1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used to have that problem, unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me how I solved it... :(

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sometimes it's as simple as cleaning up the registry. I always do the "house cleaning" before I start looking for problems.

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I didn't defrag after the install either...need to do that real quick like and will probably run a little registry cleaner too. Honestly I think I can see yet another XP install in my future.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With a system as fast as yours it should be easier to do a clean OS install than waste a lot of time troubleshooting. Even if not the cure, it's an easy way to eliminate the possibility. As you know, older systems that have to have files saved are the slowdown.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't normally do this but PacMan brings up a very valid point and you should start FRESH I think. (agree with previous poster, especially PacMan....hehehe... j/k) It's not like you have a few months or years of info and progies on there you big bald beautiful man, get to installing that OS again.... hehehe. :p

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, seems logical. A fresh install is usually what I resort to when things just don't seem to go right.
    What's with aD's funky new headers and buttons? I like them, but they seem somewhat at odds with the top of the page for the main website.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You know you can choose to run an test for an indefinite amount of time just like orthos don't you Rob.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those are pretty sickening temps - this is at stock voltage too, worrying.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I hope that's not 68c I'm seeing there Rob.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

68 is the sort of temp I'd expect from an E2140 or E2160 overclocked to 3Ghz using the stock cooler - not a CPU that was meant to run at that speed, and especially not a 45nm chip either.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup 68c. see what i mean. i think its the AS5.when i put it on the cpu should i have put some on the cooler also?

right now at idle temps im at 50c.

gonna mess with my fans some and see what i get

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No - but you should have cleaned what was on the cooler from the last use off. Start fresh with a shiny clean CPU and heatsink. Then apply a small blob to the CPU, plonk the cooler down and let heat do the rest.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob are you sure you have a good "seat" with the cooler and the cpu?? Sorry for asking but sometimes you (anyone) don't get as good of "contact" as you should. ;)

...gm

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ mort.
    well according to AS5 link you gave me. i did not apply it that way they said. i just put a little dab in the middle of the CPU and smear'd it all over. they showed to put a long line down the center of the cpu and then set the HSF on it and twist a little clockwise and then counter clock wise.... i did not do that or use that mch of AS5.. so that could be my problem there

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

yeah, that's just too hot. I'm running RB/CCE SP 3 passes right now OC'ed to 4.0ghz, 80% cpu usage and my cpu temp is only 41c and the cores are only at 49c.

follow those instructions to the tee, making sure you locate the mark in the corner of the cpu to identify which way to make the line of AS5. clean both surfaces well 1st using good quality isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

think i will open it up and redo it the way it shows in the diagrahm. but do i just leave it in a long strip or do i smear it all over the CPU

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

leave it in a strip.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've been applying AS differently from the instructions. I put a small amount on the processor and smooth it out with a plastic card (similar to a credit card). I make sure there's a thin film covering the metal. Then I install the CPU, and making sure the surface of the FSB is clean and shiny, I lock that down giving it a twist as far as the slack in the mount will allow. Then I check to see if I added too much. I remove any excess from around the CPU edge with a swab. I've got the feel of it, so don't normally put too much on.

I've got and old AMD dual core. Normal operating temp doing a lot of downloading and surfing is about 36C. I've not run a load test recently. I run about 42C when using Rebuilder and multitasking, and that's with an OC a bit over 10%. A C2D should do as well. Of course I've got a big Zalman in the case and some hefty cooling fans in a well vented case.

BTW, too much AS isn't a good thing either. You can have too much of a good thing. You want to end up with a good thin film so the heat easily transfers from the CPU to the FSB.