1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD XP2200+ problem?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by niteman, Mar 28, 2004.

1. niteman

niteman Member

Hi!

I have a question about my CPU, when I use power DVD to view movies from my harddrive or DVD-rom the CPU usage is always over 90% through the entire movie and when I print from, for example Word the CPU usage is 100%. Is this normal? My computer has been acting weird and freezing up on me lately.
    I have recently installed a 200Gb Seagate disk on a Promise PCI controller card. Can the reason for my computer freezing upp be the power unit only is 300W. I have three hard drives, a dvd bruner, a dvd rom and a graphic card installed in the computer. I have updated all drivers and flashed to the latest bios. Can a larger power unit help?

My computer configuration:
    MSI KT4 Ultra
    CPU XP2200+
    768Mb
    Chaintech TI4400 128Mb
    40Gb excelstor
    80Gb Western digital
    200Gb Seagate 7200.7
    Promise 100TX2 controller card
    Samsung DVD
    Nec 1300A DVD +/- RW

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  2. Russ1982

Russ1982 Guest

what one has windows on
    40Gb excelstor or 80Gb Western digital or 200Gb Seagate 7200.7? or it can be it need a 400w Power Supplie.

3. niteman

niteman Member

Hi!

I have a c: partion = 15Gb which windows XP SP1 is installed on the 40Gb disk. The rest of the disk I have my programs D:

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

There could be a number of reasons for that. Have you ran a check for spyware? What is in your startup routine? How about virus scan; are your files up to date, and you've ran a recent scan? What has changed in the time the computer acted normally to now?

5. niteman

niteman Member

Hi!

I'm using AdAware 6 for spyware detection, Norton Systemworks 2003 Prof. edition AntiVirus program and ZoneAlarm Pro with webfiltering as my Firewall.
    I have recently run all possible test and fixed the different problems that have accured but still the same thing. I have removed the new 200Gb disk, promise controller card and DVD-rom player. My computer still freezes but not for the same amount of time. When I print documents the computer "chokes" and the mouse cursor moves extremly slowly.
    There are many different files in the startup list...
    Nerocheck
    Microsoft Office
    ccApp
    NvCpl
    Nwiz
    zlclient
    msmgs
    among others...

Before the problems accured the computer never froze up on me, I don't recall if the CPU usage was over 90% when I watched movies or not but when I printed documents earlier the usage was 100% but no freezing up. Other weird things are that it takes alot of time to open programs and if I want to switch between both applications the window of the firts application is still open infront of the one that I want.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Sounds like you are on top of things. So far, all those appear to be normal startup programs. The only thing is the "among others." I usually do a google search for anything else in the startup. If Google can't find it, I get rid of it.

But also, with all those devices in the computer, I would look at upgrading the power supply. And don't cheap out, as you already know. I've seen cheap power supply's kill motherboards when they go.

7. niteman

niteman Member

Hi!
    I've just ordered an new Levicom ATX 450W PSU... I'll post again after I've installed it next week.

Thanks for all the tips and help so far =)

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Check DMA vs PIO
    2. Check that cache has been enabled in BIOS
    3. In PowerDVD make sure you enable "hardware acceleration"