1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antivirus and antispyware software

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jimi_d, May 20, 2006.

1. jimi_d

jimi_d Member

If you know of any really great antiviruses would you please cite them in this thread.

Here are a few to start off with:

-avast antivirus
    -kaspersky
    -bit defender

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

There are a lot of great freeware products out there.I found Grisoft's AVG and Alwil's Avast 4 to be the most feature-rich, I feel comfortable recommending any of the two. They all update their virus definitions automatically and have a seal of approval from at least one testing lab.

[bold]Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus System[/bold]:
    AVG includes memory-resident scanners, plus e-mail scanners.

[bold]Avast[/bold]:it offers memory-resident scanning. But Avast surpasses AVG by scanning both Outlook and standard Internet (POP3/SMTP) mail, making it a good choice if you use a non-Microsoft mail client.

jimi,you seemed to find kapersky good we'll in my opinion it lacked features.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  3. jimi_d

jimi_d Member

thank for the info but i really dont understand what you mean by "making it a good choice if you use a non-Microsoft mail client."

Would you please elaborate when you say kaspersky lacks features.In my opinion it's not the amount of features that defines the goodness of an antivirus but the amount of protection it offers.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

AVG 7 Free is the best, hands down. I used to use that evil Norton crap, and as soon as I got rip of it and install AVG, it right away found seven viruses, two were trojans, that norton never saw! Stick with AVG and your computer will be safe from viruses.

5. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Scoop,
    In you're opinion does Avast pro overtake AVG free?
    When you pay for a software to protect you're computer it has got to be best.Hasen't it?

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Unfortunately in the real world, certain viruses will get by any antivirus program. What Norton will miss, Mcaffee will hit and so will AVG, but each program has its Achille's heel. Norton's seems to be a system hog, Computer Associates anti virus let a couple into my system, lost the boot sector, quite messy. Mcaffee for me seems to be the better of the big three, AVG seems to be the best free one. Unfortunately I am not a virus expert, nor an expert on anti viral programs, just pitching in what has worked/not worked for me. Hope this helps.
    Try this link for more info from a much more learned individual.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I'm with blivetNC. I have for quite some time both AVG and Avast installed, plus 3 spyware/adware programs plus a firewall. *_*

8. rav009

rav009 Active member

Use AVG Free, its more than capable of standing up to all the other comercial products, I use it myself and have told many others to do the same, none have ever had a problem with the program, its great.

As far as anti spyware is concerned, Trend Mirco anti spyware does it for me :)

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved

10. musik_g

musik_g Member

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

just because you pay for software doesn't mean its better. there are MANY freeware apps out there that work great. For example: DVD X COPY costs money, and its probably one of the crapiest DVD encoder programs out there. Then look at DVD Shrink...FREE, and one of the best.

I have heard many good things about avast as well, so stick with either that or AVG.

12. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

i have found that the best is McAfee easily its great it has detected and cleaned every single virus i have ever got even when i put on a virus purposefully it still cleans it easily GO MCAFEE!!! lol :)

13. Timmy1970

Timmy1970 Regular member

For getting rid of spyware, Spysweeper (Webroot) is my top choice - however it is just about impossible to circumnavigate the registration (even if you do, when you load new spyware 'fingerprints' in it'll detect the invalid key etc and it'll get outdated, rendering it useless) - so in short you'll have to pay (I did, it's worth it).

VET antivirus (Computer Associates) is my choice for virus protection and it does the job well, but once again it isn't free, AND i don't know about other spyware programs but this one seems to cause glitches when playing games (usually just graphical annoyances such as 'clipping'), so you have to turn off active protection, which is a bit of a risk.'

*** By the way the computer associates site has comprehensive details on how to get rid of a lot of known viruses which is handy if your having trouble weeding out the little bastards!!
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/

A good program for removing that pain in the ass Adware (I hate pop-ups!) is Ad-aware SE (Lavasoft)- fortunately its free for a basic version, but you'll have to pay for the more advanced features. Still it does a good job and is useful to have.

I've also heard Spybot is a good freeware application, and i've heard rather bad things from my dad about PC Cillin (but my mate likes it...

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  14. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

16. panther42

panther42 Member