1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Here Use Newzbin?

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by Homesick2, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

I cant get the page to load, and I am fearing the worst.

2. MakarovEG

MakarovEG Member

I use them and it seems to be working just fine!

3. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

Yep. Just checked now seems to be working fine

4. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

ok yea, seems good now... wew! had me scared there for a sec!

5. CawkFour

CawkFour Regular member

i know this has nothing to do with the original topic but when i prefer nzbmatrix to newzbin.

although i just bought another year from newzbin even in their iffy state.

6. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

newzbin is the only nzb reporting site I have ever used so I cant say anything about the other sites, but even so, I still really like Newzbin, I've been a member for about 3 years now.

7. db5304

db5304 Regular member

Yea it was down for me for about 1/2 hour as well. I've always used newzbin's as well, and will be adding more time soon. Remember its christmas time so you can renew up to a year for 1/2 off.

8. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

yea i just bought a year, came to like 14 us dollars i believe.. 7.80 sterling silver anyway.. or close to that.

9. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

Newzbin is also the only nzb reporting site i use. It is well easy to navigate and it's just point and click to get what i want. SORTED. Just a quick question to you guys on this thread. I use Giganews as i'm in the UK it's awesome. Which newsgroups do u guys use and where do u live ?? Just out of interest ??

Wiggy

10. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

I use powerusenet, never had a problem, alyways seem to have the reports when others dont, I live on the east coast of the US.

11. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

Sound.. What's the retention like ? i imagine its around the 230 day mark like Giganews is it ???

12. db5304

db5304 Regular member

I used to use giganews and had no problem w/ it but it was like $24 a month. Now i have found a cheaper one its called usenet.net it only has 120 days of retention, but has 5 connections and i think you can get up to 10mb/s which is what my connection maxes out w/giganews anyways. The bonus is its only 8.99 a month.

13. Homesick2

Homesick2 Guest

that basically what i am using 120 day retention 5 connections, unlimited download no secure connection though, but its cheap like 9 or 10 bucks a month, i believe we are refering to the same provider. and i have never been able to not download as fast as my connection will go. so i am assuming there isnt a very low cap.

14. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

That's cool guys. Fortunately i'm not on a budget so i don't mind paying a bit more for Giganews. I get 20 simultaneous connections and no download cap. The biggie for me is that it's SSL connection too. It always maxes out for me at 15 meg download so iam chuffed with it. It has European servers which is good for me as like i said above iam in UK. Nice to get an insight into what other guys are using.

15. CawkFour

CawkFour Regular member

i've found that in my situation... i download about the same speed no matter how many connections i have. i use 10 right now but if i've tried 15 and 5 and it seems that it all works out about the same.

i use astrawebs. retention is 160. 20 connections(which as i stated above doesn't really matter in my case). ssl. 15$ a month for unlimited.

i'm pretty new to the newgroup scene so i don't have any comparisons to other services. but so far... so good..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  16. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

Yea dude i've been using newsgroups since november last year (2007). Was fed up with 'Torrents.' And same as you !! I get 20 simultaneous connections but even if i set my news reader to only use 10 connections it still maxes out my download potential of my broadband. It's weird and i've never really understood why ??? or what the point of setting it to use the 20 connections is ??? If anyone could shed some light. Anyway the fact it's SSL is good for me as it's my belief that's what helps keep 'The Feds' off my ass so to speak LOL.

17. CawkFour

CawkFour Regular member

not sure the ssl will help keep the feds off your back. if you read giganews FAQ you get to this...
    'Giganews does not release any member information, for any reason, unless specific information is identified and requested by court order. We invite you to review our Privacy Policy.'
    if 'the man' actually is watching you and seeing that you are downloading 100's of gigs worth of stuff every month... i'm sure it wouldn't be hard for them to get what they need from giganews.

it is nice to have the piece of mind though :)

at least in this day and age with streaming media and hd movies... downloading 100 gig's isn't a big deal.

18. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Member

Seen..................... For me i can easily exceed 100 gigs in a week but hey ho i'm not getting into the ins and outs of that. I do get a little peace of mind from the SSL facility :)

I've never understood the Number of connections thingy, maybe under some circumstances you could be running more than one account through your news reader but through 'Giganews' servers and so it means the combination could not exceed the max of 20 connections (In my case)i.e from same IP - just an idea [Trying to help myself understand how it works now it's been brought back into my thoughts]

Cheers guys