AnyDVD 5.9.1.1, 2006 02 15 AND CLONECD V5.2.8.1

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by ireland, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Quick question. Where it says:

- Note: To use DVDDecrypter with AnyDVD set I/O Model to SPTI or ElbyCDIO. Set CSS Cracking method to none. Disable checking for structure protection.

Does this mean disable ONLY the option that says Check For Structure Protection under DVD Decrypter's General options? Or, do you also need to disable Remove IFO Structure Protection under General, and the similar options under File Mode, IFO Mode, ISO Read Mode, etc.? I take it to mean from my understanding of how DVD D worked that only the Check For Structure Protection in General is necessary. Because, if that's not checked, then, nothing is flagged as possible structure protection to be removed by the other Modes. But, I wanted to make sure and see.

2. Irish13

Irish13 Guest

Hi, I'm on the trial versions of ANYDVD and CLONEDVD and love them. I have no problem buying them but I was wondering about ANYDVD since it is set up to remove protection. Are there legal implications to buying this. Probably a dumb question but I'm in Canada and don't know how this is covered here and since you have to give your credit card number and I'm afraid of big brother, I was just wondering.

3. SLaTheR

SLaTheR Regular member

The ONLY way to backup DVD's is to defeat copy protection. According to the MPAA, all DVD copying is illegal, whether you make a profit at it or not. Apparently the FBI and Interpol seem to agree with the MPAA according to the warnings on all DVD's. Although fair use copyright laws seem to allow it so long as you have purchased a copy of the media you wish to backup (go figure).

I go by the assumption that if you own it, you can back it up. Not everybody on the planet agrees with that though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  4. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Depending on where you live, it may be a straight forward answer, or an unmitigated mess, like in the US. Anyway, if there is no copy protection on the DVD, and you own the DVD, you can make 1 copy as a backup for your own use. If you don't own the source DVD, that's obvious. You obviously cannot sell the DVD copy you make even if you own the source. And, not all DVD's have protection on them. For instance, most public domain films have no CSS or anything on them. Since no one has the rights to such films, like silent pictures in many cases, there is no one to lose money except the DVD manufacturer should the disc be copied. However, such manufacturers know the market for such of their discs is a niche, and, thus, there won't be rampant copying. So, they don't license CSS because it would cost most to do that versus the potential savings of potentially lost sales.

Now, if the disc is protected, like most, with CSS, ARCOSS/Puppetlock/Sony's Folly, or Macrovision's RipYourGutsOut, then the US law muddies it up because the studios don't WANT clearly defined laws that tell people what they can do with their property. And, the courts don't want to deal with it because it is vague. A catch 22 where one hand washes the other. The only legal conclusions are:
    1.) 1 copy of a DVD you own, as long as you still have the original in your possession, is legal
    2.) making the copy is legal
    3.) the software that makes the copy is legal
    4.) using software to bypass the copy protection is NOT legal because of the stupid Digital Millennium Copyright act.

In the end, what this apparently says is copies and copying aren't illegal, but bypassing the protection, which you must do to make the copies of protected discs, is illegal.

Slysoft exists in a country where the laws are... whatever they are :) and they can sell the software. What users do with it cannot ever be their concern. Otherwise, gun shops would be put out of business because a gun can be used during a bank robbery and to murder people.

5. nero_123

nero_123 Regular member

do u need a chip to play ps2 games that have been copyed by clonecd?