1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Somebody just dropped it on my doorstep and ran away....

Resinstalled XP today and got rid of the bastard partition and all seems well. I want to wait a bit to O.C. as I'm happy with it the way it is really. This is a big improvement over the machine it replaced so I'm still in awe.

I'll fill it up in good time....I still need to get a monitor, maybe this summer for my birthday. I'll be getting some nice 5.1 speakers too.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good to hear the parts are getting along now. lol.

You won't have many problems filling that booger up. lol. Just buy the parts and there you have it. ;)

I don't know if you've done any research for speakers but look at the 5300 or 5500 series from Logitech. Good stuff and sammyboy even approves!!! :D

....gm

3. LOCOENG

I'm not going all out for speakers, I'm looking at the x540 or something like that....5.1 for around $50.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good choice, i'm still more than happy with the X-530's. My Quad has onboard 5.1 audio which seems to work real well. No overclocking here, am going run stock; the last time i overclocked anything was an old P3 600E which i overclocked to 800, ran it for years (as my main machine, i was poorer back then so that machine had to last a lot of years)

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

6. LOCOENG

Yeppers....

just a tip for all you wee lads, if you reinstall winblows and you are wondering why everything looks like crap remember to install your GPU drivers. Just a friendly reminder. :)

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm guessing that the wee lad that wrote that forgot his gpu drivers..... hehehe. :p It helps don't it??

That's a pretty good deal on those speakers. FREE shipping always sweetens the pot I say.....

....gm

8. LOCOENG

You got that right boo boo...just a word from the wise and experienced now. :)

I do like free shipping. I'm eyeballing that 24' Viewsonic ZoSoIV is selling too. It won't fit under the shelf on my desk, but I may be able to make it work.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, what can I say, I own the Z-5500s, so I can't comment on sensible speakers. What I will say though is stick with Logitech. The Creative ones (Inspire T3000) weren't very well made, and the Trust Soundforge ones are even worse. This applies for 2.1s, but I see no reason why 5.1s would be any different. I've no major complaint with any Logitech speaker set. Every one they make has a design flaw (burning smell on the Z-2300s is irritating but normal, and the 5500s have no EMI shielding so pop if anyone within three houses uses a light switch!) but the overall build quality is usually sound.
    I've owned a 24" LCD, and a Viewsonic but not the combination. If it's cheap go for it, but personally the 24" Samsungs and Dells are the cream of the crop.

10. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Im looking at get the x-540s - cannot justify nearly two hundred on speakers and the 540s are a great upgrade for me. One question I have though is can they accept a 5.1 and a 2.0 input at the same time do you know/think?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure. I don't recommend the z-5500s to anyone serious, because i'm well aware they're unnecessary for almost everyone. As for the 5.1/2.0 at the same time, you could always use a stereo splitter for the front speakers...

12. LOCOENG

I don't need anything to rock the house, I have the Klipsch on my stereo to take care of that. It's just after 7 years with the same set of JBL's that came with my first PC I'm ready for something shiney and new.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X-500 series seem pretty solid and are ample for most people.

14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

The decision whether to get the X-540's or not was made easier today after I won £35 in our weekly football scores competition at work. First time Ive been top any week this season (still 4th overall though :))

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice one! lol

16. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Order - £51.99 inc VAT. Could have had free 5 day delivery but opted to pay £9 for 2 day delivery as I am "working" from home on Thursday :D

17. LOCOENG

My special new boot screen....

[​IMG]

I'm tired of fighting for tonight, I'll check again in the morning as I'm giving up.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oh that's nice!!! I don't want one or do I care to know how you got it..... hehehe. :p

Looks like you got driver issues.... ;)

....gm

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

LOCOENG-ur the man! on any other site a mod would never really admit to having tech issues/ open a thread for help/opinions...i may self cant contribute here as sammorris seems to be dominating here and all my words have been taken LOL

[​IMG]
    it reads GRRRRR.....is it me or has karma caught up with you LOL

-tripplite

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Tripplite: Lol just because I post a lot doesn't mean you can't contribute.

LOCO: Um... howdoodoodat? :S It's been a while since I've seen one of those...