1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue video from vhs tapes to pc

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by teka1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. teka1

teka1 Member

I want to copy by VHS tpaes of family home movies from my VCR before it fails and I don't know where to start or what information is relevant

Anyway ...

I'm in the UK so my tv system is PAL

My VCR has SCART socket and I have a collection of cables including adapaters for DIN type connection

My PC is a Packard Bell IXTREME X2711 PB81X06201 with
    Intel core 2 quad processor Q6600
    2 GB of memory
    nVidia GeForce 8500 GT (display adapter)
    conectors are
    DVI? Coax type
    DVI? Multipin
    VGA – monitor
    S-Video
    tv tuner anlogue/digital – listed as AUSTeK Tiger 2 Capture device by device manager
    data sheets says analogue video is sampled by ADCs, decode by multi-line and active comb filters
    conector audio/video input for spider cable
    audio L/R RCA input
    S-Video mini-DIN
    compostite RCAvideo input
    internal tv audio output
    Realtek High Def. audio

Operating system is Vista Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker installed

What to do first?
    Can I use the s-Video connector on the AUSTeK card for analogue input from the SCART connector on the VCR?

All help appreciated

Teka

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. teka1

teka1 Member

Thanks Attar

I tried Videohelp with no response

I'm a newbie and wonder what I'm doing wrong - is my question rude, too long or have I done something inappropriate.

Any comments will be appreciated

Teka

4. attar

attar Senior member

I don't think so.
    SCART is a UK (?) connector that I'm not familiar with, so no help there.
    My tuner card has an S-Video connector and a mini stereo input and can be programmed to record from it.
    If your card can be set to record from the analog input using whatever software (I was using Beyond TV) then it's just a matter of starting the tape and seeing if it comes up on the screen.

5. attar

attar Senior member

BTW, when did you post on Videohelp and have you tried 'bumping' it?

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

You should look for the pinouts from the scart socket.. it's a standard config. Quite a few scart-rca adapters come with s-video connection, but unless your video actually puts out an appropriate signal on those scart pins you will be out of luck.

[​IMG]

simple enough .. now it gets tricky..

[​IMG]

as you can see s-video is rgb+y .. 3 colour signals plus the luminance information.. These signals are usually available inside a vhs encoder buried within a player/recorder (and in a tv decoder as well) but whether they actually make it out of the case is another matter.. Thats down to you to find out.. A standard scart connection does not have these signals available.. They are often labeled inside a video recorder tho.. look for R-Y B-Y and Y testpoints (green is actually the luma signal = Y).. system called "colour difference" modulation using the chroma under luma broadcast standard.. .. that will show you where you need to look.. You might get lucky and find chroma and luma takeoff points.. which will just need a simple low value capacitor to isolate the dc content from your input (if there is a dc offset.. usually not), but the 2 pieces of equipment may not be grounded to the same polarity of mains wire making the takeoff and the input FULL MAINS potential between them..!!!!! be aware.. or make it easy on yourself and go and buy a capture card with straight composite video and audio inputs..

Damn I know a lot about this subject........ like anybody with a professional broadcast tv/telecommunications background should.

The only major problem you might run into is in scart-scart connections where the "on" signal was never actually specified as +ve or not+ve (pin 8) .. different bits of equipment vary in their usage.. so one piece of equipment will function perfectly with another but not with a third.. a little crazy really when the rest was nicely standardised..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011