1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD won't run after upgrading

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kissmiss, Apr 15, 2006.

1. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@kissmiss,

That is an excerpt from a previous post of mine in this thread. To be more clear they may be in the process of researching this issue to see if in fact for certain systems there is a conflict. I sent them an email with my findings (including my solution also in my previous posts) and have not received any response as of yet. No need to debate the lack of what you feel as a customer the service you are receiving here on afterdawn...as no one here represents slysoft so you are trekking along the wrong path.

How about other than replying with more issues with slysoft you give a brief on what new changes you made to your pc prior to updating anydvd. Afterdawn is used for technical advice (free of charge) so think of what/ where was the last time within your pc that all was fine with your pc prior to updating anydvd. Did you add anything other than slysoft or microsoft updates before this occurred? something to think about before you reply.

2. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

I run XP Pro SP2 auto-updates and AnyDVD. No problem whatsoever. Probably you installed a new piece of hardware?? or software??

3. brobear

brobear Guest

@Kissmiss & DVDGalore or anyone else needing help:

We're not affiliated with Slysoft. So, we're unable to give you a refund, supply a key, or even to intercede on your behalf.

DVDGalore, you said you came to see how others are faring. As has been pointed out, the majority is doing well.

Kissmiss, we understand you're upset because your program doesn't work. All we can do is assist by trying to help figure out the problem. We're not clairvoyant, so it has to be a combined effort, your help included.

For anyone interested, bad mouthing Slysoft helps nothing, that's just venting. Since most people have good luck with the app, the embarassment tactics don't work too well. This is the wrong portion of the forum for that anyway.

Kissmiss & DVDGalore... If you'd like help, we're here. If you want to say you have a problem with slysoft, no need to keep repeating yourself, we heard that the first few times. If there are links to threads here at AD or other forums, we're interested in those so we can check to see what kind of problems others are having. We'd appreciate your assistance here by your supplying those links. If you have knowledge we don't about apps that interfere with AnyDVD, we'd appreciate your list so we can compare that with other users experiences along with links to where you got the info or how it happened in your cases. As you've seen, even with Windows updates that came into question, not many have mentioned having a problem and those that have, 1 so far, can't say conclusively that was the cause. His now works.

To sum it up, if you want help, we'll help. You need to help us though by supplying info and stop trying to bash your software. It's yours, not ours. Supply us with your system specs and OS. Kissmiss has already supplied us with the info that he had the AnyDVD in Safe Mode which wasn't supported by his OS and it started working a bit after he turned off Safe Mode. With the ability to open the app, he should be able to use Settings and the About Window where he can retrieve the serial. Even if the program only opens up, you should be able to open the About window and retrieve the serial. Surely if the Safe Mode in the Program window is functional, the About window will open. Slysoft is normally helpful when shown they're dealing with a customer. If made angry, no one is going to help, try to be civil. No store or bank is going to let you walk off with the goods or money on just your say so. Receipts, bankbooks, debit cards, ID, and serials for software are just something we all live with.

So, we've heard the complaints, duly noted. Now help us help you or stop trying to annoy everyone by trying to argue that you're being persecuted. I've volunteered to help, and others have already been trying. Now it's your turn to get involved. Otherwise the Slysoft folks over at CDFreaks may be more interested in your complaints. This isn't the complaint department.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ brobear

No one else here could have put that any better to Kissmiss and DVDGalore. Maybe they should exchange email addresses and bitch at each other, the atmosphere would be sublime. To be a fly on the wall for that chat, priceless. LMFAO

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Thank you. In the past I've heard I've appeared to be a gruff, surly old bear. I'm turning over a new leaf and being a more kind, gentle and fun person. LOL See, I now chuckle and smile. :)

6. Kissmiss

Kissmiss Member

I'm outta here. Matt posts in such a patronizing way that I had to take an antacid. Matt, all the things you and others are continuing to suggest I do I have long ago tried. After 25 years of working with computers I RARELY have any use for tech support. In fact, I am usually on the "support" end of such calls.

Brobear clearly you have not read my prior posts. AnyDVD ver 5953 worked in safe mode. AnyDVD ver 5956 did not. I made NO hardware or software changes except for some windows upgrades which I reversed as a part of my basic troubleshooting. That did nothing.

