1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and round #1 goes to HD-DVD...

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by diabolos, Jun 21, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That thread is good but makes one mistake. HDMI 1.0 can handle upto 8 channels of 24/192 PCM data.

From the HDMI.org Faq page...
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/faq.asp

If the players supports it is another issue.

Its not a big deal but you know how I am :)

I have not read the intire thread but I did see 7.1 mentioned. If the source audio is Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 and the player can output the PCM version via Analog audio outs to a 7.1 receiver without HDMI, it is still possible to to get 7.1 playback. Simply send the 6 channels to the receiver and enable [bold]Dolby Pro-Logic IIx[/bold]. DPL IIx should be able to find the center channels "downmixed" or "matrixed" into the surrounds and feed the extra sounds to the appropriate "center back" speakers.

Like this...
    [​IMG]

Or like this if the receiver does have HDMI (but not HDMI 1.3)...
    [​IMG]

For more info...
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_1.html

DPL IIx...
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_IIx.html

7.1 is always possible, even with a 2.0 source!
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Great post Ced - using DPLIIx. This should be a viable alternative to those of us who don't have HDMI on their AV receivers.

--------------------

Just found this bit of info:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1979393,00.asp

So the first BluRay equipped PC's can't even play BD's?

3. dnglebry

dnglebry Guest

thats the word on the street. Granted blu-ray is supposedly better in quality it also cost twice as much and having more memory at htis time isnt needed

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@eatsushi & Ced:
    I haven't tried the analog outs as I have a Pioneer DVD/DVD-A/SACD combo player hooked up. Maybe I'll try Ced's DPL IIx setting this weekend. Ced's correct: the DD+ soundtrack is re-encoded by the Toshiba to DTS and that is what's passed thru the digital coax to the receiver. Thanks both for the links - they're very informative.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well the street is wrong...

Blu-ray as not released any titles using 50 GB DL discs. Some people have said that they are having problems not only with making 50 BG discs but also 25 GB discs.

So to put things is prospective...

The HD-DVD camp has perfected (mass produced for a resonable cost) their 30 GB DL media and have used it with many titles that need the extra space.

So for all of Blu-rays tough talk about more capacity they are actually 5+ GB behind HD-DVD at the moment.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It seems that the biggest reasone the Samsung player isn't better than the toshiba player is that they use the same chip set! They both read the 1080i@24fps signals from the disc and de-interlace to 1080i. To output a 1080p signal the Samsung player uses the DCDi chips by Faroudja. People have reported that the chips simply line-double instead of using more advaced scaling schemes that the chips should be capable of?

So the point is if everything was equal the toshiba player still wouldn't appear worse since a good 1080p set and surely any external scaler will de-interlace the 1080i signal better than the Samsung.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  7. mudearies

mudearies Guest

no!, blu-ray is the best ,go away anti-sony kids.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm not anti Blu-ray I'm anti Samsung Blu-players. The fact is the players is a bad deal for $1,000. Maybe the Sony or Pioneer players will be better?

@ mudearies,

Why don't you do some research on those players and post someting relavent to your cause that is rooted in fact instead of dreams?

Ced

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mudearies,
    guess what, lightning struck!!

10. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

LOL mudearies got banned great stuff, he personally turned me away from the Ps3 no joke.