1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Lp
    I think he already pulled the trigger on the RAM. LOCO didn't tell us what he got though. I'm not afraid of single rail supplies. The good ones like PC Power are usually more expensive than comparable multiple rail supplies. The 610 at Newegg is the first one I've seen priced that low. But when the prices are close, I'll still opt for the multiple rails.

The OCZs I'm looking at are the OCZ ModXStream / 780W ~ 900W /. They have the higher output and still have modular cables. It's almost like reading a Corsair ad, except they don't push the limits on some of the specs. LOL I don't expect to get it for $75. I wish Corsair would build a higher output unit that would supply more headroom for the power hungry GPUs.

I've heard reliable builders praising some of the high output OCZ supplies, but I've not needed anything that high output. I've built larger for others who wanted dual GPU systems. There I used the Thermaltake ToughPower.
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0131/w0131.asp#
    Those are made for quiet, efficient performance. I was just thinking about the OCZs because they were getting a lot of praise at one point. Hype or real quality. You can give your opinion on the models mentioned for LOCO's future reference. LOL

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

@the MOD's

I think that possibly moving the last 20 or so posts to a thread dedicated to P/S might be a good idea. I've learned more the last few pages about some of the newer P/S out right now then I have on my own the last month or so. :)

ADD:
    I think that docTY has used the Cooler Master 850 on a few builds in the last year or so. I know at one time he was looking at the Antec 850 as well. Also to no surprise he has looked/used a 1000W (SilverStone??) unit but for the life of me I can't remember the make or model. sorry.

Maybe Mort81 will visit and straiten me out. :) He knows more about docTY's systems than I do.

ADD some more...
    I was just looking at the SilverStones and they show a "multi-rail" model and "single-rail" model for almost each wattage. HOW bout that fellas??

....gm

edit:
    PacMan have you looked at these?? SilverStone 750W or this one... SilverStone 850

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@pacman
    Is this the one...$249.99($229.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)3 Business Day Shipping $8.68
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er+Supplies-_-OCZ+Technology++Inc.-_-17341009

This would do the Job..."Search your Feelings...You Know it to be True"...in my best Darth Vader Voice..:)

PC POWER and COOLING Silencer 750 Quad (Black) S75QB Power Supply Retail ***Free Shipping*** $179.90 or you can get the Red one at newegg for the same price...It will handle anything you can throw at it...
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005611

Or move it to the PC Building thread...Loco's First Executive Decision...and Look mod was in all caps...A ban able Offense I believe...

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Lp
    I was thinking the 780W model for about $175. That's comparable to the PC Power you listed. I still don't like the idea of getting 2 GPUs that cost more than the rest of the PC. When I get ready to buy, I'll do more looking around. Luckily, my current PC has a bit more life left to it.

I think we're starting to bore the other members. If we add more PSU info to LOCO's build thread, we may start confusing him, if we haven't already. LOL

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCO
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3119011&Sku=I69-2145 A
    Some drives, CPU cooler, and RAM and you're off to the races. I've used the Ultra case and with an added fan they're good. Not completely tool free, but they're not hard to work with. These are good for beginners and they're an unassembled kit, so you get to build everything. I've bought them for parts before. Note the E6600 processor. Makes for a faster PC than what you were thinking about. Too bad you already got the case. I wouldn't order all these parts individually for a personal build, but for an inexpensive starter set, it's a fast machine.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lp: The OCZ Gamexstream units didn't seem all that wonderful to me, a fixed speed fan, and high ripple performance.
    Pacman: I hear someone used a quad core with two 8800GTXs and a Corsair 620W no problem. Why would they need to make a higher rated unit?

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I believe in one of the reviews that I linked to...they talked about a Quad & 2 GTX's and they said they would not recommend it...They felt it was to close to the Edge of Performance to be Sound...and I would agree with that Assessment...

I know...I would not use a 610 with even a Duo Core and 2 GTX cards...I would go up to the 750 Quad just to be safe...The 610 would probably work...but would not have the margin of safety that I would want...

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Headroom... I mentioned it before for the same reasons Lp just expressed.

On the OCZ, check the one I mentioned and not the GameXStream, there's a difference.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, headroom is very important, but the fact remains, a 620W unit could handle it fine.
    I know you were mentioning the modxstream units which are better, but Lp mentioned he had a GameXstream and wasn't impressed. That's what I was commenting about.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I guess that was what confused me then. Your statement was addressed to me and I was referring to the ModXStream. If the only options were OCZ's lesser PSUs, I wouldn't buy one. Seems they tried to cover the whole marketplace with varying degrees of success.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I think OCZ are improving, they have some good ideas, but their earlier efforts at PSUs weren't fantastic.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Loco...How are you doing on the PC?..
    The good sales are this week...are you ready to start buying parts for the build?..if so...I will keep an eye out for the good sales...and let you know about them...

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up Lp, but I've put the build aside until after xmas...you know I have to get my boy his toys before I can get mine. :)

If I find anything that is too good to pass up I'll buy it but I probably won't be doing anything major until after the holidays. I really won't have to time to throw it all together until then anyway so the parts would just be laying around.

14. soup1

soup1 Member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What are those links for?

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks soup, did you find out anything? I haven't checked gmail yet?

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Sam...I take it...someone likes fortron P/S?...

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

From a link that someone gave us I think the FSP P/S might be ok but also note that the link said something about the "product number" and NOT getting the ones that started with "AX" or something like that. I'm not sure about the "FX" prefix so some more research might be in order. :)

....gm

link.....did you give us this sam?

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

20. soup1

soup1 Member

@LOCOENG, the recommendation was Fortron 450 or up & you should be good to go. Didn't gmail, thought I would post.