1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one have a ilo DVD Recorder With 80 GB Hard Drive, DVDRH04, from Wal-Mart,is it a good recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Joecephus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rbwok

rbwok Guest

I upgraded mine a while back...didn't have any problems. Used an HP CD-R disk.

2. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

did you burn it as a DATA disc? Iso how? Did you rename the file or anything? Please let me know.

Did you get any added features also using the Lite-On Firmware. Because i think you should be able to foward and rewind TIME SHIFT now.

3. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

AGAIN the LITE-On Firmware right? Not the ILO Firmware. Did you get it off the Lite-On Site?

4. rbwok

rbwok Guest

I got mine from the ILO website (http://www.ilohelp.com/download2.htm)

The instructions there said to burn it as a data disc...that's what I did and all seems to be well.

5. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

oh ok....thats not what i was talking about. Lite-On has a DVD recorder with HardDrive....basically the same. I thought you used there Firmware. Anyways forget it.

6. adambrann

adambrann Member

The problem with audio not copying to the DVD from the HDD was fixed with the 1185 firmware update. They have since released version 1191 which fixed the issue of short audio dropouts when playing from the HDD and issues with FF/REW function.There are still a few issues needing to be fixed but, for the most part, the recorder works well. I own 2 HD04 models. I have set up a download site for firmware upgrades for both ILO recorders (DVDR04/HD04) with information on each one and instructions on how to do the updates. There is also hacked firmware for the 04 to add LP 3-hour mode and disable Macrovision. The site can be found here:

http://www.ss3f.com/ilo

There are many forums at http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/index.php
    regarding the ILO recorders with loads of info. Check it out.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  7. randluke

randluke Member

I am having the same problem as rob730. The dvds I copy from the HD to the dvd will not play in any player except the Ilo. I've tried 4 different players. The dvd just spins. It plays fine in the Ilo. Does anyone have an answer to this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. pafrank

pafrank Member

randluke: Are you sure you are "finalizing" your disks after recording? This may be why you can't play on other machines.

9. dfwhomer

dfwhomer Member

I need to ask a really STUPID question as I am pretty new to this type of stuff. I have been thinking of getting the DVDRH04 or the Pioneer DVR-225. Both are about the same price.

Here's my question. If I get the Ilo recorder with the 80GB drive, will I be able to pause/rew/ff television as I would if I had TiVo? I understand that I wouldn't have the programming capability that TiVo has.

Thanks for listening while an electronically-challenged thirtysomething embarrassed himself.

10. randluke

randluke Member

paFrank: Yeah. I finalized it in the Disk Tools. I've tried it in an old ProScan, Play Station 2, and couple of others but I can't think of the brands off hand.

11. adambrann

adambrann Member

dfwhomer,

The HD04 does have some limited time shifting abilities. It will allow you to pause live TV and continue to watch it a short time later with the ability to ff/rew and return to the live signal.

It will not, however, allow you to start recording something and then try to watch the recording from the beginning while it is still recording, like a Tivo will.

If you are doing any type of recording on the HD04, you will not be able to use any other functions like watch the tuner or play a DVD. You can only watch what is being recorded.

12. deanberch

deanberch Guest

Does anyone know if the new firmware for DVDRH04 has been released (or will be released). It is now January 7th, and still no updates on the Ilo site. I am having all kinds of problems with the one I have(the second) and it will be soon be going back to walmart if i cant get it fixed.

13. rob730

rob730 Guest

deanberch..I was wondering the same thing about the release of the update. Like you I've had problem after problem with the DVDRH04 and I'm fed up. I tried to call the Ilo helpline and was put on hold for over an hour before I hung up.(must be 1000's of others with the same problems) The only other thing I can do is return it to walmart and purchase a namebrand product & reputable product like the panasonic with the HD. I think most of us have given them the benefit of doubt and we were just given (sold) junk.

14. qcmallard

qcmallard Member

randluke--

If you are having problems with the audio not playing in other players but the video is ok, it is most likely because the ilo (older firmware) did not correctly identify the audio type it records. If you have a PC with a burner and can figure out how to use a program called ifoEdit, you can repair the files. I tried an ilo DVD-HD recorder and had the same problem with audio not playing on other players. I took mine back to wait for improved models. The ilo (with old firmware) sets the audio type as AC3 in the ifo file instead of MPEG-1 Layer 2 which is what is actually recorded. I worked around it by copying to DVD+RW discs then copying them to my PC. I used ifoedit to change the audio attribute in the VTSI_MAT table to change the coding mode to MPEG-1. I can't remember if anything else needed changing but ifoEdit should show as below when done.
    Coding mode Mpeg-1
    Channels 2
    Sample Rate 48Kbps
    Quantization/DRC 16bps
    Language English

You should be able to find ifoEdit with a Google search and find some guides on how to use it. I also recommend copying the original .ifo and .bup files to a backup folder before you start to edit the .ifo files (the .bup files are just backups of the .ifo files and ifoEdit will ask if you want to save the changes to them also when you edit the .ifo files). Sorry I don't have time to walk through all the steps but I hope this helps somebody.

15. deanberch

deanberch Guest

Who wants to go to all that crap??/
    Guess I will wait another week or so and see if anything transpires on the Ilo website about the new firmware.. I have been considering the Liton lvw 5045 but now it no longer seems to be offered by Comp U Plus, and isnt even listed as a product by Liton on their website. Whats the deal with that!!! There are Liton units for sale on Ebay, however.
    Sigh, Maybe Best Buy and Panasonic gets my money..

16. rob730

rob730 Guest

Talked to tech support at ILO today about audio not playing on recorded dvds from the HD. They asked did I finalize the disk?Yes. Did I use the correct blank discs? Yes. Did I update the firmware? Yes..The tech guy then advised me to return my system, which I will be doing on Monday. I'm looking at buying a Toshiba RD-XS32 with a 80 GB HD for 398 at Walmart online. It can be no worse than the ILO...Any one familiar with the Toshiba D-XS32?

17. adambrann

adambrann Member

To all that are having problems copying from HDD to DVD with no audio,

You need to update the firmware to at least version 1185 for this to start working. The audio cpy issue was fixed with that release. You do not have to wait for the newest one coming.

I have 2 of these recorders and have them both at the 1191 firmware and working pretty good, but most with this recorder are using the 1185 version until the new version comes out.

You can get the 1185 or the 1191 version of the firmware at my ILO firmware download site

http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

I hope this helps

[bold]rob730[/bold]
    I have heard that the Toshiba model you are looking at has a problem with the black level bug. I was looking at getting one of those myself and decided against it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. gdvd

gdvd Member

Hi,pafrank

I had same problem with closed caption too. It seems that it doesn't have this function. So exchange it with CyberHome VDR1500. It works in some cases, but doesn't work on other cases.

So, I still try to find another to try( for example, Sanyo or Pionier)

19. jsganz

jsganz Member

So...what's the verdict on compatibility between the
    DVD+R/RW's recorded on the DVDRHO4 and playing them back on other DVD players?
    Did the firmware upgrades solve that at all?

20. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

Hey I just got a NEW firmware from ILO. WMEA1097.E20 I would post it but have no clue how