1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any downsides to 1080p?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by VJbob, Jul 29, 2006.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I was hoping to buy a new HDTV for christmas this year but it looks like there are no sets between 37"-42" that will have 1080p available. I also heard that sets under 50" aren't big enough to properly display 1080p anyway. Is that true?

Anyway my question is that does 1920 x 1080 resolution from 1080p have downsides? Example, when I upgraded to my first HDTV I noticed that the picture from regular TV looked like crap (now I only watch regular TV on a standard def TV). The same goes for DVDs, which I also only watch on standard def TVs with progressive scan.

Will the same thing happen with 1080p where the potential clarity destroys pictures with lower native resolutions? I hope that makes sense.

Also, will the loss of quality of making a DVD-5 from a DVD-9 show up on more expensive TV's like plasma or will it be barely noticeable?

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Westinghouse makes smaller sized 1080p displays from 37" to 47":

http://www.westinghousedigital.com
    (Search for 1080p monitors)

My Sony SXRD 1080p can be picky with standard def programming from my Comcast cable box. Using a good upconverting DVD player should give you better results compared to a progressive-scan player.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  3. skater685

skater685 Regular member

well your dvd problems will all be solved once bluray and hd-dvd is widely avaliable...

4. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

[bold]VJbob[/bold]
    Far as going from a DVD9 to a DVD5 have you ever tryed using DL-disc? You can get the best picture by using a DL because there is no compression.DL-disc cost but that way you wont see all the Dead pixels on your bigger TV displays.Us Verbatims DL only.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I noticed issues when switching resolution, just like dblbogey7.

An alternative to using DL discs is to use a good quality encoder for compression. DVD Shrink showed terrible compression issues on my set, but switching to DVD-RB Pro with CCE-SP as an encoder delivered amazing results for me. I understand HC Encoder (that comes with DVD-RB) is also a very nice encoder if you want to keep it on the free side.

6. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

sandt38, yeah I use DVD-RB Pro with CCE Basic. I found it works best for Full DVD backups. How did you get a hold of CCE SP? (Nevermind I really don't wanna know). Have you tried using both? I have a friend who also has SP and said that there is no visible difference (with Basic) except faster encoding. Is that true?

Dblbogey7, thanks for illuminating me about the westinghouse 42". Has lots of awards, great price, and even read the positive review in my old S&V magazine. Only problem is that you can ONLY buy it online. I checked all the regular stores and none of them carry it in stock. I can't buy this TV without checking out the picture for myself. If you know of any stores that have this I have got to check it out personally.

Seems like LCD is better than Plasma because 1) they all have a PC input 2) they all have headphone jacks 3) they tend to have higher resolutions 4) they are comparably more expensive than plasmas at the same sizes (you usually get what you pay for).

Any answers greatly appreciated.

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

8. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

VJbob,

My wife bought it for me for father's day. Yes, I am a lucky man ;).

The encoders for CCE-SP and CCE-Basic are supposed to be the same engine, so no there is no real differance in quality. The SP version is better for advanced authoring, etc. If there is any differance in speed I would suggest it is just a nominal differance.

I am simply not a fan of Plasma. I went out about 3 years ago to buy a TV. I had about $12,000 I had prepared to spend on the big Pioneer Elite Plasma. However, when I walked in the store and looked at the display I was sick. There was a Staind DVD in there and the seperation of black levels was horrible, and the black was more of a dark grey. The owner of the shop, who is a friend and buisness associate of mine (I build custom high end speakers for his high end clientelle when he can't fill their needs in store), told me you couldn't give him a plasma.

Look into DLPs as well. Their quality is great and they are generally a bit cheaper then LCD or Plasma.

9. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

the 'advanced authoring' is not an issue though when using DVD-RB right? Do you have to change the DVD-RB settings much for use with SP? I heard something about encoding with multiple passes.

Thanks for the info about LCD. I had my heart set on plasma but now I'm leaning toward LCD.

10. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I have two concerns with the westinghouse LCD.

1) Shouldn't I need 3 HDMI inputs (1 for PS3, 1 for HDTV, 1 for High Def-DVD)?

2) It says on the website that the westinghouse displays only 13 billion colors compared with the panasonic 9th generation plasma which displays 29 billion colors. Thats a huge disparity.

I'm gonna go check out the westinghouse at my local best buy.

11. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I suggested DLP, not LCD ;). TI has the technology, and here are the authorized brands:

http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainment/home_entertainment_product_search.asp?bhcp=1

13 billion colors isn't enough? I doubt any human could really percieve the differance.

With DVD-RB and basic encoding you do not need anything for advanced authoring. It is for manipulation of the DVD, not for what you are using it for. DVD-RB and CCE Basic is an excellent suite that will perform at the highest levels... no need to use any more program, SP would be overkill.

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  13. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I was in the market for an HDTV at about 42" I thought that the two best are plasma and LCD. I was looking at the Samsung DLP at 42" for about $1300. But I really wanted the best HDTV that could last me at least 5 years (thats why I needed 1080p). I heard that DLP requires a spinning color wheel that takes a while to load up and has a rainbow effect.

sandt38 and dblbogey7- would you mind telling me what sets you eventually settled on and how you feel about the choices now.

I checked the bestbuy website and there are no westinghouses available for about 50 miles around where I live.

I went to Costco and say a Vizio 42" plasma for $1299. I remember that it got a S&V approval too. My budget was $3000 but maybe I can spend the extra money on a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. Honestly though, who's going to buy blu-ray when the HD-DVD player is half the price?

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, all rear projection TVs take time to turn on because they use sensitive high-wattage bulbs that must be cooled properly. They also take some time to warm up. It has nothing to do with the color wheel.

DLP tvs have a high fill rate and better color reproduction than LCD (rear projection or flat panel).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  15. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

The May 2006 issue of Home Theater has a review of the Westinghouse 1080p set and gave it a pretty decent score (91). You can go read it on their web site. I also was reluctant to buy it due to only one HDMI. I did not realize there was a low cost switcher out there. Are there any limitations or other draw-backs to the switcher?
    Keep in mind the WH is just a monitor which OK if you don't need tuners for locals.
    Sandy

16. rmarier83

rmarier83 Member

An HDMI switcher costs like $250-$550 (Just an estimate), and it has to do with the number of ports you get out of them and maybe some other things; you'd have to read about each one seperately.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  17. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  18. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

sandytntn: are you happy with your westinghouse 42"? How does DVD playback look well on that TV?

Also, using a standard DVD player with component and progressive scan, will a DVD look worse on a 1080p TV than a 1080i because the 480p resolution is so much lower than the capabilities of 1080p resolution?

19. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

I don't have one (westinghouse). I just said I considered it but was reluctant because only one HDMI.
    Sandy

20. iboomalot

iboomalot Member

Iam waiting for SED to hit the streets next yr.

uses less power, better color , faster response times etc etc etc