1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp decision.

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by dj_dn, Mar 18, 2007.

1. dj_dn

dj_dn Member

Hi, I am currently looking to buy a new stereo amp/pre amp, a stereo integrated amplifier or a stereo receiver. I will be using some brand new Paradigm monitor 7 V5 towers with the amp. I don’t need a Tuner or any video in.

What I want in the amp: enough power to get the towers to there peak performance, clear sound, a sub output for a powered sub, 3 or more rca inputs, a phono stage and a line out (for recording).

My budget is about 600$ CND.

Models I was looking at: MARANTZ SR4021, DENON DRA397CI, NAD C352, YAMAHA AX497 and YAMAHA RX797.

There was all so a few American direct buys but the shipping and the duties would cost me a fortune, I would need to get it shipped to a cousin and wait 2-3 months to get it. They are the RR2150 from OUTLAW and the RPA-1 from Emotiva.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The Yamaha RX 797 is the most powerful of the amps you listed and you can't go wrong with a Yamaha. NAD makes excellent equipment, but in my experience doesn't have as many features as the other leaders. Denon is very solid and Marantz has been around for forever and a day. I don't think you will be disappointed in any of these choices. I would personally go for Yamaha, but that is just my preference.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I agree with LOCO although Denon is my personal favorite...but that's exactly it....they're all good amps so its more a matter of personal taste. You might also want to check out the better JVCs; contrary to popular opinion, they don't just make ghetto blasters ... on a limited budget, they sometimes have a better bang for the buck. Just FYI: I noticed that Radio Shack is now selling Yamaha products; I saw some pretty decent deals but I didn't look that closely as I'm not in the market .. I was just a bit surprised to see them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  4. LOCOENG

I don't disagree at all....my current reciever is a Yammyhammer, but the next will more than likely be a Denon. Unless I can talk the wife into letting me spring for a Sunfire.

http://www.sunfire.com/TGR3.htm

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Loco....I've never heard one before. Seems awesome....can't beat the specs!

6. LOCOENG

The price makes it pretty easy to overlook...Remember the old Carver amps...this is Bob Carvers new company.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Loco...then it's out of my league! I have a Denon 3805 and the 2007 equivalent model costs about $1,600 and the only real difference is that I only have component ins/outs while the newer models also have HDMI in and out. I'm not so dedicated to high tech as to spend that much money on an upgrade which is hardly (if at all) noticable LOL! Knock on wood, this damned thing had better last me for eternity and beyond!

8. LOCOENG

I have an old Yamaha RX-V890...next to the top of the line about 10 years ago and still does what I want it to do. I bought it second hand when it was about 6 months old from a guy who bought Denons flagship at the time for $500. I thought it was a stead because he also gave me his reciept from when he bought it for $1100.

We can dream can't we? LOL