1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. suziq_nc

suziq_nc Member

I got the Emerson DVD Recorder for Christmas. So far, I am NOT impressed. After a couple of tries to get the right DVDs, I think I am all set there. My question is, has anyone figured out a way of hooking up this POS to be able to copy a dvd? We've tried hooking the dvd player up to the tv input, and the recorder to the tv output, but that hasn't worked. I have a VCR too, that we can throw in the mix if necessary. Very tempted to take this thing back and just forget it.

2. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi suziq_nc ,
    I had some problems hooking the recorder up also. Do you have a cable box? That is what caused my problems. You should run the cable into the in on the recorder and out of the recorder to the TV and run your RCA outs to the TV, "for the display to work on the TV screen", or in my case RF Mod. and run what you want to record, DVD or VHS player out to in on the back or front of the recorder. Should work, If you have a cable box it is diffrent. Let me know if this helps. Also I stick with BeAll, Maxell, and TDK for this recorder and nothing over 4x.

Good luck,
    Chris Budman28

3. gsr852

gsr852 Guest

I just returned the Emerson yesterday and purchased the Sanyo DRW1000, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I am so pleased with this unit in EVERY way possible! One thing though, anyone reading this thread know why when I am recoding a previously recorded 2hr tv show, from vhs to dvd, though I should get 2hrs of record time on the SP setting I am only getting 1hr 56min of record time? It is really frustrating.

4. ECW

ECW Member

Hi all. Just got the Emerson DVD Recorder model # EWR10D4 at Wal-mart. I need help getting the DVD's I recorded on the Emerson to be able to play on other players and on my PC. I have recorded using DVD-RW. It plays fine on the Emerson but when I put it in my PC, it says "Unreadable or Corrupted Data". When I put it in my Apex it says "Bad Disc". I need to be able to play these discs on other players. Can someone please help? TIA

5. nvalket

nvalket Guest

got the emerson dvd recorder for christmas also and i cannot connect it...i am using a digital cable box and a vcr.I also wanted to ask what dvd's i should use i bought maxell dvd+r's is that compatible with this recorder...any help would be appreciated!

6. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi nvalket ,
    I also had that problem, just have to hook it up in diffrent ways until it works.
    Do you have your cable box hooked up to your VCR so you can record the channel from the cable box and watch the regular channels on your TV? That is how I have mine. Let me know and I can see how I have mine hooked up. May send you a PM. when you try and hook it up does it make a loud noise and the picture on the TV looks terrible?

Also, I think there is a post in here where someone was having problems with playing DVD'S ,"recorded in this recorder", in their computer, something about, check out petercdvd post ECW.

Budman28

7. budman28

budman28 Member

nvalket,
    You have to use -r dvd's. I buy Maxell 4x with the yellow label and BeAll and TDK. Nothing in 8x will work.

Budman28

8. nvalket

nvalket Guest

thanks for the help...i bought dvd+r's so i'll have to return them cause i didn't open them.I have my vcr connected so that i can record the channel i'm watching i just can't seem to figure out how to get a dvd to play because it won't show up on the screen.

9. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    RCA's out to the T.V. should work.

Budman

10. maximara

maximara Member

I find it interesting that the Emerson recorder does not
    support DVD-R 2.0 disks when in its manual it says it
    does (pg 27) Has anyone been able to press Emerson on
    this major mess up an why the speed of said DVD-R
    disks is left out of the documentation?

I found that anything over 4 hr speed the video turned
    really bad; bad enough that the higher speeds are
    useless.

Other than those points I fine it very usefull of the
    purpose I got it for - salvaging my rapid decaying
    (mostly made in 1994-6) VHS collection.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  11. Dluvdaddy

Dluvdaddy Guest

I understand that the disk compatibility is a problem with this unit. I found a web site that sells bulk dvd-r and -rw's for a really good price, around 30 cents each for 100. Anyway, all I need to know before I buy any more disk's is will the unit run versions 1.0 and 2.0 disk's as long as they do not exceed 4x and are compatible with 1x and 2x AND are not +r or +rw? Is that ALL that matters? TIA.

For anyone that is interested in the site here it is:

http://www.dvdr4less.com/ct/1x dvd media.html

12. Dluvdaddy

Dluvdaddy Guest

I understand that the disk compatibility is a problem with this unit. I have spent a lot of money on trying to get the right disks. And at best have been hit and miss. I found a web site that sells bulk dvd-r and -rw's for a really good price, around 30 cents each for 100. Anyway, all I need to know before I buy any more disk's is will the unit run versions 1.0 and 2.0 disk's as long as they do not exceed 4x and are compatible with 1x and 2x AND are not +r or +rw? Is that ALL that matters? TIA.

