1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

[​IMG]
    Who makes a stock cooler half the size? I've never got anything near as large from Intel or AMD.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm my bad, it obviously seems small by comparison to the ultra 120, but check this out:

Sizes in milimetres:
    Freezer 7 Pro: 107x97x127
    Zalman CNPS9700: 124x90x142
    TRUE with fan: 132x89x161

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

no offense but your zalman 7700 or 7000 (whichever it is) is not in the same ballpark as the 9500 or 9700. I've had both the 9500 and 7000 and the 9500 is far superior to the 7000. cools a lot better and is a lot quieter.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm well aware. I was originally going to by the Freezer 64 Pro for that CPU but it was out of stock at the company that built my PC originally. I knew the Arctics were better from the start. However, articles I read seem to pit the 9500 and Freezer on an even sort of scorer, typically with the Arctic having the slight advantage. Given how much cheaper the Freezer is than the Zalman (certainly over here) and how much better my TRUE is than the Arctic, I don't think Zalman heatsinks are the chart-toppers I once thought they were.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorris

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/zalman-cnps9700-led-big-ups-cpu-cooling-uk,review-1862.html

When the cooler was released in 06 Tomshardware didn't have anything bad to say about it. You don't have to try to sell us on coolers, the good ones are good and the stinkers eventually get weeded out.

I'm curious where you're getting your info. I've used Zalman and they're a quality product. I can't say as much for some of the knockoffs and similar units that have sprung up. I've got a Zalman 9500 Cu "wind tunnel" running in this PC. I'ts currently transcoding while I'm surfing. It's been running like this most of the day.
    AMD Athlon dual core with Zalman HSF
    2.9GHz (it can easily go faster, tuned for longevity)
    2-3-2-6, 1T timing (that's fast)
    VCore 1.42V
    Core temp during extended load (90% CPU usage): 40C
    I'm comfortable with it. LOL That's barely off idle for a lot of systems, especially the older ones.

I built this one while C2Ds were scarce to the point of being nonexistant. It was a relatively cheap build, all the parts were bought from the internet on sale from different suppliers, Egg, Tiger, ZipZoom, and others. Prices were lower for the older style components, 939 board and DDR ram. The CPU was a "tray" and I picked up the Corsair CMX LL Pro off eBay. I enjoyed free shipping on a lot of items; saved a bundle on the case. No way can the system compare to C2Ds, but it isn't time to throw it away yet. ;) So you know, I currently recommend C2D based systems for anyone who asks. (I'm not picking sides in the AMD-Intel battle. Each side has had time at #1.) Back to the subject being discussed. The Zalman did what it was supposed to do and has been at it for a long time, often 24/7.

I'm not trying to sell Zalman, I'm just saying they're good. I'm sure there's other good coolers out there. I don't think there's that many a whole lot better than Zalman. Zalman has always rated well in past comparisons from the larger sites that do in house testing. I realize some models aren't for every application. I'm an unabashed Zalman fan. (Get it? Fan.) All I can say is after a person does the research, buy whatever floats their boat (or makes their choo-choo LOCOmote). ;) First time I've gotten to use the word locomote in years. LOL

LOCO
    How's the lag problem coming along? Hope you've got it fixed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Intel ROCKS!!!

Zalman blows!!!

Thermalright is TRUE!!!

and S.... is the LOCO-moderator!!!

hehehe. :p

....gm

OK j/k....

I'm sure that Zalman makes a good cooler. I know plenty of people that use them, AND not rank amateurs either!! :p I know even more folks that use the TRUE or the Ultra 120 A (or 90 A) with excellent results. Given the track record of both companies I can't see choosing either one a mistake. I think the TRUE cooler is the bomb-dig-ity, but's that's opinion on my part even tho there's plenty of "empirical data" to back it up. lol.

The ACF7 Pro is a GREAT buy for the money. It almost cools as well as any Zalman or TR product but at half or less of the MONEY (cost)... That's hard to beat for the dollar. Again NOT personal experience but many of the people I know have or have used one in the past. Great cooler for the money and if you don't want to "un-install" your mobo it's the way to go!! ;)

Ok my 2ยข is over..... lol.

