1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Animated User Bars***

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Nephilim, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys, the animated userbars are really cool but with many of them averaging almost 200k they're way over the 50k limit in the forum rules. We needs to be courteous to those on dialup so keep in mind the 50k limit if you're thinking of using one :)

2. Bokijin

Bokijin Member

could we not have a poll to see what the ratio of people using dial up are to broadband and witohut a shadow of a doubt about 95% of ad users have broadband.This way we can have much longer sigs(timewise)

3. Nephilim

It's a nice idea but it wouldn't include the thousands of folks who lurk here before joining. If they have to wait ages to load a page here they'll most likely cruise off to a site where they don't fight off old age trying to get some answers.

4. Bokijin

Bokijin Member

lol nicely put

point taken

5. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

you know i dont understand why people just dont switch to broadband you can pay the same price for broadband as you are doing for dial up.
    so those people still stuck on dial up, get broadband its a rip off staying on dial up when you can pay the same price for a faster connection.

6. Nephilim

Things to keep in mind are the fact that not all areas have broadband available - the companies only invest in areas with enough potential customers to make it worth their while. Also not everyone has the money for broadband. Dial up can be had for ten bucks a month whereas in my area your two primary choices for broadband run $40 to $50 a month.

7. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

oh yh never thought of that, but over here in England broadband can be realy cheap the same price as dial up and there are a range of companies to choose from, i guess the two companies are takeing advantage of your location to set the price, realy unfair.

8. jaysfan

jaysfan Regular member

How can you compare the price of dialup with broadband?

here in canada you can get dialup for $3 (295.ca)
    or the cheapest broadband for $39.99 (sympatico, what i have)

9. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

your in Canada i am in England, we can compare.
    because there are so much companies about competeing that the price gets loweer and lower.
    over here you can get £14.99 a month dial up but for the same price some other company will give you broadband.
    the lowest cost for dial up over here is free, there a select few companies that provide it for free but dont give you any service on it.

10. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

also you can get free broadband from like 4 providers

11. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Also for people that travel on business....not all hotels have wireless or broadband. However they will supply you with dialup in the rooms....not mcuh but for the most part all you need to keep in touch with the office.

I will also agree on the broadband not being available to some. Since for the first 2 years that I was on this site I was in an area that fits that description.

There could be a way around all this though. If the site was scripted to not show avatars and sigs by default,then even lurkers wouldn't be burdened by them. Once a person joined they could opt to turn the graphix on if they felt like it.

The only drawback is that the lurkers might see the site as being "bland" and might venture elsewhere.

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

yeah,i went to a cafe and got free wireless net access for just buying a cup of coffee.Its great if u have a laptop(you can go shopping then see something then go back to cafe to see how much it is online eg to sell on ebay and if it will make a profit go and buy it)

13. URYNOME

URYNOME Member

hows this one?

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@URYNOME - pls test sigs by sending yourself private messages, thanks

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I live in th UK, there are vast amount of areas that do not have broadband, rural areas etc.

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

the case is now cupped in my left hand :)

18. necroviz

necroviz Guest

over here in the land downunder (Australia) broadband for unlimited access is AU $50 (AU money is about half of american $) thats for 512 kb/s. for T2, thats about $80

19. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

well i am also located in Australia, the cheapest broadband i have found is with dodo internet for 9.90 a month on a contract with home phone and stuff, but there is a like 70mb limit on downloads.

the otherwise cheapest i have found for normal is also with them, a 256k line for around 40 something dollars a month.

but it works out cheaper for me with dialup, i have unlimited time and bandwidth for 30$ a month. no overcharges.

so i really do wish i had broadband, but i still dont think i will begetting it any time soon.

20. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

I see, well I guess I am lucky for living in London then.
    But I am sure pretty soon they will be putting new infustructure up around those rural and hard to reach areas then everyone can enjoy broadband at low costs, over here in London you can get a 8 Meg Unlimited briadband package with Tiscali, with no download limits, but it has a fair usage policy though.
    But believe it or not back when dial up wqas all we had and broadband was still in its early years and cost an even bigger fortune, i had dial up, and believe it or not it was as fast as a 500k connecton, in terms of page loadings and stuff, the download speed was ok aswell.
    But i still like broadband.
    I wonder if there will be a new revolution in internet access after the broadband, maybe the military can help out?