1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas why this happens?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by DADEO1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

When I burn a DVD with Decrypter or Image Burn,I can only burn at 1X or 2X speed,anything more and I get the good old Power Calibration Errors. It doesn't matter whos media I'm using. Does this sound more like a problem with the burner (NEC ND3550A) or computer or programs or what I had for breakfast? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.Thank you.

2. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

I just read a sticky about this,but happens no matter what media I use.. I use to burn just fine at 4X and if I wanted to for time reasons could go 8X and higher just fine.The burns are all succesfull at 2X,just takes 25 minutes or more per burn.Everything is the same,I don't do anything different,but only 1X or 2X work anymore.

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Check that DMA is still on.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

5. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

Thanks for the reply.I had read that guide before and checked for DMA.Everything was ok.I had updated the firmware from 105 to 106.Just for the heck of it I uninstalled then reinstalled the driver,took out the Sony disc and stuck in a Verbatim,put the speed up to 4X and it started to burn.Boy was I happy,then about 30 some percent into the burn the same old error came up.If I go back to 1X or 2X the burn completes with any disc.I just can't figure this out.Any other ideas,suggestions? Maybe there's nothing wrong and I just have to burn at the slow speeds,could this be the case?Doesn't seem right but for now seems like the only thing I can do.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Might just be the burner. CDFreaks has a review of a ND-3540A (should be similar) and it seems to burn a wide variety of media at 16X with very good results. It even burns SONY 08D1 (8X media) at 16X with very good results.

Maybe you should peruse/post at their NEC forum for some clues.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

7. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

I checked alot of reviews before I bought it and they all seemed real good.Before it completely quit burning anything higher than a 2X,It would burn a 4X maybe 1 time out of 10.Luckly it would bring up the error and stop before it wrote to and ruined the disc. (most of the time)My only conclusion now is the burner is faulty.Of course I've had it now for a couple months and the reciept is long gone.The good thing is it was cheap, (sort of)I think it was around $30.00.If you or anyone thinks of anything I could look at or try,post it and I'll see it and give it a try.Thanks for your help and input.

8. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

I was just wondering through Image Burn and came up with this question.In where you change the book type under "NEC" the only selections are for + media and I have only used - media.Could this have something to do with the slow burn speed?

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

One problem with reviews is there is no Longevity test. And although burners have gotten a lot cheaper they also seem to have suffered from what usually plagues cheap merchandise.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Only +Rs can be booktyped.

11. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

Thanks for the reply,I'm just taking stabs in the dark trying to figure this out.I hate to think it's just the burner acting like a cheapy burner but that seems to be the only thing left.

12. attar

attar Senior member

Are you really, really sure that you have good media?
    Most of the references about the problem you mention sem to come back to the media.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    Checking the disk ID seems to be the only way that you can guarantee a decent disk anymore.
    The other cures (if it isn't the media or the burner) relate to changes made to the PC hardware eg. moving the burner to another controller or changing the the power connector- and I have yet to see someone come back and say those were the problem- it's always the media.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  13. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

Thanks again for the reply and help.I tried the DVD Identifier and the Sonys came uo as Sony Recording Media Co. Sony 16D1 and the Verbatiums came up MCC03RG20.So it looks like the medias ok.Is there somewhere I can get the burner info looked at.Would the info DVD Identifier brings up show anything related as to why I can only burn 1X or 2X?

14. attar

attar Senior member

No, but Nero Info Tool can read the drive firmware and confirm what it should be capable of.
    Have you burned with Nero and looked at the resulting log to see if it can shed light on the problem?
    The Nero forum here can give a log a going over.

15. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

I tried Nero last night with the same results.No good at 4X but it burned ok at 2X.I'll have to get the logs to the Nero forum and see what they say. Thanks.

16. attar

attar Senior member

17. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

A quick question: if I burn a ISO (shrink to decrypter)shouldn't the daggone burner be able to play it? (read it)

18. attar

attar Senior member

If it burned it, it should read it.
    If it plays on a standalone ok, it should play in the PC.

19. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

It's just another thing that makes me think the burner is kaput.It will burn it (only at 1X or 2X) but won't read it,it used to read them. The dvd plays fine on the standalone player.

20. DADEO1

DADEO1 Regular member

Just for the heck of it I ran Image Burn at 16X in the "test mode." The burner ran right through the ISO file perfectly.Then I tried to burn the file and the error pops up,no burn.Another thing is I can't shut Image Burn off.I can try to exit the program,but the burner just whirls away and Image Burn refuses to shut off.The exact same thing happens in Decrypter.If I want to exit either program,I have to do a hard shutdown of the computer.Does anyone have any thoughts,ideas or comments on this? Please I would love to read some comments.