1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another PM that needs to be public

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by fasfrank, Oct 31, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

oceangirl
    31. October 2004 @ 00:28
    hi there, i have been working on putting 2 or 3 movies on a dvd disk this i have done with no worries the only problem i have is with the menus u can't click on them at all they show up but then go striaght into the movie i want to be able to click on menus as normally done with dvd movies can u help me in anyway with my prob

cheers
    oceangirl

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I just copied your private message and posted it. Any question that can be asked in the forums should not be asked using PMs, as the rules state.

Here's what is happening. You are coping the entire movie, menus and all, onto the disc. so you are ending up with two or three sets of non-functioning menus.

What you want to do then is to create just one simple menu to be able to select the start of each movie.

Here is how I would do it, keeping it simple:

Rip each movie with Shrink, re-authoring so I am keeping the main movie only. Each movie is placed in a folder on the hard drive.
    Once the last movie is done analysing, and it is at the point of adding the main title to the compilation window, do so. Browse and then add the other movie folders as well.

Back this compilation up. A new folder with the combined, compressed movies is ready for menus.

One slight problem though... Shrink created a compilation that is right at the capacity of the blank media- no room for the menu! You have a couple of options. The first one is to go ahead and add your menu with your authoring program. It may complain however you are not going to use it to burn the disc. What you need to do in this case is use DVD Shrink in the files mode to recompress your compilation with the new menu.

The second option is to leave a bit of room in the first place. When you make your final compilation, set the DVD size to "custom" and leave yourself 100MB or so for the menu. Ie, set the size to 4364 MB. Is that enough? Who knows! I'd use the first option.

Creating the menu.

There are lots of programs that can do simple authoring. One favorite of mine is NeroVision Express. It has a guide that is pretty well written here:
    http://nero.com/us/631956523192996.html.

Read the guide for making a DVD movie and that should explain it fairly well. I have found that most authoring programs are very similar in how they work. Generally cheaper programs like NeroVision Express and TMPGEnc DVD Author have less options but are easier to use.
    Frank