1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one have a ilo DVD Recorder With 80 GB Hard Drive, DVDRH04, from Wal-Mart,is it a good recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Joecephus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics Member

That does make some sense. I don't have digital cable or a surround sound setup. All I will have is the iLO and a TV.

Here is what I was thinking of doing:

Coax split from the wall to both TV and iLO "Tuner IN"

Connect the iLO to the TV via RCA audio/video in (this is how I have my DVD player connected to my TV so I can timer record something with my VCR and still watch a DVD on the "input channel" on the TV tuner).

This should allow me to be able to watch any TV channel via the TV tuner and still set the iLO tuner to any other channel to record.

2. blkgold

blkgold Member

I just got my DVDRHD04. So am I to understand I need to 1st download the new firmware before using? It seems to me most everyone is pleased with the ability to record a show onto the hard drive and even to record the same show to dvd is assuption correct?

3. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

The new firmware will fix some issues the recorder has. It also includes a drive update.

You can find the newest firmware at my ILO Firmware Download site. It also has a hacked version that adds a couple of new features.

Good luck

4. blkgold

blkgold Member

Thanks alot it seems to working like a charm. If something comes up I will let you know.
    I have been recording from my minidv going into the port in rear and it is working fine thank alot again.

5. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics Member

I am probably going to purchase the iLO this weekend, but got to thinking if the verison with the HDD would be more than what I needed. About the only thing I would be doing with the iLO is recording TV shows that I will miss while being gone. Would you all recommend the iLO DVDRH04 or the DVDRHD04?

Another question:

While recording a TV show on the HDD version can you watch a DVD?

6. ede67

ede67 Member

[bold]Beware ilo will not play all DVD movies[bold]
    Spoke to ilo tech support on 2/28. They have a bug in the unit that it will not play DVDs using a type of Sony copy protection. When you play one of these moves that players locks up to the point you must unplug to reset it. Before you ask no current firmware update will fix this. When I called ilo tech support they confirm the issue. The tech even had a list of movies the player would not play. Must be something new from Sony as only new releases are affected. Problem is ilo has known about this bug since December and still does not have a fix or a date on when it will be fixed. Scary that we have a DVD player that will not even play store purchased movies and is still be sold.
    Here is my post on this.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165557

7. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

ede67

So how come no list of some of the movies that won't play ?

8. Nick2

Nick2 Member

After owning this ILO for about a month now I have come to the conclusion that this machine is a piece of shit! It won't recognize CDRs without a fight, it won't let me merge some videos together, it won't let me place a chapter mark in some videos I record, the damn cd tray locks up and won't open, and today it refused to let me split a recorded television show that I let run over by 10 minutes. I recorded a 30-minute "Roseanne" episode that I let record for 41 minutes because I thought "hey, no problem, I'll just chop off the last 11 minutes". Well it fucked me. OPERATION CANNOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE OF THE DISK ERROR or some shit. Maybe it's the spirit of my VCR getting back at me. ILO sucks. Wal-Mart you suck even more for selling this lead paperweight. Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks. Should have bought a Sony.

9. baboo

baboo Member

I don't think anything can compete with tivo it will copy the programs you select and if there is a show you really enjoy you can select a season pass and get that show everytime it comes on you have your choice to record to vhs, I do that when i want to put it on a dvd+r disk. I do this by running the vhs tape thru my vhs recorder in the computer room to my computer thru pinnalce studio 9 edit and I take out what I want before I start the burning process. Perfect movies everytime

10. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

Guys The Philips HDRW720 do4es everything a TIVO does. Has a TV GUIDE lets you have different inputs. Works with Digital cable (atleast i know with Cablevision) Records to DVD. The Buffer is upto 6 hours, tivo is 1 hour. You dont have to hit the TimeSlip button.this is automatically same xact as tivo with more features.and you can record to DVD+R ....120gb hard drive. Picture is perfect 3 inputs....with tivo if you want to use the other input you gotta pay extra.....Read the papers TIVO is dieing. Ilo 279 plus tax.....or the Hdrw720 philips for $308 at bestbuy......30 bucks more so worth it people. FIRMWARE UPGRADEABLE ALSO Target sells it for $499 but go to a BESTBUY store they have it on sale for $308 dont buy it online.

11. baboo

baboo Member

For your info Tivo is not dieing and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to use it $99.00 and it works great Copy anything I want tO. without spending a fortune.

12. ande1352

ande1352 Member

wow.. you guys seem to be having a lot of problems.. since i upgraded to the hacked 1193 firmware i haven't had any problems to speak of.. i've recorded over 20-30 movies already and countless shows - not a single problem.. not even any coasters yet.

13. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

Hi ,

This is my first time posting, but have been visiting this site for a while now. I have to say my experience with the HD04 has been good. The only problem is the green tint( I've written to ILO about it and they are working on a fix), and other than that, I have been happy with it. I have tested all functions(except Ilink)by backing up many video tapes and editing them, and they all seem fine. BTW, I've had it for about two weeks now.

Al

14. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

Tivo 40gb $99
    You have to pay extra to use all the extra features like season pass and to switch different inputs you have to pay extra with the $13 a month package.

Phillips HDRW720 120gb with Dvd recorder $308
    TV GUIDE( Season pass recording 7 day guide ALL free)
    Record to dvd....6 hour buffer (adustable) vs 1 hour tivo........TIVO IS DEAD, I will take the ILO dvdhdro4 over any tivo even though it has problems with firmware. But for $30 bucks more the philips is way better in every way than both.....

TIVO is dead!!!!!!!! Mark my words there going out of business..sales are down for the past year and a half.

15. SpudNuts

SpudNuts Member

Nick2, You didn't mention weather you applied the latest firmware patch. If you havn't, do it. I've read everything about the ILO before my purchase and most of your problems were fixed with the latest patch. I patched mine right out of the box and I havn't yet to have any problems (other than the color tint that everyone has been yacking about). I've recorded from TV (Analog Cable), Digital Cable, Front Inputs (From my DVD player), front inputs (From my VCR) and have successfully copied all to DVD+R's without a problem. Every file was split, merged and edited with chapter marks without problems.

I did alot of research before my purchase, wanted to make sure I was getting something worth the price. I was even going to shell out over $400 for one but the ILO is the shiz-nizzle. Some say it the best bang for the buck, I say it's far worth more then the price.

16. zambonima

zambonima Member

I can not find any place that has a Philips HDRW720 for $308. Where did you find it?

17. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

You have to go to the store BESTBUY in person. I got there Brand NEW for $308.target and other stores sell the Philips HDRW720 for $499. Go in person to BESTBUY. I got it at BESTBUY in NYC

18. baboo

baboo Member

Now I know you don't know what you are talking about,you need help real bad ,have a nice day byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

19. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics Member

Bestbuy.com does not even have that Philips listed and the Best Buy here in Lawrenceville, GA does not even carry any Philips DVD/HDD recorders.. only Panasonic.

20. DonnyDon

DonnyDon Member

again i bought it in NYC BEST BUY......BRAND NEW....like i said you have to go to the store.....IN PERSON, i said if you look back DONT LOOK FOR IT ONLINE. BEST BUY SOLD IT...I BOUGHT IT FROM THEM.

And i do know whAT IM TALKING ABOUT....IVE HAD A ilo, tivo(sucked), rEPLAYtv, AND NOW THE PHILIPS....BLOWS ALL AWAY.