1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any WinAmp experts here?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by boutcrazy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

I want to get some of your opinions before I proceed with this project. I have about 400 music CDs in my collection. What I want to do is rip the favorite songs from those CDs to WAVs. Yes, I know WAVs take lots of space, and I'm prepared for that, but I want the music to sound as good as the actual CDs.

I will rip them on my computer located in our home "computer room". Then I want to get several DVD-RAM discs, and back them up. Then, I am going to install a small footprint PC in the room containing my stereo receiver. On that small footprint PC, I will use the DVD-RAM disk backups to "restore" those WAVs. This way, I will basically have 3 copies of my WAVs, cause I intend to get rid of all those CDs once this is accomplished, and I sure don't want to lose those files. I understand I can get a mini-plug to RCA "Y" cable that will allow me to hook the small footprint PC to an AUX port of the stereo receiver, and play the WAVs through my home stereo receiver and speakers.

I am looking for software that will allow me to, in essence, set up a PC Jukebox. At first I thought WMP would suit fine, but I read on Microsoft's website that a transfer via backup from PC to PC would not work, so that's out.

I am currently looking at WinAmp. I want to be able to sort my music by artist, song, and genre. I want to be able to create, save and play playlists. And then move those files and playlists between PCs. And that's about it. Don't need nothing fancy.

My questions are: Is there possibly an easier way to do this? How would WinAmp suit my needs? Is there a better software out there that would do this? This is sort of new to me, but sounds like a good idea, if it can be done. I've also read there are wireless solutions - attach a USB transmitter to my "computer room" PC; then attach the receiver to ummmm the stereo receiver, but I'm afraid the quality would not be as good as direct connect.

Thanks for all advice.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I am very picky! I have an extream sterio and a very good ear. I would not rate my ear as highly as I rate my sterio. I have alalog junkie friends that believe their ears can here the difference between vinyl records and CDs. I am certain they are full of it!

I rip with PowerAmp using VBR mp3 in the extream mode. I believe it is a tiny bit better than Media Monkey. The VBR extream mode is based on the limits of human hearing, a human should not be able to tell the difference between that and the wave file. That will produce the smallest file that still sounds like the CD. If the top audiophyles in the world can't tell the difference between the Lame VBR extream mode and a wav file it is unlikely you can. You need a fairly good HiFi and ear to be able to tell the difference between 125 BR and a wav file. I have both but I do not claim to be able to hear the difference between a 200 constant BR and an average 200 BR for a VRB created in the extream mode but there are some persons that can. I listen to what they say.

The fact that you have a recever instead of 3 components means you can not have an extream sterio like mine. My speakers can produce sounds from 4 to 25,000 htz. Loud 4 htz tones will rattle a 6 floor building like it was toilet paper! My poweramp is rated 440 watts per channel with peak power above 1,500 watts per channel. My speakers have 1.8 KW fuses which I have blown from time to time. The speakers need 100 watts per channel just to warm up. When cranked in a quite town with the wind just right or just wrong depending on your point of view, could be heard a mile away. It could do so, with less than 1% distortion. It can do that because full volume does not 'push' the amp. It is really a 1000 watt RMS per channle amp with the volume control more than halfed. The sucker weights about 60 lbs! It has huge heat dispersion. The amps start distorting if they get hot. I think I have wipped that horse to death. I care about my music and am willing to pay a good deal to have good tunes.

I had a friend that was making wave files. He has since deleted all his wav files as being a waste of space after converting them to extream VBR.

I use Media Monkey for the player and file manager. Media Monkey has a free version. Obviously, MM does not play as good through my computer as burned music played on a good HiFi. It is very possible MM does not play music perfectly. I don't care because I do my serious listening using an extream HiFi. MM gold is the paid for version it will also do every thing PA ripper will do but it does not use the finest encoders on the market. You ought to check them out before you get Winamp. A large portion of the MM users had been WinAmp users.

MM is a joy to use! It may be the best designed software I have ever used. It is so respectful of the user. Most software that comes with mp3 players care less about anoying the user. Often features are put in to help the owners and to screw the user. That does not happen with MM! I am overjoyed to how carefully the software was designed. While you have software like Zune that doesn't even sync what is on your sync list, you have MM that is designed to meet almost your every whim. It is so full featured it will take you a year to use the advanced features. The best feature for me is the left window. That allows you to view the tunes in different ways. It is the only audio software I have seen that allows you to view the software sorted the way it is stored on your computer. You can edit tag info in a global fashion. You can run VB scripts to to very fancy things to your music.

MM will let you create mp3 DCs and DVDs. A CD will hold 10-12 hrs of music and most good CD players will play them. Most will even play the DVD versions that hold 100 hrs. You can also plug your ipod into your sterio. You really don't need a computer next to your sterio. I would prefer to have my HiFi system generate the sound vs a computer sound card. I suggest you check out the options for your self but I bet the mp3 CDs and MP3 players will wind up being your solution.

I suggest you do a good bit of research. Browse the Win ASmp forun and the MM forum. You will understand who uses what and who you identify with. Google 'lame encoder'. I would also look into the theroys of audio compression and audio recording. See why you can lose a great deal of detail and not hear the difference. Most people can't hear 20,000 htz. Some young persons can but even then not very well at all. Most of the information in music on your CDs is devoted to sound above 20,000 which very few people care hear above the age of 20 and they do not listen to music. Listing to music tends to reduce what you can hear over time. Not only are there 2000 more data points with a 20,000 htz note than a 10 htz note but you must sample at 40,000 htz to correctly capture that note. So you need 4000 times the space to capture a 20,000 htz note than a 10 htz note. Chances are you can hear that note any way! There are other ways to remove information that you can't hear because it is masked by another note that is louder. It is always best to research before you start on a project. Ihere are some other great mp3 players out there however, I am too happy with MM to even look at them.

One last thing, MM will sync most mp3 players. The sync utility is obvious and does what you tell it to do. It allows you to easily swap out music. Most software does not allow you to remove music easily from the mp3 player. They want you to buy a bigger player. I have a 4 gig nano. I routinely, swap out about a gig of music. I could not do that without MM.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007