For anyone that is interested in the site here it is:

http://www.dvdr4less.com/ct/1x dvd media.html

13. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi Dluvdaddy,
    I checked out your link. I have used
    Beall 1x-2x-4x Shiny Silver Hub Thermal Printable DVD-R, No Stacking Ring, 4.7GB V2 for General, Media ID G400001, in spindles . I got a 50 pack of these and used about 15-20 so far with no problems. I use Maxell right now with the yellow top, they work perfect and they are 1-4x disc. Don't use Sony, out of ten, two was no good.
    As long as you use a DVD-R that is 4x and under they should work, but all blank DVD's don't work with all recorders. Just remember if it has 8x on the disc it will not work. I use TDK, BeAll, and Maxell. If you are looking to buy off the site I would go with BeAll.
    I have burnt around 100 dvd's so far with this recorder with no problems at all, after I found the right dvd-r. I will stick with Maxell and my second choice would be BeAll.

Budman28

14. prek564

prek564 Member

Talk about not finding the right DVD-R for this machine, I used about 500 of the Memorex 4.7 4X recordable discs without one problem. When I ran out and could not find them. Here is what does not work, office max or office depot DVD-R 4x brands. No 8X's.
    No DVD+R. I use a Maxell 4X and got several error messages, but was finally able to record and formate, but the disc would not play on any of my other DVD players. I can not find the same memorex anywhere, office depot shows it on the web,but after 5 times of sending me the wrong one, I concluded that it does not carry it. My question is this, does this recorder combo have a limit to how many you can record. I did not think it had a memory or storage, I can not find my instructions. HELP.

15. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    I have not had a problem with Maxell 4x DVD-R with the yellow top. My friends use them in their players with no problem. Did you Finalize the disc after recording?
    Do a search on the brand you want.
    There is no memory on this recorder, only recorders with a hard drive has this. I have never heard of a record limit, so that would not be it. If you Finalize the dvd it should play on other players. I have and old Toshiba that was made in 1998 and it won't play burnt dvd's because it is too old.
    I just have the recorder and not the dvd/vcr combo, but should be the same.

Good luck,

Budman28

16. prek564

prek564 Member

I did formate. It will only play on the DVD player -emerson that I recorded it on. I have 4 other different brands of DVD players in the house and they will Not play on any of them. The maxell that I used was DVD-R Data-Video 4X Write once, single sided bar code 62590 in a 5 pack. It is in a blue white cover, the discs are yellow on top. Is this the one you used? I have looked all over the internet for the memorex DVD-R, 4X and no one has it in stock. Help.

17. prek564

prek564 Member

Sorry, I finalized, not formated. THe memorex will play in all my other DVD's and in my friends DVD's.
    Have you share any of your DVD's of other brands and had them work. Or do they only work in your DVD player that you recorded from?

18. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    I got my Maxell dvd-r's in a bundle and they do have yellow tops, so more than likely the same.
    I have had three friends use my dvd's with no problem's. I have used Sony,"junk", Maxell, TDK, and BeAll, and they all play fine, the sony is a little diffrent, I have had a few small skips with these.
    I was using TDK 2x dvd-r, but they quit making them. You may want to contact memorex and see if they are still making them. Might want to check out eBay.
    Not sure why you can't play on other dvd players, really strange. Are you having problems recording a disc also?
    All I can see from the manual is that it says make sure you record in Video Mode for playback in other players, but I think with a dvd-r all there is is video mode and not VR mode.
    There is a number in the maual 1-800-256-2487.
    www.funai-corp.com .
    Let me know if you find the problem.

Budman28

19. prek564

prek564 Member

Thanks,
    I contacted memorex's web site and they said to check with office depot, but after sending me the wrong ones 5 times, I quit. It records because it plays back fine on the emerson that I recorded it on. I don't know where my manuel is so thanks for the web site and number, that is my next try.
    I did order the BeAll that you listed in another reply. I am waiting on them to come. Thanks.

20. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi prek564,
    If the BeAll dvd-r does not work, but the Maxell's should work also. When you call Emerson, might want to ask if there may be a problem with the recorder Finalizing the disc correctly. That is all I can think of is that it is not Finalizing correctly.

Good luck,
    Budman28