1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Android Box that streams 4K video via USB

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by MadroxKnox, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MadroxKnox

MadroxKnox Newbie

Hi everybody,

I'm extremely new to Android Boxes and fairly ignorant as to how they work. I just bought my first 4KTV and have nothing that streams 4K content. So as the title states I'm looking for a box that will let me stream 4K videos in 4K off of a USB stick and have the standard apps, Netflix etc.

I've tried emailing companies directly but none of them seem to want to get back to me so I figured I'd give the tried and tested method of the forum a go. Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not sure why it has to be strictly an "Android Box?" Why not just get a streaming device that's standalone, even many TV's will accept USB inputs but it's not necessary to stream. It streams in 4K. I purchased a ROKU Ultra which has its own power source. It works with wifi and it has an Ethernet port which I prefer. My computer monitor is a TV so I connect it directly to my set through the HDMI port. You can use it to stream Netflix, Hulu, Prime, or any other other pay streaming services. It's even setup with several free channels with decent, albeit with commercials, selection of movies.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. MadroxKnox

MadroxKnox Newbie

Mainly said android box as it's the most common. I'm open to any streaming device that I can play 4K videos from external HDD.
    Does the Roku Ultra allow for USB playback?

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does have USB out, but I'm not sure if USB is even capable of 4K UHD resolution, but it will do 1080 HD. I don't know why you would want to stream via USB if your set has HDMI inputs because the ROKU player can connect directly to via HDMI. Most modern computers can connect via HDMI through a Dual DVI port on your video card, and a Dual DVI to HDMI adapter which can be purchased for about $10 or less. I have my ROKU sitting on my PC, but it's connected straight from the ROKU to my TV set, as is my computer, but my blu-ray player is connected to my PC and it outputs through my computer Dual DVI to HDMI. I haven't used an actual computer monitor in nearly a decade. There is no need for your computer and your streaming device to be connected because there's no reason for them to interact. All you need is the TV remote to switch inputs from your streaming device to your computer, or whatever else you have connected within the limitations of your HDMI inputs, and even that can be overcome with yet another adapter. Look on the back of your computers graphic output to see if you have a dual DVI. I will include an image of the ROKU's specifications and a link to a page that explains Dual DVI (DVI-D) and DVI (DVI-I differences.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

roku.JPG