1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD vs Intel, Building PCs

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

3. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Sorry...

4. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Sorry again.. ..

5. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Sorry Again for tha third time...

6. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Got your point. LOL But I meant a link to the exact model, they have four or five?

8. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Sorry About the extra posts, for some reason my link wasn't comimg up so I kept redoing it, I guess the system was running slow...
    Sophocles, After the link comes up click VapoChill(left side), scroll down then click stand alone units... Hope this helps , once again i'm sorry for the extra posts .. .. .. .

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gottawin,
    That's how I wound up with 3 posts! I took my sig off so the mistakes don't take up too much room. Guess that's an opps!

theonejrs

10. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Ya thats what happened....

11. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

theonejrs,

Were you talking about running 2X 5200 cards in SLI??? I hate to burst you bubble but those cards aren't supported in SLI, you can only use the 6 series and above cards.. I may be wrong though... Check out http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

elusiv1,

No, I was going to use the 5200 just to get the system up and running sooner. I know that I have to get 2 of the same video cards and I know they have to match. Right now it's about $600 (USD) for 2. I just thought that I would use old faithful until I could afford the FX7800GTs.

My situation has changed somewhat recently. My friend that I share a house with has just gone back to work after an illness so for now, I pick up most of the load. As his situation improves I'll start seeing my money back. I'm not worried about it as I would trust him with my life. We have known each other for about 6 years and he can have anything I own. Good Guy!!!

Sincerely,

theonejrs

13. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Sorry about that theonejrs, good friends like that are hard to find and that's real!!! The 7800's are really going down in price though, wish I would have waited a while....SLI has been unkind to me with some games. Force activating profiles and changing rendering modes has been a great big headache for me and alot of other people..

14. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Lame, and you would think Nvidia would get there acts together and come out with a set of drivers to fix this ongoing problem with the global drivers settings and profiles bug with SLI..

To Nvidia, if your listening???

We need a set of damn drivers where we don't have to create profiles or force activate profiles for SLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on now!!!! We've done our part and spent hundreds of dollars to take the SLI plunge, why can't you do yours!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    A pissed off SLI user..........LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or you could just use Crossfire instead... :D
    Seriously, I think crossfire is underestimated now, after it's appalling launch, no one takes it seriously. There's plenty of user-friendly dual-GPU capability in twin X1800s or even 1900s, and a fair more performance over 7800GTXs until the 7900 appears... Well, the performance over the 7800 will remain, you know what I mean.

Taking an average benchmark score, a pair of 7800GTXs will perform at 97% of the speed of an X1900XTX setup. However, where I live the 7800s cost a staggering £309.00 more, that's as much as a high end single card like an X1800XT, wasted.
    But if you compare that to a single card, One single X1900XTX will go 87% of the speed of the ultimate SLi setup, that's not far off, I think you'll agree, maybe enough to drop one level of detail, not likely to notice much. The advantages are you're £767.19 richer, and you get your cards soon after you order them, not "awaiting stock" or "stock overdue". I'd imagine more than half of all PCs sold today cost less than £767.19 ($1340.29), and all for 13% more graphics power. I say it's crazy, and stand by it. God only knows what two 7900s will cost!

After reading the article on Ocing the FX60, holy cow! 35 celsius at 3.2Ghz on stock cooling? That is some stock heatsink, I say!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris
    Do you have bench results for those figures or links to where you got the info? One of the things we asked in this thread was for members to substantiate data.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've read a few benchmarks about the XT1900 and for now it is the king of the hill.

A lot of these video card advancements are more than most people will ever need or use. I play a few games and my X800 Pro is still able to play everthing that I've thrown at it with power to spare at 1280 by 1024. I'm not sure that spending a small fortune on two cards is really a good investment for me at this time.

Here's a tomshhardware review of the X1900 and it really is holding its own against SLI and beating it in most benchmarks. YOu'll note that crossfire is up there with it but who needs two cards when one will do?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/24/ati_radeon_x1900_heats_up_with_48_pixel_pipelines/

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the precise URL I got my data from, brobear.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, nice that we now have it. That's the point of this thread, reference the info instead of just saying things about equipment. Without a link to the source, there's no way of knowing where the info came from or if it's data compiled by the persion making the statement (in which case the benches would be needed).

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely, it's pointless making false claims.
    Out of interest can you even get the 512MB 7800GTX in the US? I looked on newegg and it wasn't even listed.