....gm

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Still very laggy in XP, not so bad in Vista but still there. Seems to have gone south when I installed the drivers for the mobo. Now to track down which one. I think I'm going to try Linux real quick (/me quivers) and see what happens. I was really avoiding Vista like it was the plague, but for the few hours I've used it I kinda like it.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've done some reading on Vista and it seems it's getting "better" but I still likes me XP Pro!! Stuff works with it and there's not as much DRM floating around. lol.

LOCO don't quiver at Linux. It's easy and if I can install it anyone can. Even you. :p I d/l the Debian version and burned an ISO then went from there. Easy as pie as they say. :D You know varnull will assist you if you need it. I'm not sure I would qualify for any sort of OS assistance at any time. lol.

good luck buddy!!!!

....gm

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    Did you erase the hard drive for a fresh install or install over the old OS with XP. I've used Vista on my friends PC and It looks more like an upgrade than a replacement for XP. It's been a slow progression from 95. ;) I fear the DRM or I'd update. I think I'll give it more time to mature and see what happens. Like the green thing, I like me Windows XP Pro.

Hey Green
    Good 2cents.

10. LOCOENG

Fresh install on both Vista and XP.

I've not tried ripping/encoding/burning anything with Vista yet so I can't comment on the DRM side of things yet. Maybe I should fire up DVDFab for $hits and giggles. The security popups are little annoying when you install programs and download stuff etc., but it's really a minor annoyance to me....and I get annoyed pretty easy. :)

11. LOCOENG

Uninstalled Realtek drivers from the mobo driver disc and all seems well right now. Hopefully this did the trick.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOCO I hope that fixes it!! I can't believe it was so easy (hard to find) of a fix. lol. Good luck with that.

I'll be curious to see if you can go back to XP. /me really likes XP but IF was forced I'd get use to linux. :p

....gm

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Congrats LOCO. Sounds like you're off and running. That OS selection is all yours. ;) I've got too much on this old build to go playing around right now. It would take forever to save things and then I'd end up forgeting something important. I've done it before. With a fresh build, you have it easier playing around with the various OS. Have fun. ;)

14. LOCOENG

As of right now I don't plan on going back to XP...I swore I'd never go to Vista, but after a day or two of usage I like it alot. I may still play around with Linux a little if I can ever get a copy installed. Right now I can't even load the LiveCD, it just crashes. Fortunately I'm done with OS problems and I've got a working machine so I may let sleeping dogs lay for the time being and enjoy my new build before I tinker with anything else. :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With a new machine, Vista will seem fine - going from XP to Vista on the same machine, however, the performance difference is somewhat alarming.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    Sounds like a good plan.

I find it helpful to have an in depth text on the OS. (Proof I don't know everything. LOL) The major bookstores carry the books. I still have Mastering Windows XP Professional by Minasi and Windows 98 by Gookin. Someone is sure to have a comprehensive book by now. The book by Minasi made the little MS guide for XP, sent along with the OS, look like a joke.

When I decide to move up to Vista, or it gets so common I have to be more familiar with it, I'll pick up a text. So far I've been able to wing it due to the similarity to XP. I had no problems at all setting up a wireless router for a friend with a Vista system. The plug and play and installation wizard worked like XP.

Again... congrats on the build and I'm glad to see you got everything straightend out. You've officially joined the ranks of enthusiast PC builders. LOL Sometimes rank is the operative word. ;) Notwithstanding, be careful of the bug. Once you build one, you keep getting the urge to build another. Good luck ...

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As you alluded to, it's a matter of resources. Many older systems simply don't have the resources to properly run Vista. It's a big OS that needs a lot of RAM and a fast CPU for proper operation. Not to mention all the hardware that has to be Vista compliant. That's more easily built into a new system than trying to upgrade an older one. PC 101.

18. LOCOENG

I still haven't tried hooking my printer up yet...I'm sure that will be the next hurdle as there aren't any Vista drivers on the Epson website.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

A lot of things are compatible, let's hope the printer drivers are one of them. Let us know what happens. It's information some of of us may need later.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  20. LOCOENG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stable and able baby!