I never once suggested I felt I was attacked so I don't have a clue what that comment was all about.

The thing that just floors me, however, is that so many of you think it's alright for a software company to sell you a little tiny program for $40 and then refuse to do anything (5+ days and counting) to assist you. If, in fact, Slysoft is working on a solution to this problem (which is NOT uniquely mine) then don't they owe me the courtesy as a paying customer to send me SOME kind of a response to that affect?

I am staggered by the unwillingness of anyone but DVDGalore to suggest that this sort of behavior on the part of ANY software provider is unthinkable. Everyone else keeps making excuses for them and trying to tell me that I have no reason to be upset with them. I just don't get you people.

BTW, Slysoft's website is in St John's Antigua but they cash their checks into a bank in someplace called Mallow, Cork, Ireland. Sounds like a totally up-and-up sort of an outfit to me.

Maybe if Ireland lives nearby he can go ask them why they don't seem able or willing to offer tech support, or to even respond, to any of their paying customers. Oh I know. It's unfair of me to expect to receive tech support from a company just because I paid them for their software.

Unbelieveable.

7. gamename

gamename Regular member

well im not tech support, but i do work on quite a few pcs. i suggest to anyone now days to back-up ur pc (apps,pics and music)often. ive seen alot stranger things than that. try to find ur reg# for slysoft, then reformatt. ill bet it works just fine then. im currntly using 5.9.5.6 with no problems.

8. ireland

ireland Active member

i am from galway cork is south.and a very long drive,
    [​IMG]

this is up in case the other does not show,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  9. Kissmiss

Kissmiss Member

Once again, no one seems to be reading my posts. I found the reg# and sent it in over a week ago. I had received a response from Slysoft early Sunday (which was worthless) but I have received nothing since then.

10. ireland

ireland Active member

Kissmiss
    i did why did ye think ye got the map,
    cheers

11. gamename

gamename Regular member

reformatt ur pc (burn it clean), re-install windows, whatever u want to call it. then re-install each app 1 at the time. u are having a conflict somewhere this should help find it. be sure to back up ur valuable files music,video,pics,apps,ect.

12. Kissmiss

Kissmiss Member

It's not THAT far, Ireland. I measured. It's only a couple of inches on the map, even on a 20" monitor. How hard could that me? hehehe.

13. Kissmiss

Kissmiss Member

gamename, at the risk of repeating myself................

I have 1.1 TERRABYTES of hard drive broken up into 4 separate drives. You think that the answer for me in dealing with a $39 program is to reformat everything and start over? You can't be serious.

We got a tail waggin' the dog here.

And thank you, Ireland, you seem to be the the only one who cares enough to read my posts before responding, sniffle, sniffle. Where's my hanky?

I'm sending you some hagus as a reward. Or is that Scotland I'm thinking about?

14. gamename

gamename Regular member

r u running a raid set-up? if so then i understand. if not then ur os should be on 1 hdd. i set mine up so the os is on a 50gb partion. i can reformatt just that partion with windows and not lose anything.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Kissmiss
    Bye.

The post I made wasn't made to you alone. Due to the venting it was sometimes difficult to tell exactly what happened when. That's why a good help thread leaves off the theatrics and tries to keep the help tips going in an orderly manner. You mentioned wanting to try to embarass Slysoft into action. You chose the wrong forum. This thread has been mostly statements about how poor Slysoft is handling your problem and DVDGalore complaining. Neither of you have really gotten involved with seeking help. You know more than the rest of us and have already tried all our suggestions. Seems we're of no help.

From my post and what AnyDVD states about Safe Mode support, I didn't think Safe Mode was supported with your OS. I read your posts. Mostly Slysoft won't respond to you and the little app isn't supposed to be "the tail wagging the dog" and you're a long time expert who is usually the one called for support instead of needing it. Sounds like you should be qualified to fix or troubleshoot your system. Many of us have it working.

It was a cover all post. DVDGalore did.

No one said they did. I'd be upset if someone stiffed me for $40. However, I'm not in your shoes. I've had AnyDVD for near 2 years and it's been trouble free, including the latest version. The use of hyperbole with the [bold]MANY[/bold] having troubles and no supporting links to help us research has been aggravating. Without some substaniation it leaves us to believe this is a very isolated incident. Many of the AD members use AnyDVD and only the isolated incidents have been reported. If there was a major problem, I believe there would have been a major hue and cry by now. We're still waiting for links that show the [bold]MANY[/bold] problems, but so far none have been posted.

