1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another BIN\CUE question

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jeanj, Jan 20, 2003.

1. jeanj

jeanj Member

Right! I have read through most of the threads and think I have a reasonable grasp on what to do with BIN and CUE files.

So this is my scenario:

I have two BIN files for a game, each of which I created CUE files for and burned to 2 CD's. This worked perfectly fine when I was using Alcohol 120% (using RAW SOA) and all the files appeared to be on the CD's and I was ready to start the setup process.

However, when it asks me for the second CD during setup there is a really long pause before it does so, and when I enter the second CD and press "Enter" it tells me that "Setup could not find a specified component...".
    This then marks the end of my hopeful setup.

So, please help, and give me any suggestions...should I maybe burn the image to CD using RAW DAO instead of RAW SAO?

Good job u r doing with this site! (It seems to be a regular top spot holder in my google.com searches on this subject)

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The only difference between SAO (Session-At-Once) and DAO (Disc-At-Once)is that the first records only one session at a time, thus avoiding to close the disc (unless you choose a specific option in your cd-burner software).

SAO is good because it is capable (as DAO) to write multitrack audio sessions without putting intertracks gaps. The only drawback using DAO is that you might have forgotten to close the disc (you can check this if your disc is closed with many programs - Isobuster, for instance. Just right-click on the disc name).

I do not think this is the cause of your program not running. Maybe there is some protection scheme taking place.
    Can you post the game name? It is not the infamous SimCity4, is it?

3. jeanj

jeanj Member

Thanks aldaco12,

No it is the infamous Battlefield 1942.

Any idea of how I can bypass the security protection scheme and with what software?

Thanks again!

4. jeanj

jeanj Member

I think the protection is Safedisk v2, (saw this on gamecopyworld).

But still, will this help me when burning a copy?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, actually it helps.
    In Alcohol 120% (ver 1.4.0) , select the image you want to burn, choose 'Image Burning Wizard' and in the second screen select the Datatype 'Safedisc 2'.
    You'll see that this forces the program to choose 'RAW DAO' and 'Bypass EFM Error'.

If your burner is not capable to burn this way you're done. Well, you can always try RAW SAO plus 'Bypass EFM Error', it could work.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Well, not exactly "done" as you still can emulate the SafeDisc, by mounting the image as a virtual drive.

7. jeanj

jeanj Member

hello again.
    i'm still new to the burning thing so it will be another question from me now!
    It said in Alcohol 120% that my burner supports RAW DAO. Does it matter when I use a re-writable CD on 10x speed? I am running out of CD's with this exercise(but it has been a learning experience, thanks!!)

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

For what I know (cd-rw.org probably knows better, I'm not an expert in running PC protected games since I almost never play with the PC) there should be no problem. I only know that the PSX console is uncapable to read CD-RW...

and, anyway, burning CD-RW is free of charge so why shouldn't you have a try?

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Some protections check for the ATIP code which reveals CD-R/RW media. In such case you need to use media hiding function, which is available in Alcohol and CloneCD.

10. PhoenixTT

PhoenixTT Member

I am a some kind of newbie but..

Can someone tell me how to make an .cue file... I probaly got an bin file simcity4-deviance.cd2.bin or some kind of that and i need an cue file to open the game with demon-tools.... Are there an cue editor or anything else so that i can create an cue file for it???

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  11. PhoenixTT

PhoenixTT Member

???????????????

12. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Simply Notepad. The .CUE is an ASCII text file you can create with either Notepad,. Wordpad and so on.

13. PhoenixTT

PhoenixTT Member

Okay it works... :)

Thx...

14. TheRaider

TheRaider Guest

Have a quistion for Battlefield 1942. I have a bin and cue file and when i try to mount it on a virtual dirve with alcohol 120 it prompts me with the menu but it wont let me install it? I moved every file onto my desktop and still no luck....

Any ideas or is it just protected that much.

15. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If Alcohol does not see the files the problem lies in the .CUE. If files aree seen but not run maybe the problem lies in the protection scheme. Try emulating the protection, also. But it's not guaranteed to work (you need a patch, then).

16. TheRaider

TheRaider Guest

I can use Alochol to Emulate the protection?? Or what other programs would I need. If I did need a patch that would only work after I could do a full installation correct?

17. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, correct. The patch is used after the installation.

But sometimes the CD itself is protected (e.g. by safedisc). If the CD backup hasn't been done properly (proper read and write settings) you can solve this only by emulating the protection scheme by 'mounting' the CD image in Alcohol (modifying some properties of drive emulation settings) and then running the setup from that virtual drive.

Note that a CD check protection (requires you put the original CD, usually disc2, on the CD unit) will always need a no-CD patch, because this protection cannot be bypassed.

18. TheRaider

TheRaider Guest

Thanks Ill try messin around with the emulation and see if I can get it to install.

Thanks for the help

19. TheRaider

TheRaider Guest

Yeah still no Luck, get the same message from autorun saying need the origional disk.

Any more options or just a lost cause

20. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Battlefield 1942 is protected by Safedisc v2.

Check for these files on the image, if they exist the image has the protection still attached to it:
    00000001.TMP
    CLCD16.DLL
    CLCD32.DLL
    CLOKSPL.EXE or 00000002.TMP

Safedisc uses unreadeble sectors to detect the original CD is on the drive. If your burner automatically corrects unreadable sectors you cannot make a perfect backup. If your burner can do that, the disc must be burned RAW DAO choosing the 'amplify weak sectors' (or 'bypass EFM errors') setting.

If your recorder is not capable of doing a perfect copy you can burn the image anyway but you'll need to use DAEMON Tools or Alcohol emulation. Please note that if the image has not been extracted properly, Safedisc2 emulation is not possible.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Daemon Tools website:
    '...if your writer is capable of burning Safedisc2 then your backup will be perfect, i.e. no emulation will be needed. But even if you have bad writer your copy will always work with Safedisc emulation on any drive. This is main advantage of Fastdump. Simple copying to image and burning via CloneCD or other program does NOT guarantee that Safedisc emulation will work - always use fastdump method to create image if you plan to use your backup with Safedisc emulation.'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, some hints (ascending number of failures):
    - check the image was extracted properly (Daemons Tools fastdump feature)
    - check you properly mounted the image (copy .BIN/.CUE to HD, mount it with safedisc v2 settings, run setup - not autorun - from the virtual drive)
    - try burning a new CD with proper settings (RAW DAO, amplify weak sectors);
    - buy the original game

Last edited: Feb 14, 2003