1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

My problem now appears to be the DHCP losing it's lease, that is the problem with the dropouts....

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 4/1/2008
    Time: 8:17:59 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WALKTHEPLANK
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001D7D00FFE1. The IP address being used is 169.254.134.194.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 4/1/2008
    Time: 8:16:58 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WALKTHEPLANK
    Description:
    Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.1.1 on the Network Card with network address 001D7D00FFE1.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

[​IMG]

All the googling comes to problems with a router...I am not using a router yet. Most of the information I find is from 2003-2004 and isn't very clear. I'm wondering if my Realtek NIC card is bad?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never heard of losing the DHCP lease other than when it usually expires. Perhaps try a PCI Network card and see if that cures it? I have had faulty network adapters before, but they didn't generate those errors, they just appeared and disappeared in device manager as and when they pleased.

3. LOCOENG

I just swapped out the DSL data cable with a shorter one and it's been up for almost an hour now. I couldn't believe they sent me a cable that was 20' long, I thought there were only supposed to be so long?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 20ft DSL cable? I've never owned a DSL cable longer than 6ft.

5. LOCOENG

I spoke too soon, it crapped out right after I made the last post. I'm about at the end of my rope.

Going to go play a round of golf and forget about the PC for a few hours.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's what I need to do but it's frikkin cold here and the wind's blowing 20-30 mph!!! That combo isn't golf weather in MHO!! ;)

@sammy,
    Just because you haven't or don't use anything longer than 6' doesn't mean they don't make them or use them. :p My step-mom uses a 100' cable regularly on her job. :)

LOCO,
    If you can try another NIC card that will at least remove the old one from the equation. You may have bogus drivers as well. I've found out with such items the drivers are very important and cause 6 kinds of hell when they don't work correctly. Like I said in an earlier post I've had to re-install Winblows a few time because I couldn't find a driver issue. :p

good luck as usual buddy!!!

...gm

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    I'd give the service techs at AT@T a call. The ones I've worked with are knowledgable about their setup and how it works with different hardware. (Maybe I've been lucky.) If they can't help, nothing lost except the time for the call.

8. LOCOENG

The three or four I've talked to at AT&T can't get past any problems found in ipconfig and their only solution was to send me a new modem. I think the NIC is bad. I searched for drivers today and couldn't find any for the adapter listed on the board. If the NIC is bad wouldn't that mean RMA to Gigabyte?

It was the first hot day here, around 80 with 200% humidity....after a quick afternoon shower it got hot as hell. Turns out I can't build PC's or play golf, maybe I should stick to railroading?

I've actually got bigger problems now anyway as my PC is in some sort of boot cycle where it posts and then shuts down and repeats....I let it go 10X's and I've just shut it down all together. I guess I'll just start pulling stuff out and see if I can track down the problem. I can't even boot from my ROM. I've loaded safe settings in BIOS and no dice.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RMAing a motherboard is a pain in the ass. For a similar cost to that of shipping your motherboard back to Gigabyte you can almost certainly get a PCI network card to test your hypothesis with. It's what I'd do before going to all that trouble.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOCO if the mobo is less than 30 days from the EGG you can just do a RMA with very little effort at all. It'll be disappointing if your mobo is "bad" too. rob just sent his off last week for different reasons tho. Just to make sure your ethernet connection from your mobo is what you're talking about?

If it's an actual NIC card you should be able to take it back to the store you bought it from and get another assuming it's under warranty still. ;) I think sammy brought up a good point too. For simplicities sake you can buy a cheapy NIC card and see if that's actually your issue before you send it off BUT that won't guarantee that's your issue because again it could be drivers. :D Sucks when something doesn't work correctly. I bet that's what the RR says about you. hehehehe. :p j/k Mr. MOD!!! ;)

...gm

11. LOCOENG

Nah, they just say "I love it when a plan comes together"

The only ethernet I have is the onboard from the gigabyte board. I can run to the store and pick up another one for shits and giggles, but it won't do me any good if I can't even boot up. I've reset CMOS, and pulled all drives but my master boot drive as well as changing ram etc.

