1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about networking?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by louispfc, Jan 17, 2005.

1. louispfc

louispfc Member

I've got 2 computers in my house and i want them both to be able to log into the same usernames (not at the same time) without having to use the remote desktop. The same sort of set up they use in universities and schools etc.

I've got the router plugged into one pc and wireless pci in the other both using xp, anyone got any ideas?????

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

should be able to do it with no problem as is. i'm set up on a router with 2 computers & both access the net

3. louispfc

louispfc Member

Yea my internet is fine thats not what i mean, when i say usernames i mean usernames when windows first starts up.

So i would like to be able to have the same desktop settings, wallpaper etc when logging into both computers meaning what changes i make on 1 will also be on the other next time i log in. As if they were the same computer really.
    Thanks

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think you will have to manually set up both computers the same one time. You can network to share drives/printers but I think the user name and settings have to be put into each computer unless you had a central server system to sign on from.

Jerry

5. louispfc

louispfc Member

okay thanks, i thought i would have to buy some more hardware to get that to work. Any idea the cost of these central server systems?

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

The thing your wanting is called a Roving Profile

You will need to set up like a Windows 2000 Server to enable this.

CJC

7. louispfc

louispfc Member

Thanks pal,
    Have you got any info on that, price, how it works etc?
    Cheers

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Roming profiles can be configured on both Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers. Windows 2000 Server is slightly hard to come by and Windows 2003 server will run you about $650 or so. Install Active Directory once you have Windows Server setup and then configure Group Policy Objects to map thinks like users' desktops and document folders to shared folders on the server. Home directories (aka H drive's) are configured by going into the Active Directory Users and Computers tool and configuring the shared network path to the user's home directory in the user's Profile tab.

9. CJC

CJC Regular member

10. louispfc

louispfc Member

Okay thanks people

It does seem a bit expensive so is there anyway to set up an roaming/roving profile on a basic XP Pro?

Also if i have to buy this server software will it all work correctly with a basic router and wireless pci card?

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

First of all, no. You must have a server OS running. Second, if your clients are XP Home, you will need to upgrade them to XP Pro. The router will work fine. The method of connectivity does not matter to the operating system software. In my opinion this is an extremely high maintenance and costly configuration which is prone to many bugs and overall probably not worth investing in. It works really well in large environments where the PC's conform to a dress code of sorts but when you start installing/removing applications from one PC the roaming profile will have problems on the other PC.

12. louispfc

louispfc Member

Thanks for your help

IS there any cheaper server software i could use just so i've got some sort of network?

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If your idea of a network is having your profile follow you from one PC to another, no. If you want to simply be able to share files, folder, and printers from one PC to another you can do that with your current setup. Simply goto your network properties and give each PC a unique name and assign them to the same workgroup.

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

By the time you go through the cost and time to set up the extra server software you would be better off just setting up the users on the 2 computers like I said in the other post. Set up both computers exactly the same with user and passwords one time and you are done. No extra cost or software. If you are networking several more PCs then maybe it would be worth it but the cost is excessive.

Jerry

15. louispfc

louispfc Member

anybody know anything about a "samba server".
    Was recommended but not quite sure what it is.