1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any better free options besides Ad-Aware 2007?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sorrow93, Mar 28, 2008.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I figure this didn't fit into the virus/spyware forum because it's not a certain problem - I am having an awful time with Ad-Aware 2007 free edition it seems really buggy and the defs take over 20 minutes to download on my ancient dial-up
    could anyone recommend a better free alternative besides Spybot S & D and preferably a safe download?
    something that might run well in the backgound until I manually scan and not crash registry changes?
    any advice welcome

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thnaks DPP will take a good look
    cheers

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

try "returnil" it's the best antispyware available. It will defeat all known/unknown antivirus/spyware. It runs in the background without slowing down your computer. Once you install it, you don't need any new definitions. It works very good, I surf everywhere and have yet to catch anything that a simple reboot couldn't fix.

Unlike antispyware programs, where you need several programs just in order to defeat different kinds of attacks, "returnil" is a program that works on it's own without other addons.

my system
    1.zonealarm firewall
    2.avg free antivirus
    3.firefox 2.0 browser
    4.returnil (used instead of antispyware software)

If you have the above setup, you are protected against all type of virus/spyware attacks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_d5702.html

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@jony218 thankyou that's an interesting option
    cannot go past FireFox either - cheers

6. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

Is Zone Alarm better than Comondo?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Both are a pain in the a$$.. comodo is a chocolate fireguard, and zonealarm is
    a) too paranoid
    b) full of holes because it gets in the way so much you end up disabling it.

Firefox and noscript used together are more than adequate when used with sensible antivirus/antispyware free solutions and the stock windows firewall.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

i have adaware 2007 and have no problems.imho it is the best free anti spyware program you can get.maybe dialup is more yur problem.

9. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

I had huge problems with AdAware. It turns out I needed to download the new version. It was using 50% of my CPU on idle lol.

10. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

Are you serious? Who still has dial up, you?

This thread was meant for some informative insite about firewalls,adaware, etc not the type of connection you have. Yes you mentioned you have Ad-Aware, great but I don't think you bashing on someone because you believe they still have dial up is on topic, do you alden?

11. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

I'm asuming he was knocking your connection, but maybe he was being helpful. Still report his post if u got a prob.

12. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

What exactly do you mean by that?

So Zonealarm is more problems then it's worth in your opinion, or at least works too well.

I have Windows famous operating system "Vista" and it came stocked with Window's Defender and the trial of Norton. I don't really care for Norton to much. Firefox and noscript, I am not familiar with. I'll check them out.

13. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

i_am_alex, you got it.

I'm not sure where his comment was directed but felt his bashing on either the original poster of this thread or myself was uncalled for.

If that's the process to report people who want to throw in unrelated suggestions, then so be it.

Now here is a question. What would the effect be if the connection was dial up?

14. ddp

slooooooowwwwwwww updates.

15. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

Got it.

Thanks for the understanding.

16. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

actually good to read some suggestions and viewpoints
    I do like Ad-Aware apart from the download gives no idea of how long it will take it just goes idle for 20 minutes even a progress bar would be helpful and it's the awful idle time that prompts my modem to give me a disconnection warning after 10-15 minutes (also the ISP standards)
    this never happens with any other downloads
    I might bide my time until they release Ad-Aware 2008 perhaps it will get better
    but for the free edition it is mighty appreciated worldwide
    I've used it's variations for years and have to say the early versions were better !

17. ddp

ad-aware se i had no problems with but have with the 2007 version. i've installed it onto a number of customers' pcs but have switched over to the avg anti-spyware program. no problems yet. i still use spybot s&d so what 1 program misses the other will pick up.

18. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

FYI AVG Anti-Spyware will cease to exist as a standalone product as of 12/31/2008 (at the latest).
    I hold a lifetime license (from when it was Ewido) and was advised of this several months ago (of course no lifetime with AVG).
    AVG 8.0 (which is out now) combines the anti-spyware and anti-virus into one product and there will be no standalone of either.
    AVG FAQ.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  19. ddp

AVG 8.0 Free Edition is not available yet. It will be released in the second quarter of 2008.

20. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@dpp it's great to have the combination of spyware software whereas it's tricky or not practical to have more than one major AV program I'm using Norton as my main and ad-aware 2007 - I believe a popular combo is Ad-Aware with Spybot S & D for the spyware/malware/nasties protection
    I don't mean to nitpick with Ad-Aware 2007 I did have other bug issues but I won't bore everyone with that.
    it's helpful to know I'm not the only one who had issues
    thanks for your advice and help Dpp