1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok getting ready to shut it down and take it apart again..lol gonna put a strip down the middle like in the dograhm and twist its a bit then lock it down... be back in a few

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its all back together again. cleaned both cpu and cooler. placed the long strip down the middle as per the diagrahm. twisted the cooler a bit in each direction, then locked it down. fired it up checked temps and this is what i got. i like this OCCT program it is still running now....is this program as reliable as say orthos????

Everest

All 3

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

those core temps aren't too bad since you're loaded but still pretty warm for stock. you're not going to be able to OC much until you get your cpu cooled down. what speed is the cpu fan at? what does core temp show? you might want to consider an artic freezer 7 pro. at least that way you wouldn't have to pull the mobo like with a 9700 zalman or TR ultra 120.

I don't know why but I can't read y'alls pics of everest. I can read the ones of everest I post just fine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You can go into the settings and choose the application you want to use with it Rob...it will use Everest, CPU-Z etc., just choose which you want to use.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those temps must be idle, and they're alright, but could be better. Perhaps a Freezer 7 Pro is in order?

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@loco
    do you mean OCCT???? im not following ya.

@mort

everest shows me at idle of 49c
    when i ever get my rebate back from coolermaster i might get me a AF 7 Pro.

there is a difference in the temps right now. in OCCT i have 22 mins left on the 1 hr test and my temp is still 61c so thats a good 8c cooler since i redid the paste.

i should have my new PSU tuesday..i will try the paste intel sent me and see what it does, seeing i will have it all open again
    i think alot of it is from where my tower is located.. under my desk next to my old HP system not alot of air flow down there. my 2 sidepanel intake fans are a few inches from the side of the desk..

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Sam
    the everest temp is at idle the "all 3" are under load with OCCT.
    i got 17 mins left on it and still only up to 61c

edit
    once this test is done im going to pull my tower out from under the desk and let it set for a few then run another test on it and see if it makes a difference

edit x2
    should i change my 2 140mm fans to both being controled by the mobo and have my 2 side panel 120mm running at full tilt by plugging them into the psu directly

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

is that cpu temp or core temp?

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats the core temp
    the cpu temp was 26c

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

better, but you should still try again with the tower out in the open - I wouldn't like to see temps above 55C in any environment, just to be on the safe side.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok ive had my tower out from under the desk all night. i just used DVD-rebuilder on a 7.62gb movie. about half way done with the rebuild.

here is a screen shot of rebuilder and my coretemps. the CPU usage under load of dvd-reb is about 77%
    temps are 10c lower than yesterday doing the same process

[​IMG]

gonna go to microcenter tomorrow and see if they have any AF 7 pro's in stock...then tuesday when i get my PSU i can change it all out at the same time. if i can get the cooler from microcenter. if not i will try the paste intel sent me and see how it works.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The 2 best thermal compounds I've found are Arctic Silver and and the thermal compound supplied with the Zalman HSF(s). They help the CPU run cooler by about 5C or a little more. Like everyone's been saying, if you're going to run substantial OC(s), you need a "cooler" that can dissipate the heat.

Here's a good one if you have to place a net order.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020
    I like the design because of the way it helps move air through the case. The flow goes from front to rear in the direction of case fan direction (intake to exhaust). I've heard of people hooking them up backwards. Zalman has an application chart on their website.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PacMan,

I prefer AS5 too. I have tried the zalman thermal compound (comes in a bottle like fingernail polish) but didn't get as good of results as with AS5. I do know that DocTY likes the zalman stuff. I've read/heard good things about the arctic freezer MX2 and thermalright chill factor as well. I've got some chill factor and might give it a try one of these days.

I think Rob is looking for a good cpu hsf that he can install without having to pull his mobo. that is why we suggested the arctic freezer 7 pro. otherwise I would have also suggested a zalman 9700 or preferably a TR ultra 120 extreme or TR ultra 120.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've tried the Zalman stuff to Morty. ;) I've had pretty good luck with it but from what I've read the AC MX-2 or Chill Factor may be better stuff. I'll have to get some and see. lol. It's only $$$$$ right?? :p

Hope all is going well with the new builds out there. :D

LOCO you doin alright??

...gm

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Greensman
    You're right, it would be a lot of work to refit with a Zalman. Also, the bigger they get the heavier they are. The solid copper 9700 weighs about 2 pounds. Anyone using one has to be careful about bumping the PC into things when moving it and a drop could be a disaster. I've got a roomy case and the "thing" hasn't moved over a couple of feet since I built it. The Zalmans are quiet and do a heck of a job cooling though. Seems with everything a person has to weigh the pros and cons.

Going on with a brush, the Zalman thermal compound is the easiest I've ever used. It being among the best at heat transfer, along with the ease of application, makes it a real winner in my book. You'd have to work at messing up with it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thing is though Pacman, coolers like the TRUE can work out cheaper than the CNPS9700 and better. The Freezer 7 Pro isn't far off the 9700 at all in cooling performance, but costs only half as much. Personally I think Zalman stuffis overpriced. The backplate for the Zalman coolers was a bit of a pain, but then so was the backplane for the TRUE...

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

still battling the lag. I guess I'm not getting a good install with all the drivers and everything on XP. I reinstalled three times over the weekend and the mobo drivers disc always kicks out an error at some point. I've reconciled all the errors in device manager, updated drivers and flashed to new BIOS. When I flashed BIOS it went very well and the PC stopped freezing/lagging, but after I rebooted the problem returned. It got progressively worse last night and now basically locks up for 10-15 seconds on every mouse click in every window or program. I guess I'll try to install XP again tonight.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorris
    $70-$80 isn't going to break the bank. Making a choice for a HSF is a matter of preference. I'm not saying Zalman is the only HSF out there. I've used others. I've had good luck with Zalman, so I'll pay a few dollars more for the comfort factor (as well as proven performance). I noticed XoXide had their Freezer Pro on sale for $25. Good price for a big cooler, but big is the operative word. LOL I know, Zallman isn't small either. I don't need to be reminded. ;)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't have problems with my Zalman, but every review I look at shows the big coolers out there (assuming you can fit them in) to outperform them, and they'll do a much quieter job too. The 9700 sure is loud at full whack. I've nothing against Zalman, there's still one cooling my fileserver, but even so, I wouldn't buy from them again - my Freezer 7 Pro was certainly excellent for the price, and if you're willing to spend the big bucks, may as well give Scythe, Thermalright, nexus, Noctua or Tuniq a knock.

Hold on, Freezer 7 Pro big? It's hardly any bigger than the stock cooler! The 9700 is a monster by comparison...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008