1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any one with a LG VX8100?

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by dejahboi, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

i was wondering if any knows any kinna codes to convert the mp3 to be a ringtone.....i'd appreciate anyone who may help...thx

2. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

3. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

Midi??

4. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

There are several different Music formats. QCLP being the lowest quality; basicly voice tone. Then there's Mid, Midi, MP3,WAV, WMA, etc. You can, in most cases, rename what ever music / Tone format you have to a different one so it will be recieved and saveable. i.e. Most MP3's with the MP3 extention changed to Mid or Midi will most likely be saveable when sent via e-mail, whith the MP3 sound quality.

5. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

so what process do i have to go through in order to use the mp3 as a ringtone on the phone??Its verizon too so getting ringtones is little different but it has a mini sd card...so have i no clue

6. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

Your right about vzw. Their GIN monopolizes all content download. I've found, numerous times, when you put a "Sound", even at ringtone length, into the "My Sounds" folder via mini sd, it will either not show up; but still on your card taking up space, or if it does show up, 99 % of the time it's somehow been converted to the worthless QCLP format. I've been lucky here and there after converting sounds thru Quick Time 7.0.4 Pro and e-mailing them to my vzwpix add. they'll ocasionally end up as midi's, which is'nt bad. As far as getting a true MP3 formated tune to your phone, I haven't figured that one yet. But we have to remember geting tunes to the phone via mini sd or e-mail, they will always end up in "My Sounds" gallery, which can't be used as a ringtone. I use them for certain contact ringer ID's, send them with a picture or simply e-mail them to a phone or PC. I also at times record some BS, which stores in that gallery and send it with an apropriate picture to someone...I'm easly ammused. Sorry I did'nt have the answer for you....yet:)>

7. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

thx for couple ideas...but man, i hope you get there soon

8. tenon

tenon Member

unless your computer has built in bluetooth you can buy a bluetooth usb dongle for you computer from ebay for about $11 to $15 (which could be cool bc no wires needed and can be used for other bluetooth peripherals as well such as a headset)
    or
    you can buy a usb cable for the lg 8100 at ebay for around $8 to $10 and then install the drivers (make certain that the cable comes with the drivers disk). this is the option i went with.

download a freeware program called bitpim at bitpim.org.
    take a mp3 and edit it down to 30 sec (you can use a freeware program called audicity from cnet.com)
    you can also go to the music section at walmart.com and sample music from cd's (they happen to be approx 30 sec long) you can use freeware audio_recorder_for_free from cnet.com, it works just like a tape recorder to record that sample to your computer.

open bitpim and click on the ringtone tab. then click add button. you'll be given a few options, such as bitrate, ect.
    bitpim will translate the mp3 for you.
    then you just have to add the ring tone to your phone by selecting "send to phone" on bitpim.
    btw if you have a palm pilot make sure that the hotsync is not loaded even in the windows icon tray bc it interferes with bitpim.

i hear you can also just add the ring tone to a mini sd card without the use of bitpim, but i have no idea how to get the lg to use it. dont know if that is easier or harder to do since i have yet to try that.

thats the free way of getting ringtones to your phone.

you can find help for bitpim at the bitpim.org site by googling "bitpim forum ringtones"

