1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard of TVisto??

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by clos915, Aug 29, 2006.

1. clos915

clos915 Member

Sorry if this isn't the proper place to ask about this

It's like an external hard drive only you can connect it to your tv and either watch movies, pictures, or hear music. I bought this device on eBay because it already came with a hard drive inside. (you can get one without the hard drive for cheaper but you have to do the installation yourself) Anyways, its a 300 GB and giving me problems. When I first bought it, it would appear on My Computer as TVisto(H:) or something similar but now shows as Local Disk(H:). It gives me an error when I would try to open it. Sorry I don't know the error because I decided to format it and now says "The Disk in Drive "H" is not formatted... format it now? YES NO" I've tried formatting (full format) but doesn't show to be doing anything on the status of the completion. I've also tried the quick format but says "Windows was not able to complete the format". What should I do?

2. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Clos,

You said you tried the "fullFormat" and had no movement on the progress bar, ... a 300GB drive may take quite a while to format, let it run for about 15min-half an hour and see if there's any progress. Windows won't let you do a "quick format", unless the drive has already been "full Formatted" once. I've heard of these devices before, and seen them on e-bay, if they do what they're sposed to do, ... NICE!!

3. clos915

clos915 Member

Well I actually left it formatting (full) overnight and didn't show the progress. Although when I tried connecting it to my TV again it didn't have the movies I had put in it.

4. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Clos,

We'll have to try to find a forum for this, ... but, what operating system are you formatting it under, and what files system. (I'm guessing windows), according to the web site (Galaxy), they say it can be formatted fat32, or ntfs, might make a small difference. Also, are you able to physically remove the drive from the TVisto itself, and install on the computer, and format it as an internal, then re-install it in the Tvisto? (might be the next attempt at resolution if it's still not working, it would prove the drive itself good if nothing else.)

5. clos915

clos915 Member

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and I was trying to format it NTFS. I have it connected to my recently bought Dell laptop. I tried again the full format the other day and after 4 hours the progress started to show and was moving at a stedy pace so I decided to leave it alone. I got back a few hours later to check on it and had given me the same error as before "Windows was not able to complete the format". The hard drive can be removed from the TVisto but I don't want to mess with my laptop and risk damaging that too. So now what?

6. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Clos,

did you format through windows explorer (my computer) or did you go to page 5 of the manual (manage, disk management ...etc)

Oh, didn't know it was a laptop, .... unless it's a TVisto Lite, the drive is going to be a 3.5" drive, won't work in a laptop anyway. Do you have a desktop computer available? That is where you'd have to put the Drive out of the TVisto to format it, ... and I'm not really sure how that would work either, ... the drive has a folder in it labeled "firmware" I think. Let me do a little more research.

is it the "Lite" version, or the larger 3.5" drive version? the light version is about the size of a pack of cigarettes (a little bigger)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  7. clos915

clos915 Member

8. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

yeah, o.k., the one I was thinking of, .... what I'm trying to figure is if it's the drive itself, or the "enclosure", .... I can tell you're right there now, do ya have them both available?

9. clos915

clos915 Member

I'm at work right now but I can give you the details as soon as I get home. Just tell me what you want to know. Thanks for the help btw.

10. jaybob

jaybob Member

clos

when you first received it, it worked was directed correct?

If so did you indeed format it saying it was a primary partition and it's jumper is set to master correct.

Also you need the four folders on the hard drive as well (movies, music, pictures and firmware and firmware has two sub folders called font and settings)

check all this out and make sure this is correct should fix your problems.

jay

ps they wrok awesome i have a mvix unit (samething) with a 500 gb hdd and have half full of movies for trips.

11. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

O.K., here goes, ... if you need I can get on my computer when I get home, and try to talk you through a few things, but we'll see how this goes first. o.k., here goes,

1. right click on "My Computer"
    2. left click "manage"
    3. click (down the list) "Disk management"

on the right hand side of the screen you should see all the drives in the laptop, one of them should be the TVisto, I think you said it shows up as drive "H" there ssould be a column "Status" across the top right side of the screen, .. what does it say beside the "H" drive? it should say "Healthy", and acording to the manual, probably in parenthesis () active. If not, we've got other fish to fry. if none of that is showing bside "H" , start off with right click the icon for the "H", and see if you have an option to "Create partition", if that option is there, then.. the drive has been "un-partitioned" ... it's kind of like taking apart the filing cabinet that holds the folders. gonna hold that thought for a second, just saw your new post.

12. clos915

clos915 Member

Ok, well it did say (Healthy) that's one thing that would confuse me but I think I can recall myself taking off the "active" part. Anyways I made it active again and going to try and format it. I'll let you know what happends.

