1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any downsides to 1080p?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by VJbob, Jul 29, 2006.

1. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I've heard of LED technology from Kodak that is supposed to be better than regular CRT HD. It supposed to be the technology used in cell phones.

I also heard that Sony is going to release the new Bravia line with 1080p just in time for the PS3. I wonder why Sony has only invested in LCD and not Plasma (unlike Samsung).

not sure if any of this is true.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Are you sure you don't mean OLED (instead of LED)?

I too am waiting for SED techonolgy. I am also intrested in the new DLP back lighting technologies coming to market next year. Toshiba and Mitsubishi plan to use lazers in there future DLPs while Samsung plan to use LEDs. They are both replacements for the color wheel (that causes the rainbow effect) and high wattage lamp. All the companies hope to achieve a half-life span of 30,000+ hours with there new light sources.

Ced

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

That's one beautiful display Ced. Is it HDMI 1.3 already?

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm sure it doesn't since the PS3 is the first product slated to have an HDMI 1.3 compatible port. Like I said before, unless the tv supports deep-color and/or the [bold]xvYCC[/bold] color space HDMI 1.3 doesn't do much for current tv sets. HDMI 1.1 is all they require, for now.

Ced

8. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

wow I knew someone was using LED somewhere. I also heard of FED (field emission display) and that was also supposed to be the next evolution of TV.

Is Samsung even making new DLP models for 42"? I've been seeing the same 42" for like 2 years now at local chain stores. It seems like the only DLPs worth looking at are 50" and above.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

FED is even further away then SED although they are about the samething just backed by differnt campanies.

As far as DLP, Mitsubishi and others are developing a backlighting system based on laser technology!

I don't know why Samsung has put out the same 42" every year for the past few years? The 42" size is kinda dead because noone is making 1080p sets that small, I guess.

SED info...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/243527

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  10. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I have questions about HDMI 1.3. It seems like its only necessary if you want next-gen HD audio but most receivers I've seen only have one HDMI input or most have none. Can't the HD audio be transmitted over optical (toslink) cable? If so then it would make sense to me to just wait for next gen receivers that can decode HD audio and just have optical links from you HD-DVD player, PS3, HD-cable box straight to your receiver and bypass the TV which may not have HDMI 1.3 compliant yet.

Sure it might be cheaper and easier to run all HDMI 1.3s to your HDTV and have an HDMI 1.3 directly output to your reciever but it doesn't look like people who buy current HDTVs will be able to do that. Especially if I purchase the Sony 50A2000 which probably isn't HDMI 1.3 compliant yet. <I hope this makes sense>

11. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

If you're referring to audio from the HD-DVD player you can get DD+ or Dolby TruHD (with the 2.0 FW) by using the 5.1 analog outs. These are decoded by the player. You don't need an HDMI receiver - just one with 5.1 analog inputs.

Here's my setup:

Video: Toshiba HD-A1 HDDVD set to 1080i -> HDMI out -> Sony SXRD

Audio: Toshiba HD-A1 HDDVD -> 5.1 Analog out -> Rotel Preamp analog in (DD+ in most titles or Dolby TruHD in some)

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No. S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwith.

Listen to dblbogey7, His set up will provide the best quality Video and Audio if your reciever doesn't have HDMI inputs or can't decode the new audio formats.

If your receiver did have an HDMI input HDMI would still be a great option because all versions of HDMI can carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio (L-PCM) which is the equvalent of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA and surpasses the quality of Dolby Digital Plus.

Ced

13. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Thanks Ced.

Using the 5.1 analogs just needs a little tweaking of the levels and LFE/Bass settings depending on your equipment and room acoustics. I also used the audio setup section of DVE with a sound meter from Radio Shack. It may take some effort but it's well worth it.

14. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

My current receiver only has 1 optical, 1 coaxial and the green,orange,black for the computer. I guess I'm out of luck until I upgrade my receiver (which will probably be in several years since its not necessary for great sound for a bedroom Home Theater.

Probably by then the receivers will have more HDMI inputs and genuine support for the new HD audio formats.

15. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

You can still enjoy DTS sound from the coax or optical connection. The DD+ soundtrack is processed by the unit to DTS and sent out thru the digital connections.