good luck

9. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

First, I give you credit because I can tell you have some know how under your belt. But, as I do as well, originally steared him away from BitPim because he was wanting to go that rought for just getting content on his phone and to the appropriate folder/Gallery. At that point I explained the method of using your card and reader and after conferming all items are in their proper format send them to the new drive the reader creates and then go there to drag and drop them in their proper folders. He had the card and reader, just not the know how yet. I also stressed it's much safer then messing w/ BitPim. I've had plenty experience useing it and am aware of the, in most cases, irreversible damage it can do to your handset regardless of you backing items up and how briliant you can be with it and it can still do a freeze, accidental deletion, anything ! As I'm sure you already have, read countless threads on howardforums site of Experts, going by the book and still have a fatel error. in my opinion the free cost factor going w/ that program is not nearly worth the potential variety of expences. We also know, they'll be no refund or exchange from vzw or LG using that third party, nonreccomended software. And THERE are ways that they can tell that you've used something illegal in their policy. And as far as the ringtones are concerned, eveyone is at kind of a freeze with that at the time, with the exception of Mr. Costly GIN. You can go to download.com/mobile and theirs countless freebie programs to download that will change the lenghth, bitrate and even format of one of your sounds, but then you can either get it to your phone through the card but you can only put it in your My Sounds folder, which being there can't be used as a ringtone and after puting your card back in with the proper formated sound in most cases will not show up in your My Sounds gallery nor any other one. But it's still on your card taking up space. And when you e-mail it to the phone it not only costs you a Pic message but ends up in the QCLP format. Now I've, on a number of occasions used my latest ver. of Quick Time Pro (ver.7.0.4 is avail, ) to first play it , and then export it to be sent and it ends up in the midi format. If it's originally an MP3, just change the extension to .mid or .midi. But once again it's sent to My Sounds gallery were it's worthless as a ringtone even though it can be mail to another phone, pc, or pix place. We're just stuck because bieng with vzw, you cant download anything on mobile web while other carriers you can go to coutless sites were you can send a tone to a WAP url and then go to it to download with it ending up were it belongs. Theres even WAP sites you can go to like wap.tagtag.com and download tunes or wallpaper from and it goes to the right gallery. Were just screwed right now due to those reasons and being w/ vzw. But eventually someone will find a way. That''s why I always visit http://www.howardforums.com and go to Carriers / Verizon wireless / cell phone discusion / LG. There's countless members who are experts and come up with solutions like this or Video related, fix a known bug on a certain model, even as far as geting free WAP and GIN appts. ! Well enoughs enough, I just would and don't mess w/ BitPim and even now "experts" who quit messing with it too for the reasons I've mentioned. And this Gentleman who's seeking help and advice on this should really not work with it at his knowledge level, mainly when it comes to BitPim and other simular programs. Just my 2 cents, not claiming to be even close to being an expert, expecially compared to some of those hackers on the forum...

10. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

First, I give you credit because I can tell you have some know how under your belt. But, as I do as well, originally steared him away from BitPim because he was wanting to go that rought for just getting content on his phone and to the appropriate folder/Gallery. At that point I explained the method of using your card and reader and after conferming all items are in their proper format send them to the new drive the reader creates and then go there to drag and drop them in their proper folders. He had the card and reader, just not the know how yet. I also stressed it's much safer then messing w/ BitPim. I've had plenty experience useing it and am aware of the, in most cases, irreversible damage it can do to your handset regardless of you backing items up and how briliant you can be with it and it can still do a freeze, accidental deletion, anything ! As I'm sure you already have, read countless threads on howardforums site of Experts, going by the book and still have a fatel error. in my opinion the free cost factor going w/ that program is not nearly worth the potential variety of expences. We also know, they'll be no refund or exchange from vzw or LG using that third party, nonreccomended software. And THERE are ways that they can tell that you've used something illegal in their policy. And as far as the ringtones are concerned, eveyone is at kind of a freeze with that at the time, with the exception of Mr. Costly GIN. You can go to download.com/mobile and theirs countless freebie programs to download that will change the lenghth, bitrate and even format of one of your sounds, but then you can either get it to your phone through the card but you can only put it in your My Sounds folder, which being there can't be used as a ringtone and after puting your card back in with the proper formated sound in most cases will not show up in your My Sounds gallery nor any other one. But it's still on your card taking up space. And when you e-mail it to the phone it not only costs you a Pic message but ends up in the QCLP format. Now I've, on a number of occasions used my latest ver. of Quick Time Pro (ver.7.0.4 is avail, ) to first play it , and then export it to be sent and it ends up in the midi format. If it's originally an MP3, just change the extension to .mid or .midi. But once again it's sent to My Sounds gallery were it's worthless as a ringtone even though it can be mail to another phone, pc, or pix place. We're just stuck because bieng with vzw, you cant download anything on mobile web while other carriers you can go to coutless sites were you can send a tone to a WAP url and then go to it to download with it ending up were it belongs. Theres even WAP sites you can go to like wap.tagtag.com and download tunes or wallpaper from and it goes to the right gallery. Were just screwed right now due to those reasons and being w/ vzw. But eventually someone will find a way. That''s why I always visit http://www.howardforums.com and go to Carriers / Verizon wireless / cell phone discusion / LG. There's countless members who are experts and come up with solutions like this or Video related, fix a known bug on a certain model, even as far as geting free WAP and GIN appts. ! Well enoughs enough, I just would and don't mess w/ BitPim and even now "experts" who quit messing with it too for the reasons I've mentioned. And this Gentleman who's seeking help and advice on this should really not work with it at his knowledge level, mainly when it comes to BitPim and other simular programs. Just my 2 cents, not claiming to be even close to being an expert, expecially compared to some of those hackers on the forum...

11. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

12. tenon

tenon Member

good point, was getting ahead of myself. took me days to figure out that method by combing through forums and still had to do alot of trial and error. and you made a good point about possibly permanently screwing up the phone. (theres a disclaimer on the bitpim website that says as much)
    if you find a way to do it by simply sending it to the mini sd card i would love to know.
    its frustrating that verizon crippled the phone to make us have to buy into a data plan.

13. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

That was allot of information since that last few days guys, but yeah, thanks for the heads up, what sucks now is that my left speaker is blown, so it rattles(wish i can replace it), but yeah, hopefully people can get it going, and bitpim...is it some kind of program where you can see the files in your fone, or is it like hexing?

14. tenon

tenon Member

well, its an attempt to create an interface for the phone like the palm pilot's desktop. the cool part is that you can enter information on your computer like ringtone or datebook scheduling on the program's interface and then tell it to send info to the phone.

the bad is that it's not the most developed sofware and may void your warranty esp if it irreversibly locks up your phone. dont know how high that risk is.

15. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

where do you find the part?

16. tenon

tenon Member

umm, are you sure you wanna risk it? remember, you are messing around with the phone's internal programming. even the bitpim website states that there are no warranties and software may damage phone. and i gotta tell you, since its open source, it doesnt have the best support. i basically had to look for my own answers when something didnt work (most of the problems are specific for your own computer and operating system) Bitpim wouldnt work for me the longest time and i was almost ready to give up trying to get it to work when i stumbled on the solution (and i still pray that i dont fry the phone)

well, if you want it, the website for the free download of BitPim is
    bitpim.org
    if you go to that web site, there are screen cap examples of what the program looks like and a explanation of what the program does.
    but you still need either a usb cable or a bluetooth adapter to connect your computer to your phone (which can be purchased at ebay if you did a search for "lg vx8100 usb cable" or "usb bluetooth adapter" and i read some people purchased the stuff from radio shack too)

I did a search on google and found mentioned on one of the forums that an older version of the phone allowed you to simply add ringtones to a ringtone folder on the mini sd card (something about ver.4 vs the newer ver.7 i think) but no one makes mention of anything specific. also mentioned was that if you had the newer version, you could still use a hex editor to edit some sort of config file on the card and add the ringtones to the card but again, i did not find specific instructions. plus i dont think i want to mess around with a hex editor.

btw, when i said "cool part is that you can enter info.." i meant that the cool things the program can do is...
    , but keep in mind, it was difficult for me to get it to work and there are risks involved.

hope this helps.

17. hazmatcop

hazmatcop Member

Well, like I said, It's been a real challenge sending / assigning tunes to Ringtones, But as far as MP3's; unless you have the new VCAST Music Store which is pretty awsome,Video's , JPEGS, MID's or MIDI's that will hopefully turn up as such in "MY Sounds" Gallery in stead of that unGodly QCLP format, I just first verify the items are in the correct format; or they will either not show up and / or not play, then right click on the culpret and send it to your New Drive that your Reader created; i.e. mine is Drive G which can obviously be found at your "MY Computer" BTW: the new drive is usually at the bottom of the list of destinations, then when done, I go to My Computer, open the New Drive and find I think 4 folders; MY Flix, Pix, Sounds, MP3's / Music. Drag N Drop items to appropriate folders, exit New Drive / My Computer and once at desktop if you DON'T have Win. XP, you must right click on the New Hardware icon, the Left click it were a Window with 3 different items will show. Click on your new My Drive link, and when the second one opens, do the same and a Yellow window should pop up from your lower task bar saying it's safe to disconnect your Reader. Then just click close on that last window to close it. I know you Guy's know, but make sure your phone's Powered OFF B4 putting in your card and fireing it up to see what kind of damage I caused you to do !

18. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

has ne one tired this procedure?