13. clos915

clos915 Member

Ok, I tried the format again. This time active. I had to stop it because it was not showing the progress again after 6 hours of waiting. I took a picture of the window for you to see where Disk 1 (H) is the TVisto.

http://www.freewebs.com/clos69/window.JPG

It stayed like that the whole time. Last time I tried the format without a Partition, I used the wizard and like I said didn't show progress till hours later. The progress was to the right, next to where it says "Formatting". Then of course the error display.

---- To Jaybob:----
    I didn't understand your questions but as for the folders inside the hard drive, I can't get in (open the drive). It says the drive is not formatted and asks if i'd like to.

14. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Clos,

Looks like everything is normal there, .... only thing I can think of it try the hard drive outside the TVisto box (i.e. intall it in a desktop pc, and try to format it there), if it doesn't format that way, then it's time to replace the drive (just the hard drive in the TVisto. If you have a "computer geek friend" see if they have an old drive laying around that you can swap out temporarily with the drive in the tvisto, and try to format it. It's too hard to tell at this point, but it looks like it's just the drive, not the tvisto. (no guarantees on that, but I'd bet money on it.

15. clos915

clos915 Member

OK so far I've ran across one guy with the same problem so I'm waiting to see what he does. Something about the File System showing up as RAW on the Properties. Mine's showing RAW too. Anyone know how to fix that??

16. clos915

clos915 Member

Ok, This guy doesn't want to format it. He wants to recover his files so I suggested:
    http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-raw-drive.htm
    I tried the demo version to see if I too could recover my files. The demo version let me see my files but not recover them. You need the full version for that. I don't care about my files since all they were were movies that I had copied from the DVDs which I own.

Anyways, I did what you said RX7Fan and it worked. I was skeptical at first thinking I was only going to freak out opening my desktop computer only to break that aswell. Here's what happend:

I removed the TVisto's hard drive and changed the Jumper to Slave. Opened my computer and connected the 2nd connector on the ribbon then connected the power cable. Turned on my computer and get this... I did the quick format and it worked. One little problem though. It only gave me 128GB so then I turn the computer off and disconnected the hard drive I had just installed. Changed the Jumper back to Master and connected everything to normal on the TVisto. Connected it to my computer with the usb cable and found on the Disk Management that there was a partition so I removed it and reformatted it again (quick). Done! I just made it active and opened the drive to make the 4 directories (Firmware, Movies, Music, and Pictures). Then the 2 other folder inside the Firware (Font and Settings). That's it. I already started to add my movies again.

What I found out: Turns out that somehow I didn't chose the "Safely Remove Hardware" option on the System Tray and messed things up. So from now on it's that or risk losing everything again.

Thanks for all your help!

17. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Clos,

Wow, I've been around for a while, and that's a new one on me (I'm by no means an expert, but around the block a few times) Cool, I'm really glad that worked, .. If I understood you right, all is back in order, and working now, .. other than missing movies.

I keep telling people, "always use the removal thing in the task-bar before unplugging USB drive". This is the first time I've actually heard an account of it messing up a drive!.

BTW, were you able to get the full 300GB back after re-partitioning and formatting?

18. clos915

clos915 Member

Well actually the HDD is of 320 GB. I just thought it was 300GB because it showed up as 298GB originally on the computer. Yes, it shows once again 298GB so everything is back to normal. oh, and I made sure to check if it really was 320 when I took it out of the TVisto.

Anyways, while uploading movies I did run into the problem where I would try to "safely remove.." but gave an error that a program was still using it. This even though I didn't have any programs on and I even logged off and back on again. I ran the disk defragment and when it was done I was able to remove the drive "safely". I don't know what why or how but it worked.

19. saboja

saboja Member

I have two of these TVisto 3500 units however I have not been able to make them work with a 500GB HDD. They both work with the 250GB HDD.

I can see the 500GB HDD if I connect the box's USB interface to my computer. Both HDDs have the same directory structure. I have even dried switching the drives between the two boxes however the result is the same. Drives upto 500GB are supported, based on their product specifications.

20. Thijssens

Thijssens Member

I do have a Tvisto with a 500gb harddisk and it works fine ! Did you already install new firmware ? Mine worked without that, but i have just purchased it a month ago...

Yesterday my pc had a hickup while transferring new iso-files to the tvisto and I am now in the business of recovering it. It screwed the root and gives a message like "0 bytes used" while there is more than 400gigs of movie on it....

Second time this happens to me, probably has something to do with the enclosure, have never experienced this with my other usb/firewire disks. It did happen only when i connected it thru firewire, so mayba that has something to do with it ? I definitly don't want to have this happen again so please advise !