1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have either emerson dvd recorder from Walmart and do you like it?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jbarth, Aug 31, 2004.

1. garyclay

garyclay Guest

Did firmware upgrade today. Seems to work ok. More info later.

2. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

disk arrived with a new ph# to call

they tell you to hit "cm skip" then 6-5-4

it opened a green window telling to insert upgrade disk
    put disk in, and within 3 minutes, DONE
    Take disk out, turn power off for 20 seconds

Recorded a 8x memorex disk no problem just now

3. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    Keep us up to date on the upgrade. If you have any problems with the recorder etc...

Budman28

4. garyclay

garyclay Guest

After the firmware upgrade my recorder seems to be losing the first seconds of recording. Anyone else?

5. thaipppr

thaipppr Member

I had to call Emerson a second time since their customer support agent didn't know that MT , not MO is Montana. Anyways, I had to reorder the firmaware disk and is should be here before TAX day. I did order some blank/ no name 4X disks on EBay and they worked great. Enough so that I bought another 100 disks. Only problem I encountered was the the lack of infornation on the disk was a problem. One of the spindles of disks didn't work, and I had to exchange them. I think maybe they were 8X type. Hopefully the upgrade will take care of this problem. Anyways I love my player/recorder. Will keep everyone posted

6. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi thaipppr,
    Keep us posted if you have any problems with the upgrade.
    Hi garyclay, You are having problems with it starting to record after you hit the record button? With mine it is instant, so with the upgrade it may take a few seconds? Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Budman28

7. garyclay

garyclay Guest

The red record light comes on immediately,but it seems to take about 5 seconds before it actually starts to record. That is the way it does before and after i finalize the disc. When I record a tv program I lose the first few seconds. I have only done two recordings since the upgrade though, so maybe it is me.

8. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

odd
    mine works fine just as before
    no changes, except now the 8x disks work fine as well

9. loos3

loos3 Member

I just bought a new Emerson EWR20V4 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo, i am having trouble with the disk, i used a brand new TDK 4x CD-RW and am stil lgetting a disk error, anyone can suggest me what is the best disc to use? thanks a lot. I am not very good with "machine" so any information you can provide will be great. thanks again.

10. bill02840

bill02840 Guest

memorex, sony and compusa disks work well for me

11. solargame

solargame Regular member

i just go an LG dvd-/+rw recorder that supports dual layer and has 16x write speed. it is perfect, it supports virtually every media type. it burns a whole movie in about 15 minutes. IT ONLY COST ME 50 BUCKS>
    get one at http://www.newegg.com

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  12. vbl2

vbl2 Member

I just bought a used Emerson ERW20V4 and it came without an owner's manual. Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for it?

13. lilmoon

lilmoon Member

Any advice for an old house mom trying to use this blasted DVD recorder?
    I have read the thread with great interest since we own the Emerson EWR10D4 but hadn't been able to find compatible discs since buying this from WalMart in early February.
    Thanks to this thread I now have the correct discs (Maxwell 4x yellow tops)
    Tried to record a Barbie movie for my daughter the other day and all I did was record snow. I went to finalize the disc after recording and saw my error, I forgot to format the disc before recording. So, got a new disc and popped it in this morning to format so we can try again to tape this blasted Barbie movie *very annoying movie lol* and following the directions in the online PDF manual I can get as far as the setup option but it won't allow me to right arrow over to 'Disc' in order to start formatting ??? Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
    Another thing that may be causing some issues here is I am still not sure if we have this hooked up correctly. We have one of those DVR's from the local cable company *like TiVo*, a cable box, the TV and of course the Emerson recorder ... hubby has been on the phone witht he cable company as well as Emerson several times and no one seems to know how this is supposed to be properly hooked up.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!

**UPDATE**
    got Barbie to tape this afternoon but now the problem is there is no color ??? The movie itself is in full color but the disc came out in perfect black and white.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  14. miadlor

miadlor Member

15. garyclay

garyclay Guest

If you are using the S-video cable make sure S-video cable is selected in the select video menu. I had this same problem and I think this is what fixed it.

16. arejay

arejay Member

What lil moon said....

[bold]"....and following the directions in the online PDF manual I can get as far as the setup option but it won't allow me to right arrow over to 'Disc' in order to start formatting ??? Any clue what I'm doing wrong? "[/bold]

I'm having the exact same problem. GaryClay, you mentioned an S cable, but i'm pretty certain mine isn't even in use. The "Setup" button is fine, but when I press the right arrow button, nothing happens, it just won't allow me to highlight "disc".

I was starting to think it was just me, but lilmoon mentioned it, so now I know i'm not alone with this issue. It plays and records fine, but i cant get to "disc". My whole point in buying this thing was so that I could record shows and programs so that I could play them in other machines. It won't let me finalize so whats the point you know? Anyone have any suggestions?

I was also able to get the correct blank dvd's for this blasted contraption thanks to you guys. Cheers to you all, and thanks in advance....

17. lilmoon

lilmoon Member

well, I tried the s-vid setting and barbie was recorded with sound but no picture this time ~ sigh ~ disc #4 ruined.

arejay - I finally found out that I cannot arrow over to the "disc" feature until after I have recorded something. You need to let it write to disc and then it will allow you to hit setup and arrow over to disk where you are given the option to edit or finalize. *format is greyed out on the options available to you*

So, is anyone successfully using this recorder with a DVR from Metorcast or Time Warner? If so could you please tell me the setup of the wires? I can't think WTF else it could be except maybe hubby and the cable company didn't hook it up correctly??

18. garyclay

garyclay Guest

With the power on the unit, do you have "L1" where the time normally displays. If not and you are using the S-Video cable Push "zero-zero-1". "L1" should display on the unit. With the black and white picture and now the black picture, it seems the audio is connected correctly but not the video. Do you know what ports you are using for video? Red White and Yellow jacks or S-Video? If you are using the S-Video Use the "S-Video in" If using the Red White Yellow cable use the "Video in" setting. These settings are in the Set up menu under Select Video. Hope this helps. Don't give up!!!

19. garyclay

garyclay Guest

Lilmoon... If you can't get it working I will give you my e-mail address. Then you can e-mail me with your address. I will send you my phone number and you can call me. I will talk you through the set up. My recorder is hooked up to a Dishnetwork receiver and works fine. Your DVR hook up should be similar to mine.

20. lilmoon

lilmoon Member

garylay was wonderful and tried to help us get this blasted DVD recorder hooked up but it still didn't work ... anyone else up for the challenge?
    we have a Toshiba TV, MetrocastCable DVR and then the Emerson recorder we are trying to get properly hooked up so we can record off the DVR as well as the TV directly.
    My husband was the one who talked to garyclay on the phone so I am not sure of specifics but I know there was a &*$!load of wires all over the place and I guess a question as to what goes where ???
    Thanks in advance to anyone else willing to help and thanks again to garyclay for being such a sweet guy and trying to help us out!