If in fact they're doing nothing to assist you, then that is bad business conduct. See, someone besides DVDGalore can agree there. In fact I suspect many of us feel the same on that point. It's the venting and exaggerating along with no semblance of seeking help or supplying links to claims that bother us here. This is a help thread, or was supposed to be. Had you posted in the Safety Valve, you could have had some real fun. You could have really gotten vented there. LOL

It's no secret why some software vendors need to have their operations in a spot such as Antigua. Were they located in the US, EU or other countries agreeing to the copyright protection laws, they would be out of business with anything that remotely resembles having the ability to bypass digital copyright protection. I prefer seeing Slysoft where they are.

Let's see:
    We agree a person should get support for software.
    None of us suggest it's okay for Slysoft to ignore customers.
    We can't understand it effecting [bold]MANY[/bold].
    We can't see it as anything but an isolated incident.
    We don't understand why you opened a thread in a help section to try to embarass a well known software vendor with a proven good product.
    Once saying your thought Slysoft did you wrong is sufficient.
    Help threads are for those needing help with software or hardware.
    You are a professional who knows more than we do.
    You don't need our help.
    Why post in a help thread.
    Why do you misunderstand and realize we can't help you because we're not affiliated with Slysoft?
    You turned the thread to be about you and your treatment by members from getting help for AnyDVD.
    Which brings us back to the question of why would you even seek our help since you are aa experienced and talented professional?

We bleed for you, but it seems we can't help. Slysoft posts at CDFreaks I hear.

Sad, but believable.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Ireland
    How far is it from Galway to Cork by road? I never could keep up with those crows. LOL

17. Pudder

Pudder Member

The New windows update last week is what has caused all the problems There were 5 little goodies Microsoft figured you needed, and something in that has messed up any DVD and clone DVD. So while Slysoft is trying to figure out what to do....Use system restore (Easy to do)and set it to before the up date, then go to control panel, then Security Center and turn off your Microsoft udates.... until Slysoft has a chance to fix it... 5.9.5.6. works great.....But it needs to be tweeked to work with the new updates.....This will work....And for now it is the only work around......THIS WILL WORK..............I'm not a Newbe to computers.........

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Pudder
    We realize newbie is only a title for number of posts here at AD. A person could be a professional in computer repair and capable of writing software and still be an AD newbie. Then there's a lot of novice users that come to AD for help. A world of difference in the newbie category as far as knowledge of PCs go and most of us realize that.

Could you help us out as to why some people are trouble free with Windows XP SP2 and a few aren't? We have those who keep their systems current with the Windows updates, who installed 5.9.5.6 and others who've waited to install it and possibly gotten more updates and still no problems. A lot of people are trouble free. If it's the Updates, many of us with them aren't suffering AnyDVD failure. In fact my system is loaded to the wazoo with codecs and apps and not a peep from my Slysoft apps.

What tweaks are needed for AnyDVD to work for those having problems with the latest versions of AnyDVD? I'm also curious why the updates didn't effect the older installed versions. Any idea? Or is it just something in the installation of the newer AnyDVD version? Why does mine work without tweaks? Will you supply some links to material on this problem, not just some people complaining? It would be okay to see some of those as well to guage how pervasive the problem is becoming.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with every patch except the one that enable WDRM media players to interact with Windows.
    AnyDVD 5.9.5.6 is working perfect, so is the rest of the PC.
    I'm not going to add the last patch mentioned, so have no idea if that could be a problem, but as I suppose most updated PC probably have it loaded, its not likely to be the culprit.

20. taldy

taldy Guest

I installed the latest Windows updates yesterday and then installed the latest AnyDVD version after it. AnyDVD fired up fine after reboot and I have backed up a couple of movies since. But, I will keep an eye on my laptop to see if there any problems. My XP SP2 is fully updated and I've got CloneDVD2 as well and that's fine (but I don't think I have the latest version of that). The MS website suggests problems with opening My Documents etc and I've had no problems that way, but I think it's worth noting other users problems/no problems and keeping a watch on both updates (WinXP and AnyDVD).