1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any solutions for TV guide download failure in Panasonic units?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by DebraCo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. sparc21

sparc21 Member

Ok,
    After more with 4 days running my E500HS without U99 (but still no TV Guide)I decide to reset it again using this time channel-up-channel-down and unfortunately the U99 problem resurfaced. I guest my unit got stock with some mode which prevent him to download TV guide since during these days it was always switching channels on my cable box which I assume it was searching for feed channel. Now I don't even have a channel line-up just a black box in place were listing should be.

Andrew

2. bns70

bns70 Guest

Andrew:

You should check out the other thread on the U99 issue. The conjecture on that thread is that it is an issue with the data from Gemstar or your cable company. Anyway, some people are reporting what appears to be progress/relief on the matter.

Best,

Philip

3. bwcathe

bwcathe Member

Some great news today. No U99 error and all of the programming seems to be there from TV Guide. Panasonic and Gemstar must be reading this forum. Here was the sequence that worked:

1) Do the firmware update. http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...oads?storeId=15001&langId=-1&page=DVDFirmware
    2) Reset the the unit by holding down the up down CH buttons on the unit for 5 seconds or more.
    3) Say a prayer to the DVD Gods.
    4) Wake up next morning to find everything back to Normal.

4. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

bwcathe : not to burst your bubble, that is the firmware that has been there for quite a while, I did the upgrade almost a week ago, ... I have a channel line-up, but since saturday, "No Listing" on everything, .. the firmware upgrade may get rid of the U99, but not fix the TVGOS Data.

RX7 Fan.

5. bwcathe

bwcathe Member

No bubble burst for me. I have not had a u99 error and I have the TV Guide programming correctly downloaded. It is working just as when I first bought the unit in April this year. I won't post a message again unless it errors out again.

6. bwcathe

bwcathe Member

U99 is Baaaaack! Here is what happened. I was doing something on my unit. The unit locked up. It just wouldn't do anything. It was still putting out the tv program, but I couldn't channel switch. TV Guide didn't work. Nothing responded... Lockup. So I pulled the power cord and of course all of my TV Guide programming was gone. My scheduled programs were still there. Next morning at about 7am CDT, I get a U99 error. I have since again reset my unit to factory defaults with a blinking 12:00A on it. We shall see what comes of it.

7. Coyote24

Coyote24 Member

8. jk5708

jk5708 Guest

I am still having the U99 issue with my DMR-E85. I hafve re-set it several times in the last couple of days, but the dreaded U99 keeps coming back.
    I have read mixed reviews on whether installing the latest firmware really does hlep. I called Cheryl from TVGOS and left a message. Not sure if I'll get a response. Has anyone tried anything that definitely helps, or is this a "wait and see" kind of thing based on new TVGOS software.
    Any advice or info would be greatly apppreciated.
    Thanks -
    Julie

9. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Hi Julie,
    I think I talked to you in a different thread, but the latest is a bunch of rumors that Gemstar (tv Guide folks) have made a change to the data, my advice on that is give it a day or 2, see what happens.

on the firmware, I'd suggest going with the version they have on there website (Panny) it should be, unless changed recently, 0970DL.

The folks on the other thread are just getting anxious, and want it fixed NOW, I can understand that, but the thing still works for all but the TVGOS, so, I'll keep punching in the old Start Stop times, and watch the shows I record.

10. jk5708

jk5708 Guest

Thanks much. I'll update the firmware and then I'll sit tight and wait and see what happens.
    What a concept - setting up the program start and stop times manually. Hmmm!
    Thanks again.
    Julie

11. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

I just posted a series of observations and solutions starting near the bottom of page 24 of that thread. Rather than be redundant and repost, I invite you to read them there.

DebraCo said:
    Recently, there has been major changes nationwide in the TVGuide programming guides--not just at Gemstar, but also at TVGuide.com--which appears to share the same database. In late August, *ALL* of my Gemstar-based PVRs reset their channel seletions, eliminating 2/3 of my channels and *misprogramming* 1/3 of the ones they did list--including a half dozen stations I *don't* get.

I went to TVGuide.com ad *THEY HAD THE SAME BAD DATA* (and still do). They had been letter perfect for nearly a year up until that week--and then garbage. On the other thread, one fellow had his zip code dropped entirely. Go to TVGuide.com and see what they have for your zip code.

The solution for *both* problems is to use TVGuide.com to find alternate providers in your area (nearby zip codes) that have *similar* line-ups. Once you use that zip code, you will repopulate with a new line-up--which you can then tweak to your exact needs.

Finally, check your connections. Hook the PVR as the *first* stop from the wall/cable box. Hook the TV antenna through the PVR. Go to your *weakest* channel (worst picture quality) on the TV and wiggle your cable at each connection to see if the picture changes. Adjust for best picture.

bob

12. ItsLarry

ItsLarry Guest

I wondered about some of these free sites, they may have more options than just using the old VCR+ but seems like since its been around forever it is goof proof????
    Just wondering, related to thread but not a solution unless u have the VCR+ option on your machine...

larry

13. soju

soju Member

Thank goodness for this thread which I saw in an email this morning and I have been able to read to help me keep my cool!! I bought the Panasonic 95 model specifically in April 2005 to be able to record during a 3 week vacation that I just completed yesterday.

What a shocker - came home and put on the TV/recorder to check that the shows had recorded okay. It had recorded from Sept. 28 - Oct 1 and then NOTHING after that with the U99 message flashing on my unit! I was so bombed as this was the message I had gotten in July. The local repair company for Panasonic replaced the PC board at that time and upgraded all the firmware AND assured me that I would have no more problems.

Well, like the rest of all Panasonic DVD recorder owners, I bit the bullet on recording. After calling Panasonic and getting the same old answer - unplug for 10 min and wait for the TV Guide download in 24 hours, I read this thread.

I called Panasonic back because I had MANUALLY set all the programs I wanted to record prior to the trip since TV Guide is so erratic and usually does not list a show longer than 2 weeks. So knowing that I had MANUALLY set all the timed programs, I posed this question to Panasonic - why did it not record since I was not using TV guide? They have NO idea and can't even begin to answer me.

Initially last night I could not even manually program the machine but it now seems to be letting me manually time it.

Just wish they would refund me my money (only bought this machine in April 05 and nothing but problems). Then I could go buy a Sony or something one that is less problem-laden. Frustrating to say the least!

14. Schebby

Schebby Member

Is the Panasonic DVD Recorder with the hard drive a good buy if you are willing to overlook the TV Guide thing? I don't think I would ever use the TV Guide. I prefer manual programming on my VCR anyway.

15. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Other than the TVGOS problem, I personally think it's great, cost and functionality are (in my opinion) among the best around.

16. soju

soju Member

Schebby, for my purposes, I have to have a hard drive so that I can edit and save the shows that I record.

To be honest with you, I regret buying the Panasonic since I have been plagued with problems ever since I bought it in April. Only after the repair in July until the end of September did I enjoy "painless use" of this DMRE95HS model.

Now this problem with the TV Guide seems to be unresolvable.....????? I don't mind doing it manually but as soon as I turn off the TV, I am getting the U99 code which means "unplug - wait 10 min. - plug in" over and over again!"

Should have just invested more $$$ in another brand!
    ---------------------

Will try to confirm today - is turning off the TV Guide feature the better way to go at this point in time? Have read so many different opinions.