1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. daman1

daman1 Regular member

try some 4x disks...if you can find them

2. CharlesAB

CharlesAB Member

boggz , you prob need the firmware update, if you've read much of this forum you will find posts about it. There is a sticker on the emersons with the 800# to call, they will send you a dvd with the firmware upgrade on it, I believe it will let u record on 8x dvds then.
    charles

3. daman1

daman1 Regular member

^^^ yes your right..

4. boggsz

boggsz Guest

Thank you for the help

5. drifter67

drifter67 Member

I was just out looking around for blank DVD's for this model
    and i know some might still say oh if you look hard enough you can find 4x DVD's well the only place i see them now is online which isnt an option for me to buy online, so here in my town there is absolutly no 4x dvd disks anywhere, and since i upgraded to the 8x i bought a stack of 8x maxell which i have no problem with but now the stack of 50 8x in the stores here which include wal-mart and every other store are 16x there is fewer 8x now just like when i bought this recorder new there was very few 4x dvd's, i would say 90% of the dvd's minus or plus are 16x now, i can still find RW- which are all 2x for that format,but in small spindals as usual- so i looked at the brand name dvd recorders which are now down to resonable prices less then 200,on the RCA or samsung i cant recall, box i believe it said write speed 1x,2x,4x,8x,16x- and i know sooner or later just like i said about a year and half ago the 8x will get lower and lower on shelfs, while everyone says oh dvd home recorders wont record up to 16x, well if they dont then why is less and less of the media 8x and going to more 16x? and this big display of 16x dvd's are with the new dvd recorders
    so checked out the other supply of dvd's in an isle away most 16x- so i gotta buy some more 8x to stock up on now, if and when i can because im not taking a chance and buying 16x media only to find out it wont work, and no money refund! *rolls eyes* part of the problem is they just do not make consumers aware enough of the speed! issue! 1x-2x-4x-8x-16x- ect alot of people simply dont understand and its not the cosumers fault, some dvd recorders do not have any info on them about 1x or 8x or whatever, i dont blame people for simply picking up a blank dvd media in the right format for there machine and not giving it a second thought about the "X" speed of it, they teach you to just "make sure" you get minus or plus for your player~
    even the people working there alot of times are uninformed~

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  6. drifter67

drifter67 Member

oh yeah lol~ im aware that maybe the max burning speed of the unit is 8x and if there was a firmware upgrade for the 16x DVD's it would still burn the 16x at 8x, i would still have to have somethng to recognize the 16x disks just to burn them at 8x! and that was about 6 months ago i bought the 50 pack maxells 8x which are now 50 pack 16x i think im just going to buy a newer unit! and im aware things change fast and upgrade and so on! but i just think its dumb to just drop the currnet speed alltogether slowly for the newer speed! its not like if i bought a 16x recorder that i couldnt use the 8x or under disks on them anyhow~and like oh golley gee they would loose money on 8x disks or under if they had to produce them!! because the newer recorders can play all the older ones up to its own max speed!

7. CharlesAB

CharlesAB Member

Hey drifter if you're machine one of the emersons with the newest firmware it will record on the 16x disks. Ive been using them for sev months, no difference whatsoever in recording anything. Its fairly new technology and the industry moves fast-everybody wants the newest fastest with the mostest. Manufacturers aren't just competing for your business, they compete with each other too. Next month somebody will prob have a 64x disk. Dont sweat it.
    charles

8. boggsz

boggsz Guest

does the s-video cable have to be hooked up for the emaerson to record???

9. drifter67

drifter67 Member

well mine is an older one that was upgraded to 8x and my bilfold will sweat it! unless it can use 16x? all i know is when the 4x media dryed up i wasnt able to use if for like 5 months or so untill the firmware, then it was the same thing ohh x8 media is everywhere! plenty plenty! im aware of how Tech things go nowdays, whats the point in making a 16x home dvd recorder to be able to record 1x2x4x8x lmao! thats funny when most of the media its going to be using is 16x anyhow,which will be availble, then so on and so on!until the next speed
    i wouldnt sweat it if i had had it for about 5 years it wouldnt be so bad- sure on a computer you can pull the drive and upgrade it! i sure as heck cant on a home dvd recorder! i have with plenty of computers,
    and im not into hooking up a computer to digital cable and all that-

atleast video game systems life is about 5 years-
    no offense to anyone just my opinion` anyone would be aggravated if you bought something that was obsolete less then 5 years, of having it
    so i will sometime get a new one,maybe when it gets 300x lol` which i expected id have to do anyhow just not this soon! im not daddy warbucks lol~

