1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any suggestions on this setup ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ghost101, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Here's the system i want to build, anyone know of any conflicts here or suggestions? Thanks!

Thermaltake Armor junior case, Black
    Thermaltake 430w PSU
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard
    LG IDE 18x Lightscribe oem D.L DVD-RW, black
    Asus PCMCIA WL-100GE Wireless 54G network
    Samsung Spinpoint P120; 250 GB hard disk drive
    Windows xp home
    1.44m Floppy Disk Drive, Black
    2 x Samsung DDR2 667 1GB
    Intel Conroe (Core 2 Duo) E6700

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

I just ordered some stuff for a new build. After some research here's what I found out. The gigabyte board is a good one but they have had issues with the bios. Suggestions would be a higher watt psu if you plan running a high end video card (I didn't see one listed) and xp pro instead of home if you plan on doing any networking stuff.

Just an fyi here's what I settled on for now. asus p5w dh deluxe, e4300 c2d, x1900 pro 256mb vid card, 2 x crucial 1gb ddr667. I chose this stuff because I plan on upgrading things like vid and memory later.

Good luck on your build.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@ghost

if you plan on adding a graphics card you will need a bigger power unit. i would say 500w or if you plan on ocing it 600w.

@blackjax

with that ram you can still oc to 3ghz with a 1:1 divider before you have to oc your ram, which will be possible and also add a bit more to your total speed.

4. ghost101

ghost101 Member

thanks guys, i appreciate your input. I'll go for a 500w PSU. As for putting it all together, do i have to flash bios onto the motherboard or is it more like 'plug n play'?

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

@marsey99
    thanks for the advice. I haven't done much OC'ing as of yet. Just tons of reading!

@ghost101
    wait to see what bios version is on the board first. If it runs fine don't mess with updating it. If it does need updated be sure to read gigabyte's site on doing this, goole it or come here and ask questions if your still unsure! Flashing a bios doesn't take long but in that short time you can render your MB useless if not careful.

#1 rule don't fix it if it ain't broken.
    #2 if your willing to break it be willing to learn how to fix it. :)