1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one have a ilo DVD Recorder With 80 GB Hard Drive, DVDRH04, from Wal-Mart,is it a good recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Joecephus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. dayturner

dayturner Member

I am happy to have been of help, Nick2. I suspect, however, that the condition will recur at some point and probably on some disc that you didn't want to lose. Good luck.

2. mput

mput Guest

I bought mine Dec 2004, Just craped out a week ago. Support said nothing they can do it's a month out of warentee. So now I have a piece of junk. I would not recommend buying one. I did write to the Press Relations person at Lite-on. Probley will not get me any where.

3. Nick2

Nick2 Member

OK, new problem here. Actually several, so lets see if I'm the only one this is happening to. First, when using the ILO remote to change channels on my tv, sometimes pressing the button up or down will activate the recording feature. I have to stop it from recording and erase the last few seconds and then continue channel surfing. Annoying. Second, sometimes after viewing something I've recorded and left on the HD I will stop it and when I return to the tv program that is on, the last frame of that same show will be frozen on my tv screen. I have to turn the ILO off and back on. This happening to anyone else?

4. dayturner

dayturner Member

I have noticed that mine sometimes does just weird stuff, too. Nothing like Nick2 is reporting, other than occasional unrequested recording starts. Problem is, one does not know if this is a software or hardware situation. If software, one could probably reformat and reinstall software. With the little activity taking place on this thead anymore, I am guessing that most people have given up on this machine which is perhaps the Kaypro of recording devices.

5. Sawney

Sawney Member

Has anyone figured out how to get the tray open once it starts hanging up?

6. Nick2

Nick2 Member

You have to unplug it from the wall outlet and then restart the machine by pressing the OPEN TRAY button. The machine will come on and the first thing it does is opens the tray for you. Other than that I see no other way.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  7. dayturner

dayturner Member

I have had success in unplugging the machine and plugging it back in and then turning it back on by pushing the eject button.

8. Sawney

Sawney Member

Dayturner and Nick2,

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately, that no longer seems to work. Once it did.

9. Tekkie

Tekkie Member

DVD recorders are guarenteed for 90 days with reciept at WALMART. I checked while I was there.

10. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

This is an old thread ---- But

I have two RHD04 and one R04 two are over a year old.
    I have not had one problem with these machines

If anyone is considering junking their unit please PM me and I will consider buying it

11. Nick2

Nick2 Member

Here's a question, and for once it isn't because I actually have a problem with my ILO. I want to take a commercial dvd and rip just one small section, say a 2 or 3 minute clip, from it and then copy it to the hard drive of my ILO. I tried using DVDDecrypter to rip the dvd into vob files, but I can't seem to find a way to get them from my computer to a dvd to my ILO HD. Anyone?

12. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

why wouldn't you want the whole movie and you want just some clips from it.

Just get a dvd copy program and copy it using your computer then play it in your ilo.

13. dayturner

dayturner Member

another thing you can do if you have a regular dvd player is just play it through the ilo and hit record just before you get to the spot you want and then stop when it is done. If you get too much before or after, it is not difficult to separate the extra frames and delete them.

14. Nick2

Nick2 Member

I don't understand what you mean about using a regular dvd player. You mean to play the dvd in one player, attach the first player to my ILO, and attach the ILO to my tv?

15. dayturner

dayturner Member

use the red,white and yellow outlets from your dvd player and plug them into the front or rear inputs on the ILO, select whichever source you are using (there is a source button on your remote) and play it out your TV. If you are compiling various scenes, you could cut out the ilo hard drive by just recording direct to a dvd in the ilo. would suggest an rw as you might want to edit. This is not that difficult to figure out.

16. Nick2

Nick2 Member

Dayturner if you were a woman, and pretty, I'd give you a big wet one. What the hell, I'd even slip you some tongue! I've been beating my head against a wall for the longest time trying to figure out how to do that exact thing and here you are with the answer. I just got it hooked up and it works great! Thanks man, you da coolest!

17. jfr2863

jfr2863 Member

I own one. It works well if you use +R dvd blanks. It works best if you use dvd+rw. Then copy it with nero to a blank dvd. Then it works like a Charm. Walmarts is sold out right now but I have another link that is not sold out.

18. Nick2

Nick2 Member

Just when my little ILO wasn't giving me any trouble it had to remind me of all the crap I'd gone through to get it that way. Anyone know the best dvd blanks to use with this thing? I have been using Maxell and had a good track record, now I'm out of Maxells and have tried burning the same movie to three different blanks I had on hand--Verbatim 8x, Memorex 16x, Sony 8x--only to get the same response, "INVALID DISC". The Sony discs have never worked, but I expected the other two to come out alright. Maybe 16x is too much. Should I stick to 8x only? Even though Maxell works best, I can never find them on sale and they seem to be among the most costly. I got a great deal on the Memorex 16x but none of them have worked in the ILO so far. I can't figure out the problem with the Verbatim 8x discs, as they have worked before. Right now I'm defragmenting my HD, though I don't think that's going to help seeing that it isn't the HD I'm having trouble with. I tried running a disc cleaner (a disc with the little brushes on it) twice and it doesn't help. Anyone got any helpful hints before I finally drive a stake through this POS and sprinkle holy water on it?

19. dayturner

dayturner Member

Nick, you did not say if you were tryint to use Rs or RWs. My ILO has just plain quit on Rs. It always tries to read them as RWs and ruins them. I use to be able to get it to read Rs by running a cleaning disk cycle through it, but that has quit working so I use RWs exclusively in it now. I have been able, by watching the ads, to get RWs for around 40 cents quite often (Office Depot this week had 25 pack for 7.99 so I stocked up). If I want to make copies for someone else, I use the computer and copy them to Rs which, if finalized, play quite well in dvd players.

I am wondering if this technology may not be a little ahead of its time -- hard drive/dvd recording capability, that is. I have been watching for something to replace the ILO and while there use to be a lot of these HD/DVD recorders out there, I do not see many of them on the market any more and the ones I do see are somewhat expensive.
    If I had my TV cable running to my computer room, I could record to the computer hard drive.

20. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Thats easy just get a tv tuner about 30 - 50 dollars and you want too change that too HDD for hard drive since there is HDdvd players and soon too be recorder is HI Def.