1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-static wristband is that really needed? any other way?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, May 1, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i was just wondering since im getting the parts to build a new pc. i know that static can be really dangerous to the components on the motherboard so i was just wondering do i absolutely need that anti-static wrist band thing or is there another way to make sure you can shock anything? i have everything sitting on a towel im not going to take the motherboard out of the antistatic bag before i get all the parts so i was just curious what other people do about static and how to keep it away from all of the components.

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

You could hold your computer chassis(metal part)with your hand for about 15 seconds to discharge the static electricity in your body.But in my opinion,the anti-static wristband,though is a bit disturbing,looks much safer.

Vincent.

3. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

what if i mount the motherboard on a removable motherboard tray when its not in the case. as long as i keep touching it after i touch the anti-static bag i shouldnt be able to discharge any built up static since im already grounded to this motherboard it self :\ just a thought. i figured it would be easier to put the cpu, memory and video card on the motherboard while its mounted on the removable tray when its out of the case.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

your cheapest option is to wear the darn strap
    esd is the biggest killer of components while they are being fitted
    and a wrist strap is cheap:)

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

as long as you are touching the metal case or esd bag every so often then you will be alright.

6. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

wear the wrist strap believe it's cheaper

7. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!! WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!! WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!!WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!!WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!!WEAR THE WRIST BAND!!!!

dont be a dumbass like me, I'm trying to resolve my issues right now (because I didn't wear one)!!!! speaking of which, ne1 with advice go to my post! Thx :)

8. brad1150

brad1150 Member

An easy way of grounding youself if you have absolutely no money or no time to buy a wrist strap is to take a spare 3 pronged Power cord, pull off the two power prongs, and wrap the grounding prong's wire round your wrist and plug in that third prong. You will be very grounded and safe from shock. I use thsi method all the time as my wrist straps always get lost.

9. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yea that is a good idea i never thought about that. i wonder if someone will post something about plugging the cable into the wall socket and getting electrocuted. as long its just the ground wire that would be the best way of grounding yourself lol. very simple but it would be the most effective.

10. brad1150

brad1150 Member

Unless you take the black and white wires and wrap them around your wrist and dont break off the other 2 prongs then you will be fine. Like I said, this is the method I find myself doing all the time.

11. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

lol that would be like super static or like auto fry motherboard and your brain LOL.i might use that idea though i have a bunch of them power cords around. thats like the simplest idea ive seen and the best. it would really be much better because ur grounding urself directly to ground so theres no way ur body could hold it. with the little wristband thing u just have to connect it to what ur working on kinda like the ground clip from a welder.

12. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

How much is a wrist strap?
    c'mon give the guy a break

£5 at most
    components? at least £50 each

13. brad1150

brad1150 Member

An actual wrist strap is about 5$ US maybe cheaper. But you should just go with the power cord method.