10. drifter67

drifter67 Member

boggsz- that depends on the context of your use of the s-cable-

if you just want the video signal from the dvd recorder S-cable then you hook the output s-cable from the dvd recorder to the TV S-input cable-
    this just simply displays the picture in better quality onto you screen then RCA jacks-

but if your recording from another device that uses a S-Video cable

you use that devices Out S-video -and connect it to the Recorders S-Video input-

other wise you dont use the S-video to record from cable or broadcasts
    unless otherwise stated-

so the answer is No! if its from your cable or tv antenna~

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  11. me2006

me2006 Member

I am using Maxell DVD-R 8x and recording from vhs. The problem I am having is that the dvd will skip or freeze when I play it on other dvd players. Once in awhile I will get lucky and it will play all the way through. But most of the time it seems to skip or freeze towards the end of the dvd. I have tried several different players. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

12. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

I don't know that I can help you but how old is the unit you are using? Also, has it worked okay previously? Are these discs all from the same batch?

Jesse

13. me2006

me2006 Member

Thanks for the reply. I purchased my unit in February. I have always used the Maxell DVD-R and in the beginning it seemed to work. But now sometimes I can get a dvd to play all the way through several times in a row and then it will skip or freeze and other times I can't get it to play all the way through on the first try. And again this is trying it on different dvd players. I appreciate any help.

14. CharlesAB

CharlesAB Member

Me2006
    Have you cleaned your dvd=recorder lately? or your other players??
    Also, I have used maxell before, no problems, but I would suggest trying another brand of dvd-blank, maxell and some others quality varies, read the 'dvd media' forum for more info. I like the verbatims, OfficeMax has them in this area, and they're on sale for 14.99 or so for 50, at least once a month or so. Watch the websites for them. These emersons seem to want high-quality blanks, and the verbatims are some of the best. I've had one bad dis, that wouldnt finalize ,out of the last 4 50-pack spindles.

charles

15. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Maxell generally is a quality disc. There is alot of outsourcing in the blank media industry though so you never really know what you will get. I have recently had some problems using the Maxell discs. Some do well but I have had some trouble tand I am not quite ready to blame the maxells yet. I record from tv to Maxells (using the Emerson) and then I edit them on the PC. I burn everything on to TYs then.

I would suggest doing what I call a "reset" by unplugging your machine for about thirty minutes. I once had a major problem go away doing that.

Try another brand of disc as well.

Let us know if anything makes a difference.

Jesse

16. motorcycl

motorcycl Member

Hi Jesse,
    What do you use to edit the disc on the computer.

Thanks....motorcycl

17. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

I use VideoReDo. You can download it on a trial basis. Play around with it and see what you think. I have found it to be the easiest and fastest way to edit mpeg files.

http://www.videoredo.net/

Jesse

18. timo721

timo721 Member

Hey folks,

After several months of success with the Emerson, now when I put a VHS tape in to play, the machine shuts off after 6 seconds. I seem to remmeber this being covered here at some point but can't search to find the answer. Anybody know the answer?

Thanks.

19. elbertf2

elbertf2 Member

I just screwed up and posted this in the wrong forum, so I will try it again.

I want to thank all of you on this forum for your kind assistance to we who need help from time to time. Thanks especially to Jesse100 and GregRod, who are always there for us.

I have an Emerson EWR20V4 which I bought new in December 2004. I bought it especially for dubbing VHS tapes to DVDs, but also frequently use it for recording stuff off television. I had been using some Maxell 4X DVD-R disks, but ran out of them. They had a MediaID of RitekG04, which I found out by using a free program called DVD Identifier 4.2.0, which I downloaded from www.thefreeweb.net

I recently bought 50 Ritek Arita G04 4X DVD-R disks from cdrdvdrmedia.com for $13.50 plus $8.03 S & H which works out to be about 43 cents each. And, they work!!

So, a big thanks to all of you who help each other; you helped me a lot.

Elbert

20. ras44

ras44 Member

just got screwed buying a bunch of 16x , salesbuddy said they'd work on my 8x Emerson cause the label says 1x-16x...nothing, any word on a update disc from 8x to 16x from funai