1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i didnt want to say it that way...lmao am looking now

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Say what ye mean and mean what ye say eh?

ag ag ag ag ag I'm popeye the sailor man.....

3. LOCOENG

Sorry, but I feel I've been a bit rude. I haven't thanked anyone who has helped me with this build. All the advice and input was appreciated and I couldn't have done it without all of your help.

I've found a nice core temp monitoring program...

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

See what you think.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Strange what we find on our own. ;)

PCWizard
    HWMonitor
    Everest
    SpeedFan
    and a couple of others work ok too. ;) Core Temp is a good simple little progie. :)

...gm

5. LOCOENG

I've got Speedfan and Everest and I don't know exactly how or where they get the reading/data from to give the temps, but this one is supposed to be "more" accurate....what ever that means :)

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm just trying out Core Temp on one of my Dell C2D's, seems to be working, just trying DVD Rebuilder for a bit to see what happens

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

You're right, I've tried a few others and it seems that Core Temp has it about as close as possible on the cores. ;) WEll of course compared to all the rest is the only way I can do it with any accuracy. I don't know how to TRULY test the core temp but hey it seems as good as any. :D

....gm

You get all your little problems worked out LOCO. ;) I know there are a few when first getting one going. You know with progies and such. :) Have you decided on a new ODD yet?? I'm liking the Pioneer 215D but I need to here more feedback. :) I like the true Sony/NEC/Optiarc too, but have you seen any of those lately? I may try to go onto eBay and find a 7170S cause me likes those. lol. ;)

8. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

LOCO - Ive found that the temps registered by Everest always basically match those in coretemp and because Everest gives more info Ive just stuck with that.

GM - After further use of the 215-DBK - I am getting more happy with it as a drive as the days go by. Have now perfectly burnt a DL Aone disc at 8x speed with no issues - in fact the verification took longer than the actual burn (this was burning an ISO).

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

The core temp proggie is a good one. Soph mention'd it to me a bit ago. when i first started to OC my E8400. he didsay that it is realy made for to use when your under load, not at idle. from what ive seen with it though it does a good job at idle also...

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My Quad machine has very good temperature monitoring software supplied with it but Core Temp seems quite nifty so i'll use that from now on as well.

My Dell 745 machine (Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz L2 Stepping) idles around 36C, and using DVD-RB across both cores it averages 61C (61C seems to be the max safe temperature for this CPU also).

My Quad Core Q6600 G0 Stepping (remember i run all my fans on this baby on minimum - that might have to change in the summer) idles around 30C (bonus) and using DVD-RB it hits all of 41C. If i do my favourite party trick of adding ConvertXtoDVD and DVD Flick to DVD-RB it hits 45C max. Nice, especially as the safe max temperature for the G0 is 71C (i think the B3 stepping of the Q6600 has a max of 62C - how pants is that!, no wonder no-one recommends buying those).

..come on Loco old fruit, let's see some multitasking

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Everest can't monitor the temperature of my graphics card, at all, which is a shame because it worked with my X1900...

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    There's a lot of difference between the trial version and the full retail version of Everest. More function and more readings. As far as a good monitoring system, I've not found better than the retail Everest.

I forgot, which RAM did you end up using? I think it was mentioned earlier that the quality of RAM and its latency is a big factor in overclocking. I'm no expert, but that's what I've been told.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the full retail version, which is what I don't understand...

14. LOCOENG

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, what cooler is that?

16. LOCOENG

Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, looks suspiciously like a Freezer 7 knock-off to me! :D

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

As good as the ACF7 is I'd be making copies too. :p BUT since I don't have the capabilities I'll just check out the ones that claim to be. hehehe. :p Nice little cpu cooler there LOCO!!! Where'd you get it?? lol. ;P If you lap it you will get lower temps I guarantee it... how much I don't know... Russ knows more bout that than I do. :) I've got one of the Cooler Master TX2's but I want to lap it to see how much difference it will make. :) OH well another thread for that. ;P

L@@KS to me you have about all of your stuff in order in the case. :) Are all the parts getting along now?? Sometimes that is the difficult part.

BOUT time you start OC'in that SOGun!! lol.

...gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes indeed looks good. i got 1 question though..all that power/storage and only 1 disc drive???lol just razzen ya loco...

from what ive heard, read the Q6600 dont need alot of OC'ing so go straight to the mem and work on it.

i also just put some round IDE cables in my rig looks a little better in there. i still need to get all sata in this bad boy.
    well guess i cant call it a bad boy in the quad room so to say..lmao

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob don't listen to 'em!! Your puter runs faster even tho it's ONLY 2 cores. hehehe. :p With it running at about 3.5GHz it will finish RB in about the same time as the Q6600 but I don't think it can run all three progies and do the same times. lol.

LOCO I found this searching a little. I'm sure there are other deals but I haven't found them yet.... ;)

link to NEC/Sony/Optiarc 7170A
    It's IDE unfortunately but at least it's a REAL Optiarc/NEC!!! L&D have some great f/w for that baby.....

....gm