1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any quality differences?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by fishbulb, Jul 9, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I'm thinking about downloading the trial of nero to see how it compares w/ DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for user friendliness and quality of backups. I was wondering if there is any difference in the quality of my backups. Does nero produce a better one or are they about the same since nero also uses DVD Shrink? Also, should I just dl Update-Package 1 or do I need to dl more than that? I already have the nero OEM suite for CD-rewriters and combo drives. Don't know if that would make any difference.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i think i've only used Decrypter one time for burning, think i did it as a test for some reason, can't remember though.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I use both methods all the time and haven't been able to tell the difference. Shrink can open either one. I like having Nero because it has a lot of other features I like. I wouldn't get it just to burn DVDs, IMHO.

4. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks guys. I have had tremendous good luck (knock on wood) with DVDD and Shrink. Ripped and burned a few hundred discs w/ just those two. I think I may have used Nero once and Clone DVD once. Both worked fine. I just thought I might give Nero a try again if there were any advantages to it over the others. Been so long since I used it, I don't remember much about it. But if I decide to try it, do I just need the Update-Package 1 or do I need to dl other "Packages" too?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Update package 1 has Burning ROM which is the one you would want to use with Shrink.

6. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Isn't Shrink bundled w/ Nero now? Is it in Package 1 or another one? I would like to try Nero's version since it is probably newer than the one I have.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The closest thing to Shrink in Nero is Recode2 in update package 2. It can't decrypt like Shrink can though. I am starting to use AnyDVD with Recode2 now. It's a pretty good combination, IMHO.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I was thinking I heard a while back that Nero "bought out" DVD Shrink and the only way you could get an updated version of Shrink was through Nero. I must have misunderstood what happened w/ all that.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Actually the guy who made Shrink now works for Ahead and that is why Nero Recode 2 looks alot like Shrink.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and with having nero you can do alot more things with it other than just burning dvds ,backup files,data cds/dvds etc. so its def. a great tool to have on your PC

11. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks fasfrank. I knew it was something like that. I may dl nero and play around w/ it to see how I like it.

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

As aabbccdd said, it has a lot of features and is one of my favorite programs.