1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Hang on to 'em for a month and if nothing is said about them I'll take 'em off your hands.

2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Im gonna hold onto them - as in my opinion it is up to the person who made the mistake to try and rectify it - im not going to go out of my way to tell them, but if they ask I wont lie.

LOCO - Im in UK - would be cheaper for you to buy them locally lol.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of interest, which store made the error? I must shop with them more often! lol

4. LOCOENG

Thanks Pepp, I think I will.

creaky, I spent an two hours on ad_buddies with Jan and Xian last night and they still couldn't get my IP problems resolved. Are there any network wiz's here that I could talk to so I can get my modem installed and working?

Here is where I'm at:

AT&T sent me new modem claiming old one didn't work.
    ipconfig gives me bogus ip of 192.168.29.228
    it should be 192.168.1.254 (the address of the modem)
    I can set ip manually, but it doesn't take unless I use a standard IP address like 192.168.1.1 etc.
    I have to install AT&T's software in order to register/login to the modem in order to use it on my system but the software won't detect the modem because of the IP address.
    I've reinstalled my network drivers.
    Installed the software successfully on laptop and it works via router or direct connected so it's not the modem.

If more information is needed I can provide it.

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

It was ebuyer - I ordered them and then cancelled the order as I used the wrong card - then I ordered it again and cancelled that order as I wanted to add to it but they wouldnt let me, then I order it again.

I got the full third order and the speakers only from the second order (which is shown as cancelled on my orders page).

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ouch, not sure what else needs doing then; or maybe it's something stupidly obvious after all..

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

LOCO

Is this thing from AT&T just a modem then and not a router/modem. The reason I ask is because you mention router and modem in your post.

Can you describe exactly how you have it connected, ie master socket-->modem-->router-->computer.

The reason I ask is I have Cable myself which comes into a modem (no setup required locally) which I then connect to a router to distribute it around the house. I only ever communicate with my router when dealing with IPs.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, it's funny, I only had an order from ebuyer delivered today - a PCI (not PCIe) Graphics card and a gig of DDR1 to upgrade my grandad's PC somewhat. 32MB SiS integrated graphics and 256MB aren't quite cutting it... :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  9. LOCOENG

That right....wall>modem>router>PC

The modem is a standalone and it does work with lappy either via router or wired. However, the modem worked for a week in new build before it went tits up and at the time I didn't know I had to have their software installed to actually use their product because it worked. I think after so much use it shut itself down because the software wasn't detected and now it has me locked out. When I reinstalled the network adapter drivers last night the IP did show 0.0.0.0 along with subnet mask, but as soon as I tried installing software it went to the (sing along with U2) "I haven't found what I'm looking for" again.

EDIT: The router I bought myself, it's a Netgear WGR614 v6 and the modem is a Motorola 2210N, no data found other than bellsouth business pages on the modem.

EDIT2: I can't access the router either...on desktop or lappy.

EDIT@: Unistalled Comodo and disabled windows firewall. Cannot ping anything including myself from desktop. 127.0.0.1 does ping.

EDIT4: I found my modem along with what I hope is good information. This is what AT&T tech support tried and it didn't work.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

LOCO,

I had a speedstream modem with a linksys router for my laptop. the router was always causung problems. I finally bought a 2wire 2701HG-B modem/router combo on ebay for $50 and is has worked without a hitch. you might do some shopping.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ouch, i'm sure the last Netgear i bought was the same model, i find them lacking personally, much prefer Linksys & Buffalo's. However i didn't have to do any special setup on my Netgear, AT&T are having you on (if they're saying you need software to install for the Netgear i mean)..
    As i say, i have 2 Buffalo's linked up via 'WDS' and i even got all nerdy and put DD-WRT on them; WDS is serving both upstairs and downstairs (huge Victorian house so it's hard to get a decent range usually but by using WDS i get a much better 'reach'). But even i'm scaling down the amount of PC's i use, just threw out another 3 today.

edited due to usual crap spelling

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Sorry I havent replied till now got called out to an SDSL fault lol.

You say you now cant communicate with the router either. If you factory reset the router and connect just that to your PC/laptop does it give you an IP address by DHCP.

As for the modem - have you done what that page says and set it to bridging mode.

Also is it not possible to ignore the modem and just configure the netgear to be your modem and router - which is how standard DSL works in the UK.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not necessarily. A lot of routers come with modems, but not all, you can do it either way round. Personally I've found that all modem-router combinations make for crap routers, and it has to be done using the two-part approach. The D-Link DSL-G604T, mediocre, the Netgear DG814 - appalling, unusable, The Linksys WRT54GL&ADSL2MUE, an "ideal match" - not compatible, the Speedtouch HomeHub/Bebox dire, the Speedtouch Bebox combined with the WRT54GL, much better.

14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

My company (telecomms company reselling ADSL amongst its many prongs) ships out Zyxel 600 series modem routers to all our customers who have internet with us and they are fantastic for doing both jobs. We have many companies running their networks simply off a switch connected to these routers.

Id highly recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable all in one package.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Glad i ain't the only one creating grammar and sppellin mistakes!!! hehehe. ;P

LOCO your troubles are teaching others as you go. :)

...gm

16. LOCOENG

When in doubt reinstall XP....what a PITA.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Are you kidding me LOCO? I've had to do that a few times... I don't understand the reason either. lol. varnull you stay away.... hehehe..

So has this finally fixed the issues you were dealing with??

....gm

18. LOCOENG

Yep, it all appears to be working now. I've had two major obstacles and the fixes were stupid to say the least.

Mouseware drivers fixed BSOD
    Reinstall XP fixed connectivity issues.

TBH I think that AT&T blocked my PC after I failed to install it's software. I their program is just another form of malware and there doesn't appear to be a way around it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20176842-how-to-setup-new-dsl-access-ACCOUNT-wo-installing-software

I'm not the only one with problems regarding this service, however the thread above isn't about my problem exactly...just shows how AT&T tries to make you put their malware on your PC for their service to work. At the end of installing it last night there was a satisfaction survey and I think it's the first time I've ever submitted negatives and I actually ran out of room to finish my comments.

19. varnull

varnull Guest

Have you tried running a different OS on that machine? My ISP says they only support XP and vista, and provide a disk with a keylogger and some odd traffic tracking software embedded in it. I have never used it myself.. no need as I just connect.
    Your router should be taking care of your ppoe settings, so installing anything on your desktop pc should make no difference whatsoever.

If they are forcing you to install their software.. which implies that they are forcing you to use a certain OS then they are probably breaking a few FCC anti-trust regulations along the line.

We have taken that line with a certain public service broadcaster over here and it is starting to pay dividends. Anyway.. hit me up on irc soon and we will have a further investigate and a little isp hidden service discovery session ;)

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've been dealing with Bellsouth and AT&T and have had few problems. Installing their software so far has been optional. It saves the service reps a lot of time when it works, so that's the reason they suggest it. I can go in and log into the DSL account using the IP address for AT&T and log in and then the XP wizard makes the connection. After that it's always on. That's why good internet security software is needed or a router for a hardware firewall.

LOCO
    I ran into a problem similar to yours not long ago. I had to reinstall Vista for a router setup for one friend. Someone had already tried setting up the wireless router and had things in sad shape. It was easier to reinstall Windows than try to troubleshoot the problem. It was a new laptop, so I didn't have to worry about backing anything up. I got with an AT&T service rep on the phone and they told me the specific settings to change for the model router being used. The setup for XP and Vista appear almost identical. Actually all my friend needed was a wireless modem, which AT&T can supply. That's what I set up for another friend. They both have laptops and like to use them in the family room, usually chatting or watching TV.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008