1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehm guess what? Aria refuse to admit that my faulty 3870 is in fact faulty and want me to pay for them to send it back to me...
    We're all having a bit of a tough time at the moment it seems.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not a bad thing to try LOCO.. please let me/us know what the out come is if/when you do it.
    heck i might even take my PSU up to this new shop that just opend up by me and let him test it and see what he finds??? speaking of that.. i got some mail from the state of ohio taxation. i made a mistake in my counting on my state taxes.. im getting a refund instead of paying $18..lol so that will got towards a new PSU for sure..lol

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Good on you Rob, but I've never had to pay. I guess I have a good CPA...lol

I'm going to run the PC down to the shop later this afternoon and see what they say. I'll let everyone know the score when I find out myself.

4. LOCOENG

Yeah, seems we are all getting the ass end from the manufacturers these days.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

its not the manufacturer, they'd take months, it's the shop.

6. LOCOENG

the ass end of something then? :p

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

situation is that since the card is old (2 1/2 months) and they insist the card works fine. Given that the card is now £30 cheaper than when I bought it and they consider it second-hand, I'm going to get very little store credit on returning it even if they accept it at all. Looks like it's going to have to go on ebay as untested and I'll have to spend a fortune on buying a new one... Oh well, the price you pay for ordering components over the internet I suppose. I've lost about £500 so far from components that went wrong that couldn't be returned, no small sum when you don't have a job.

8. LOCOENG

That's no small sum when you do have a job Sam.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well precisely. Such is life. To be fair, a third of it is this, and a third of it is the failed Asus motherboards, the other third is hard disks.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sam
    Is that the same bad board from the other threads? As for Theone, I hear they're thinking about taking his anvil and rubber mallet. That's just hearsay of course. LOL He's squashed a bunch of boards the last year or so. I hear more than his fair share.

I've yet to have an ASUS board go bad or be DOA. I've used the higher end ones though and I realize all the manufacturers send out a bad board from time to time. I've just had good luck with ASUS and prefer them.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's perfectly sound logic, and until I started with them I thought highly of Asus based on recommendations. The A8N-SLI SE and P5N-E SLI however both failed within a year rather dramatically, and the P5N-E was a p.i.t.a. to start with.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

same here. I just ordered an asus rampage formula. set me back 308 bucks with shipping. could've shopped around a little more but it's hard to stray away from newegg in case there's a problem ya know.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sam
    I didn't say ASUS was indestructible. Also, for those who like to play with the power settings, or need better power management for whatever reason, there's the 32(s). I'm still using an A8N32-SLI Deluxe on an older PC with a 10% OC that's been running that way for a couple of years. It OCs higher, but I set it at 10% for stability and longevity. When a builder needs a heavier built board, ASUS has them. Usually they cost more though.

Sounds like you have a good formula Mort. Good luck with the new build or upgrade.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hehe, nice play on words :)

15. LOCOENG

Shop called today and said the mobo was the culprit. I'll pick it up tomorrow and send it back and see what the full diagnostics say.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well that's good buddy. ;) Do you have that RMA handy?? :p

Hope you get it worked out!!

....gm

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

LOCO,

OUCH, that's two mobo problems in a couple of weeks. sure hope I have better luck. hopefully it won't take too long to RMA yours and Robs.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea gigabyte finally got my mobo today. so im sure they will find the same thing wrong with it as LOCO's/i hope if they replace it they test the one they send me back.....

19. LOCOENG

Mine is going back to NewEgg so it shouldn't take more than about a week to turn it around. I'm sure you'll do better with yours Mort as it's a higher end board and not a barain bin special like mine and Robs. Not that a high end board won't have it's problems. :)

@Rob

I think the onboard LAN was screwed on mine as well and that is why I was having connectivity issues. I've been hooked up to my old PC for a few days with no disconnections so far.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pacman: A friend I know has an A8N-SLI Premium which is still going fine. As I say, Asus' top end boards are fine and very good boards for overclocking, but the ones that don't cost the earth just aren't built properly.
    Loco: Sigh, been there done that, only when I had that problem it was a little more obvious it was the motherboard at fault. It didn't even recognise PCI network cards if you plugged them in, and then the voltage provided at the USB ports dropped from 5V to somewhere around 2V so the light on my mouse was very dim and it didn't work, then it stopped POSTing altogether!