1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any suggestions on anime movies any body????

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Phyco_Can, Jun 15, 2005.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

mmmmmwah...................who me i honestly dont know what you mean.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just bought ghost in the shell:standalone complex, volumes 1 to 3 for £20, bargain.

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Were from creaky?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

HMV had a sale on (i never usually go to the big stores as they rarely have sales on good stuff and normal prices are rip-off) (i usually go to CEX where the used prices are great and they have new stuff in nealy every day.

HMV had a few other Manga films on 3 for £20, but no too much of it was on sale.
    btw episodes 4onwards of ghost~complex were full price so i think it's just to entice you to get the first 3. Also i looked on play.com today and they have quite a few manga cheaper. which reminds me, the same 3 first ghost~complex are on play.com for £7.99 each

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

There's no HMV in my town i would have to go for miles so Play.com is looking like the best place and £7.99 is a great price :)

Also has any1 seen Kyou Kara Maou?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I like the Spawn Animated series they used to show it on HBO have the whole collection of it,even though it is probably a older anime it was pretty good.I like Ninja Scrolls also,but don't really have alot of anime.I need to pick up some good anime when I get the chance.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

there not that good creaky i have the ist 5 in that series.I thought the best bit was the 3d opening graphics

8. Nojsy

Nojsy Member

I like shopping at play.com ... I live in Norway and I promise you, it is not a damn place in town that has any anime. AT ALL!!
    But unfortunately play.com doesn't have the greatest selection of anime ... It isn't half-bad though... Fortunately I've got a friend who knows a friend who owns a store. And he is willing to import anything we need! =) =) =)

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK then guys, I had never heard of "anime" 'til I came onto this forum. So the question is, what is all the fuss about? Secondly, being new to it, what anime film would you recommend to a COMPLETE novice?

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

the classic ones to start of with are: akira,ghost in the shell and ninja scrolls.

3 of the all time greats and from there it really is down to what you like.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

So what are they all about? Where do they come from?, Who directs etc, etc....

12. howlling

howlling Guest

most of you anime comes from Japan.. ..though you will find some from
    diffrent parts of Asia Hong Kong, Korea, etc).

In Asia animation is a very viable means of producing films and or TV shows. Just like a film or TV series here in the US it can be about anything..... kids shows, adults dramas, action, Kung-fu etc.

There are some very good director such as Hayao Miyazaki,Satoshi Kon, Tatsuo Sato,Katsuhiro Otomo,Shinichiro Watanabe, and many more.

If you wann try feature length animes try Steamboy, Appleseed(the movie), Princes Mononoke,Perfect Blue or Vampire Hunter D(both parts) a try.

If you are more into TV series Gungrave, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Nadesico ...the list could go on and on... :)

What kinda movie or show do you like? If you could give us an i dea I am sure we can recommend something for you....

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am willing to have a go at anything really! I take it the list you made are fairly popular. I may start with that! And I will have a look at what Andmerr suggested. I take it they are dubbed. Do the stories follow a particular theme, or is anything goes!

Much appreciate the info chaps!

Pulsar

14. howlling

howlling Guest

The stories are just about everywhere. Most of the stuff andmerr and I recommended to you are things that would appeal more to an adult. You know stuff with great stories and pictures!! LOL!!

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Well, I'm 40 in November, apparently that makes me an adult. LMAO!!

16. howlling

howlling Guest

Yeah... I am 30 in October so I know the feeling!! :p

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Pulsar, be sure to check out the Crying Freeman series - great stuff! Lots of violence and good wholesome sex :)

18. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Have to say I've not seen a whole lot of adult anime apart from AD Police which was a 18 but can you really call that adult?

I myself download fansubs that are in Japanese with English subtitles (yes i know it's sad but some of the best anime NEVER gets released anywhere else) three of my fav fansubs include Naruto, based on the popular Manga Naruto is a Action\Comedy\Martial Arts title about a ninja village, it is a real treat for 1st time fansubbers due to the great groups out there that do quality translations, it was also my 1st fansub, the 2nd anime is Bleach as already mentioned by me :) it's also based on Manga and from what I've read on anime forums it stays true to the Manga, it is also a Action\Comedy\Martial Arts title but with a little fantasy thrown in a must see, 3rd has to be Samurai7, this is a Action\Martial Arts title about 7 Samurai's that take on a duty to protect a poor rice village from bandits, it has a great story.

PS

I saw the Samurai X Ova's little dissapointed with that ending as it was no were near that of the real ending in the Manga :( and also got the new Appleseed movie which [bold]ROCKS!![/bold]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  19. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

I have also been watching and purchasing anime. I thought Appleseed was fantastic, also the Ghost in the Shell both 1 &2, and the Stand Alone Complex (7 vol.) I have many others that I found I really liked as well. I liked the new Steamboy. Might not be classic anime but I thought the sound and animation was good.
    MovieDud

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Being a huge fan of the original Ghost in the Shell, I was really impressed with the sequel. Batou just gets better and better - I loved the scene in the Yakuza's off ice where he was going to "just talk" to them :)