1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD vs DVD43free

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fab5_dv, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Can't get any better than that.

Now THAT, is a highly debatable statement. ;>)

2. brobear

brobear Guest

CTxpress
    I've found AnyDVD works good with everything. It doesn't hurt to leave it on unless one is really strapped for system resources. I leave it on even when ripping with DVD Decrypter. It gives an edge when it comes to dealing with encryption systems and it is nice to know I have one of the best programs working. 321 went out of business some time ago and it's been a while since the 321 programs have been updated. Using AnyDVD gives the older ripper apps an edge they'd lost over time.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

bigorange
    Hopefully the reference was to the copacetic, symbiotic relationship of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. If it were a comparison to quality software apps, I can think of a number of combos that are better.

4. CTxpress

CTxpress Member

Brobear
    Thank you for the advise.
    Actually I do like these 2combination(AnyDVD & CloneDVD). But some how I still like 321Xpress just the feeling thing you know!. Eventually I will switch to AnyDVD & CloneDVD. Just like you said nice to know that you have the best software in your PC.
    Thanks again y'all have been kind
    BTW AnyDVD works well with DVD Shrink also

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Everything sort of covered it. Yes, like many others, I consider AnyDVD to be one of the best. I can say Clonedvd2 is decent, but it comes up lacking when it comes to working well with big movies. I can name a few good programs that are superior. That was what bigorange and I were referring to.

6. CTxpress

CTxpress Member

Brobear
    Tell me,tell me,tell me,tell me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CTxpress, Here are pretty much my favorite backup apps out of the 30 or so that I have.

Intervideo DvdCopy 3. Absolutely in the top two apps for quality, easy to use, and very very fast. Works well with AnyDvd.

DvdRebuilder and CCE Basic. Rebuilder is free and CCE Basic is 58.00. Probably the best compression app/combo on the market today. No editing required for the most part, handles compressions of over 50%. Setup is a little intimidating, operation is easy. Only compresses. Movie must be ripped and burned by other apps.

Pinnacle InstantCopy 8. Very very good quality. Not as fast as DvdCopy 3, but close in quality tho much slower. Where Copy 3 may take 45 minutes, IC 8 would take 1 1/2 -2 hours. BUT, Also much cheaper(20-25.00) Also works well with AnyDvd.

Shrink and Nero Recode, both are good apps, both are better than CloneDvd 2 and MUCH more versatile. Not as easy to use, but shrink is free, and Recode comes in the best all round multi purpose video/audio app out there, especially for the money. In fact you can use the trial version indefinitely until you decide to buy. Recode also works well with AnyDvd.

BTW, AnyDvd is the best "on the fly" ripper today, IMHO.

Hope this helps :>)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hopefully the reference was to the copacetic, symbiotic relationship of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. If it were a comparison to quality software apps, I can think of a number of combos that are better.

brobear, EXACTLY ;>)

9. ricoman

ricoman Member

bigorange,
    I'm not familiar with DVDCopy3, I can see that it has more features, but are you saying that the video quality is better that CloneDVD2 (which I am using). How do you compare rip/burn time. I am very happy with AnyDVD/CloneDVD, but am alway interested in something better.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Usually around 45 minutes start to finish including burn. Fastest backup app I know of. Quality equals RB/CCE which I consider the best.

11. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

BigO: When you say 45 minutes including burn, is that a normal time for you? Notice your system is faster than mine (1.5 Ghz vs your 2.8) and your ram is double mine. It takes me about 40-50 minutes just to rip to hd and haven't been able to burn yet (using Decrypter & Shrink). I'm having a problem with my piece of crap burner (external LiteOn 851SX) that refuses to get past 58% burn no matter what media I use. It also won't even burn a CD! Will be buying a new internal burner in the next couple of days, after I decide what I want.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yeah, that's for me. That sounds awful slow tho, for yours. Tho lack of memory is probably the no.1 reason for slow PC's. Defragging your hard drive on a regular basis and make sure your IDE settings are set to DMA will help tremendously.

13. ricoman

ricoman Member

bigorange:
    I can do a 2 hr. movie 30-35 min. rip & burn with AnyDVD/CloneDVD2, so the big question is: Is the quality any better with DVDcopy3. I know RB/CCE is supposed to be the best but I hear it takes 2-2 1/2 hrs. I quess I'm trying to find the best compromise between quality and speed.

14. ricoman

ricoman Member

Good point, bigO, if you burn a lot of movies to your HD then delete the files, you [bold]must[bold] defrag frequently or it will slow down your whole system.

15. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

BigO:

I defragged my hd right after I started to try burning (per the excellent guides/people here) and have done it about once a week. I have 512 mb ram and my IDE settings are DMA. I have convinced myself (because I am frustrated) that it is my external burner. I have USB2, but I have never liked having an external burner.

16. RitekRG

RitekRG Member

Have found great success/comfort utilizing CloneDVD v2.5.4.3/AnyDVD 4.1.1.2;
    Would like to move upto newer AnyDVD version, but have
    noticed some note compatibility stalls w/ either v4.5.5.1 or 4.6.3.2.
    Has anyone tested CloneDVD v2.5.4.3 and either AnyDVD;
    what is proven to work well together ??

Thanks,
    RRG

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ricoman,

ok, ONCE MORE, DvdCopy 3 measures right up there with RB/CCE and is very fast. I'm not sure of how much of a compromise you're looking for. BTW, RB/CCE takes about 3-4 hours usually, for me anyway....Either way, IMHO both are far superior to Clone Dvd 2 when high amts. of compression are used.

Of course this is subjective by it's very nature and only another opinion, but I think most Copy 3 users would agree.

Tsquare,

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I have 3 external burners(since my bay only has two slots, one is my DVD-ROM drive, and the other is my LiteOn burner). And to be truthful I can't tell any difference in performance as far as that goes or whether they're USB 2.0 or Firewire. Of course brand wise I think my Plextors are far superior, but, for me anyway, everything else seems equal. It may be more the burner than the fact it's external.

If the files play on your PC after you've backed them up to your HD, but don't play after you burn them then you would figure the problem lies in the burn or the media. By sending the finished files to your HD you can definitely narrow the problem down drastically.

18. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

BigO: Good point about playing the files already on the hd. To be honest, I never thought of that. I assumed (I know) that because I could not complete a burn (got up to 98% one time, but usually not more than 58% - 69%) that the burner was/is the problem, This seemed to make more sense as I could not burn a CD with it and I could with my Plextor CD burner. I might rip a movie to the hd and see if I can play it.

19. ricoman

ricoman Member

bigorange,
    Thanks, you stated that more clearly and I appreciate your patience.

ritekrg,
    I haven't had any problems with any of the combos you mentioned. I get update notices and update promptly, never had a single prob.

20. RitekRG

RitekRG Member

Thanxs Rico,

Guess will update to latest and then fall-back to 4.5.5.1 if necessary.

RRG