon. The thing that will make the difference in the gaming is your graphics card!

A 6800GT or Ultra would be nice, or SLi cards (PCI-Express). The choice is ovewhelming, especially as Nvidia has just released the new 7800 series!!

Pulsar

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Please note that Athlon64 runs [bold]much cooler[/bold] than the latest P4 toaster-ovens.
    Intel is up against the wall (hard) with energy consumption and heat dissipation, and cannot produce faster chips within the current cooling technologies.
    This is why they are hyperthreading and dual-coring, they must find AMD-equalling performance in more innovative ways.
    An Athlon64-3000 is a great CPU :^) Very powerful and inexpensive!
    I would get the Athlon64 on a MATX mobo with the new ATI XPRESS200 chipset
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=639
    and put it in an Antec Aria MATX cube-case, very kewl.
    Regards

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The heat issue was fixed in the AMD 64 line. Mine runs far cooler than the P-4 I used to have. I could even remove the noisy fan needed to keep the system cool with the P-4. Without that fan my system would lock up. Computer is nice and quiet now. In fact an AMD 64 that runs at 2.2 (3200)Ghz is cooler than the P-4 2 Ghz.

Another note on P-4 and fans. When HT hit Intel they shipped with a variable speed fan. It has a thermostat on it. If it thinks the case is getting to hot it speeds up. It sounds like a Harley is parked outside your house when at full speed. That noisy fan I had kept the variable speed fan from maxing out and was actually quieter than the Intel fan.

Multitasking. According to numbers Intel has a slight lead over AMD in this area. Really only enough for a computer to notice. A human will not notice a difference. Heck right now I am burning a DVD in Nero, Authoring a DVD to be burned, Converting files to become DVD and surfing the net all at once. The computer runs just as good as if only one thing was running. So don't tell me Intel is far better at multitasking. Just look at my specs in my sig, it is the top computer.

Games. Intel cant touch AMD here. This is human noticeable. In my exact setup with a P-4 3.2 Ghz and DFI MB as a difference. I was only getting 25FPS in Halflife 2. When I went to my current specs I jumped to 80FPS in HL2. That is a difference your eye will see.

GHZ. This is not really something you can base the speed on but I will say this. If you take an AMD anything and put it with a p-4 and both RUN at the same GHZ. Intel would not have a chance at anything. The AMD would be at the finish line before the INTEL takes one step. Makes you think who really knows how to put a processor together.

Stability. I had more lockups and unexplained reboots with HT. Pre HT P-4 are more stable. I have never had a system lockup or unexplained reboot with my AMD. Also know this INTEL now has DRM Firmware in their processors. They did not want people to know this. Somehow it leaked out and they had no choice. So by owning any new INTEL you are setting yourself up for many restrictions. The DRM alone would make me say no and this issue alone has placed all INTEL products on my personal Boycott list.

Hope my take on this helps you out a little. You will get mixed input but for games stay with AMD. You will smile a lot more. AMD64 seems to be a bit faster than XP. The 64 part really has no advantage right now but will in the future.

-Del

13. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

My last 2 computers were AMD, very stable. I'll never go back to Intel, not worth the money

14. Tinker1

Tinker1 Guest

whats the better one out of the p4 HT or the Prescott??

15. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Tinker none because they have DRM.

-Del

16. Tinker1

Tinker1 Guest

sorry whats DRM?

17. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

DRM is the reason you can't put you Itunes onto CD. Or WMA files for that matter. It is a copyright protection designed to prevent duplication to a foreign system. Very similar to SONYs Magic Gate stuff in their memory sticks. Devices that use that will not run things created from another device even if they are the same type of device. I hope you understand now.

-Del

18. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL - thought you might use the magic words, Del...
    [bold]D[/bold]igital [bold]R[/bold]ights [bold]M[/bold]anagement
    Yes it is Evil (to us, anyway :^)
    L8R

19. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

Well isnt DRM part of windows? I dont see how it relates to the cpu. You can't play DRM mp3's on another pc weather it's amd or intel.

20. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yes it is part of Windows put can also be part of firmware. You know that SONY thing I mentioned up there. It is pretty much the same as DRM and it is all hardware driven. The only software part is the coding in the files made from the original units Hardware. SO now you know a processor can have and run DRM without the need for software.

-Del