1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any better free options besides Ad-Aware 2007?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sorrow93, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

which norton do you have as have found issues with it's different versions?

2. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2007 on my second-year subscription
    I found it to be a dream
    people knocked it and said it would snail my dial-up but I am one satisfied consumer
    I've had zero probs

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

*correction* people said it would slow my whole system And Dial-up
    not the case at all for me

4. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

So all new versions will be like 8.0? Where they are combined

5. varnull

varnull Guest

I also roamed the AVG site and couldn't find any mention of it being combined into a full solution.

what I did find was
    which says to me that support for this free product will continue into next year.
    Whatever.. currently IMHO it is the best anti-spyware solution you can get regardless of price.

My choice of avast for a free antivirus solution comes from lots of experience with malware infested XP machines.. which always seemed to be running some flavour of norton internet security.
    It is also my opinion that norton apart from being a huge drain on system resources is not adequate.. if it was they would only have a market for 1 year rather than the rolling subscription for poor protection.

NB:: chocolate fireguard .. looks good but melts when the going gets hot :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  6. ddp

7. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

- IMHO -

Forgive me, but what does that mean?

8. ddp

read the link.

9. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

To much research involved. Just needed a quick answer and I'm calling it a day at work and in the brief view of AVG site (by the way I do have ABG 8.0) I didn't grasp the term.

10. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

varnull
    On the FAQ page that I linked to:

As a user of the paid AVG AS, I was advised by email that support for it would cease at the end of the year.

11. varnull

varnull Guest

jeffw224

Well in that case I will have to look for either a different spyware solution for my domestic customers or see if AVG -as free will continue to update it's definitions without upgrading to the full thing.

It may be that support for paying users is somewhat different to that offered to the free version users. On this page http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-spyware/ it mentions nothing about being discontinued now.. and the end of the year is a long time away.

I suppose there are always the old fallbacks of Adaware and Spybot.

I'm not impressed with the avg antivirus offering, and I don't like these "one thing does all" solutions. They seem (like norton) very vulnerable to targeted attacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Yeah I am not too pleased myself. I thought I was set with the lifetime license. I also will be hanging on to the end as I am not looking forward to the search for a replacement.

There is a couple of threads on this at the Ewido forum at Wilders.
    It pretty much is a lame duck product with no work on the engine, but the signature updates will continue.

The "all in one" trend is getting worse. The new AVG asks you to remove any other real time protection because of potential "conflicts".

Pure greed.