1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMP + Speaker replacement.

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by DMW, May 23, 2005.

1. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi guys,
    I am after some opinions on some replacement gear.

I currently have an Arcam Xeta one amp, a pair of Jamo GaleForce 35 front speakers, some Mourdant short rears (forget the model) and a Jamo centre (forget the model)..I'm at work at the minute so can't check models. I have a NAD cd-player, Kenwood twin tape-deck (yup, i still have cassettes) and a sony mini-disc player.

Now, I have had problems with my Arcam for some time now, when watching a film for about an hour the sound will suddenly stop coming out of one front speaker, left or right, its random. If it doesnt do this, the sound goes amazingly hissy, like someone is wiggling the speaker cable.

I have ripped all the wires out and re-done them, I have tried different wire and still couldn't sort it. I tried my speakers on a different amp and they were fine.
    A friend of mine was looking and we started to play a cd, if he tapped on the top of the amp, it did the same things, so he said it must be a dry joint. He opened it up (I got scared) and he looked around, but said he couldnt see one.

Sorry to bore you, but if you made it this far, this is the bit I want opinions on.

The arcam amp is old, no question about it, I love it, but it's old.

Should I spend money on getting it repaired or just look for a new amp? I don't want to spend loads on it, just a nice decent amp for listening to my music and watching films.

The other question, I am getting rid of my front Jamo speakers, they are too big now for the way I have my room laid out. Any recomend on some replacements there? Idealy floor standing towers, again, not out to spend a fortune. Are Jamo any good at making speakers these days?
    And should I sell all my speakers and get a 5.1 set?

Any help appreciated as always guys. This really isn't my field, but I do want a good sounding system.

Cheers.

2. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

id just get a new amp. you can get a used one for pretty cheap off ebay. unless you want 5.1 and just want a new receiver.

im really not sure about jamco, but if you want new floorstanding speaker id recommend looking at PSB, Paradigm, Athena, Ascend, Axiom, Monitor Audio, and others. lots of people like Polk too. Any of those companies would make you more than pleased im sure.

i have axioms and love them.. they are only internet retailers though, but highly respected, as are all of those companies.

athenas are nice and pretty cheap, but the new line is supposed to be dissapointing, so id go with the older line.

im not sure what you consider a fortune, but i think the cheaper floorstanding speakers by these companies are around 700 bucks for the pair.

Last edited: May 25, 2005