I downloaded Realteck's troubleshooting GUI this afternoon when everything is working, but it's pretty useless and reports about the same information that you get in ipconfig....it doesn't troubleshoot anything in other words, only monitors.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Geez LOCO it seems you do have "other issues". ;) Have you ran any other tests to check your components? Stress tests for your RAM, cpu, mobo, and HDD if needed. ;)

Orthos, OCCT, Prime95, Memtest, SiSoft Sandra, and many more but those are the most used I believe. Of course if you can't get up and running then you're SCREWED. lol. You've already installed Winblows again? You tried Debian Linux yet?? hehehe. Thought that I would have a JanRocks moment!!!! :p

You need to find something stable so you can run these tests if you haven't already. You bought the cpu used?? I doubt it's the problem but it does happen. With your Ethernet going out if it is it makes me think you may have mobo issues. If that's the case it bothers me actually. Did you get the P35-DS3R model?? If so cincyrob had to send his back last week. Think I already mentioned that but there it is again.....

again good luck buddy.......

....gm

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    Have you tried resetting the mobo to default settings and then trying to boot up? I'm not sure about your board, but usually all you have to do is disconnect the power, remove the battery and cross a jumper, then replace the battery, hook up the power and go. Instructions should be in the manual. To be on the safe side, disconnect the peripherals and let the PC pick them up with Plug & Play (one at a time). Unless you have a really messed up board, the ethernet/LAN circuit shouldn't prevent boot, but just in case, don't have it hooked to the modem when trying to boot after resetting the board. Greensman is right, if you've not had the board too long, RMA to the Egg would be the best bet.

You've found out one of the truths in building PCs. Putting the thing together isn't all that hard, getting it to work is sometimes the trick. I regret your having the bad luck. Over 90% of the time the parts go together and there's not a single problem. I've had more good luck than bad, but I know what it feels like having a new build head south.

14. LOCOENG

I have reset CMOS and set BIOS to "load fail-safe options" neither of which helped. When the PC was running I did run OCCT the other day and it came back with error code 2 which is user powered off PC. I think I forgot to disable the power saving in windows and it went to sleep or something.

I'm going to take everything out of the case and start from scratch just in case I have something shorting out in there somewhere.

15. LOCOENG

The CPU wasn't used for anything other than testing to see that it wouldn't DOA according to the auction, otherwise it should have been new.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Knowing how thorough you are at things I can't imagine you've made any catastrophic mistakes.... like forgetting the little brass risers for the mobo or stuff like that.

Other than that it's TAB A to TAB B and such. The only thing other than a faulty component would be a faulty wire or connection. Well at least that's what I think like it matters. ;P

.....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey buddy i hate to be the barer of bad news. but that is the same thing mine was doing.except it wouldnt even post. got the power lights and fans to come on then it shut down and did it again and again.........
    if i think right you also have the same board as me. GA-P35-DS3R version 2.1
    allmost makes me think it has something to do with the revision. they might need to do another one or a bios update of some sort.

as for my MOBO it is still in illinois. i dont knwo what the hell UPS is doing. and they cant give me any reason as to why its still there...

EDIT:
    funny i just called them about 20 mins ago and they couldnt tell me anything. i just got a email from my auto notify from UPS, telling me it is out for delivery now. so they will get it today and not tommorrow

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  18. LOCOENG

19. LOCOENG

I just called a local shop, they will run a diagnostics on the PC for $25 to pinpoint the problem. I'm willing to pay that just see what the problem is.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

same board as mine loco except it has the extra energy saveing to it.
    like greensman said if its after 30days egg will tell you to contact gigabyte.. they are real good i think with there support. i know Russ loves em..lol
    when i called the tech asked some questions,then suggested some things and then issued me my RMA