1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anorher 1394/firewire question

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by 4fit?, Mar 21, 2005.

1. 4fit?

4fit? Guest

Actually, how do I know if my PC is equiped with a IEEE 1394 or firewire connection? What does it look like? I have 2 USB ports on my front panel, but I am uncertain what I have on the back. I took a quick glimpse, but I really don't know what I am looking for. Does it look like a USB port? Is there an identifier of sorts that I can look for?

Also, if I don't have a 1394 or firewire connection, is there any other way to get my data off of my MiniDV and to the PC?

Sorry for all the newbie questions and thanks for any advice that you are able to provide.

2. juice90

juice90 Member

a firewire port is different. kinda looks like a usb port, but a bit bigger and is shaped like a V at one end, sorta like this.. =>
    As fire data transfer, some cameras use a usb 2 connection, and some use a DV connection. You would have to check with in the manual to see which it uses.
    If you have a DV connection, but no firewire port, u can get a firewire card from ur puter store, and it should come with the cable and software to hook it up, and a program to capture the vidio.
    Hope this helps

3. 4fit?

4fit? Guest

Thanks.
    I have the Canon ZR200, so whatever it came with. I need to take a closer look at my PC to make sure that I don't already have the connection and I am just overlooking it. I may even pull out the documentation on my PC and see if it says anything.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

5. Ecnal

Ecnal Member

Is a DV connection better than a USB one? I have noticed that the quality of my captured video varies based on the program used, and I've been told that I should try to use something other than USB. My camera does not have a firewire port.

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes.
    The quality will be exactly the same as on tape when you use Firewire, independent of the capturing program.