1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one try Kanotix?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dolphin2, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I've been looking around at different versions of Linux and came across this one. Would like to know what others think. It's Debian based. A Knoppix version that has been improved upon. Seems very stable. A good selection of programs that are included. A ready to run firewall without manual scripting (just needs to be turned on when running Live. Turn on the first time after install and save configuration). Will run well as a Live version. Will work on both 32 and 64 bit systems. Can be run as a server. Quick to install. Is said to recognize more hardware than any other (sees everything on my system without any effort on my part).

Any way, if you get a chance, check it out. http://kanotix.com/

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

I am using kanotix currently, i personally think it is a very good distribution, you can just get the knoppix cd and install off of that, under debian based.

it has many advantages, plenty, and i mean plenty of packages are installed already so there is not too much fuss, it uses apt instead of yum, which is a bit better. the KDE is in my opinion better than gnome in many ways, the only problem for me is that i am trying to get my HSF connexant modem to work in there and i cant use a prebuilt package cause there are none, however i shall just use source files for it.

so overall i say go for it, its worth it definitely and if you choose not to like it (if you downloaded knoppix) then you will still have a EXTREMELY good live distribution compatible with many file systems if something ever ***** up. :D

3. Pheonicks

Pheonicks Member

You can probably just download the rpm and convert it with alien (which is prolly preinstalled on your system).

sudo alien yourfile.rpm

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

thats what i do, however sometimes you come across somethat dont work properly. for example, the wine binary, since i switched from fedora to kanotix, i had a whole bunch of rpm binaries, so i used alien and i converted it, but there were multiple errors that resulted in an unuseable wine, so it all has to be configured to YOUR system specifications, so thats what i am doing with the HSF driver.