1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another capture question

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Hunter69, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Hunter69

Hunter69 Member

Hi all, I have a Canon ZR65. I want to capture the video from the camera to my pc. I want a high quality capture. So from what I have read, I want to see if I am correct:

1. I can capture via a firewire out connection to my computer (this is considered lossless).

2. The important part of the capture is the software used??? I read a lot about TMPgenc. Any suggestions.

Now here is a ? If I purchased a good external encoder would the quality be better??? I was looking at the canopus 100/110.

My camcorder has audio video inputs, the camera supports analog to DV conversion. So can I feed a analog source into the Canon ZR65 and use the Firewire connection to transmit the video to the PC(vhs to DVD)??? Then use TMPgenc to encode the input to DVD.

I am looking to convert home videos to DVD, but I would like to also leave my self the option to capture the video from a VCR. I want what everyone else want a good high quality capture.

Thanks for your time.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

1.) Good.
    2.) Yes, don't use tmpgenc. Capture in Pinnacle Studio, Intervideo WinDVR, Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premiere directly into mpeg-2 format.

Use your cam as a passthrough from VCR to computer. It's the same as having a Canopus ADVC-100/110.

3. Hunter69

Hunter69 Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well Sony vegas looks like that $500, a little to pricey if I am looking at the correct product.

Adobe premier looks like it only come in "pro" format which is $600 or more. Unless I am looking at the incorrect product.

Now intervideo WinDVD Creator 2 Platinum looks to be more realistic. Is this the product you were talking about??? Any good or bad experiences capturing and creating home videos with this software??

Were you talking about Pinnacle studio version 9??? This is in my price range. Any quality comments.

Any other suggestions as to good easy to use capturing/dvd authoring software (software with a high quality capturing codec)

Thanks for your knowledge and time

4. josp03

josp03 Member

You can get Adobe Premiere Elements...basically the same as the pro feature with a few less features... I have it and it works wonders...has DVD encoding with it...i picked it up for 99 bucks

5. josp03

josp03 Member

also...if your a student or teacher or something of the sort you can get adobe premiere for like 200 I think...educational discounts!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005